Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Flash Photography

AndyD999 e2
3 43 6 England
11 Jan 2013 8:07AM
Right Folks quick question....

I have upgraded to a Canon 7D and found that the Sigma EF 500 DG ST flash gun doesn't work with it on TTL as it keeps the flash really high and over exposing the picture. After some research i have found that there is a compatibility problem with it. Given that i don't have enough money to buy a Canon speedlite or even a second hand one as i have just spent all my money on the camera what is the next best option.

I have seen the cheaper ones on Amazon and Ebay but are they actually any good?

I could maybe get a budget of about £100-£150 but that is really stretching it

Your help would be a great help!!

Many thanks

Andy

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

guidoa e2
13 1.4k United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 8:26AM
Look at the Yongnou range, many on this site use it and it is Ettl compatible withe Canon.
minar1 4 16 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 8:56AM
Nissin 622mk2 has ttl and works in slave mode around £110
derekhansen e2
6 200 24 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 9:31AM

Quote:Look at the Yongnou range, many on this site use it and it is Ettl compatible withe Canon.[/quote

I would second this. I bought a Yungnuo a few weeks ago. Its identical in spec to the comparative canon speedlite, looks very well made and so far is working perfectly. Oh and it is half the price.

Gaucho e2
13 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 9:36AM
I would second the Nissin.
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 10:08AM
If you buy a Yongnuo speedlite, you will have change.
This will enable you to buy a yongnuo 1 trigger/2 receiver radio flash trigger set(RF602(3),
which might put your Sigma flash back in action.
puertouk 3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 10:27AM
If you want to use your flash and get the best results, you don´t use ETTL! Go manual and use a light meter. First try this site, Sekonic and look through the training videos on flash and ambient light, using a light meter. You will find doing it in manual will give far better results than ETTL. Hope this helps you.
Stephen
AndyD999 e2
3 43 6 England
11 Jan 2013 10:30AM
People thanks so much for all your advice!!! Very much appreciated!!!!
11 Jan 2013 4:01PM
Hi Andy, i had one of those EF 500 DG-ST flash guns, i soon realized it was the most pointless flash ever produced, it wont do off camera flash, the next model up does though, but thats no good to us is it?

Today i received via amazon a Godox cf-18 flash unit, less than a tenner, was worth buying just to see if it worked or not. It has a built in optical slave feature, so no need for triggers etc.

I didnt expect much, its a weak unit, but light is light at the end of the day, its how its used what counts, as we all know. So i have spent the best part of the day experimenting with it. First i removed the hotshoe from the bracket which comes with it, easily done, just threat the screw through the bracket until it drops out, bosh, will screw onto a tripod bush easily, but tripods don't have great height so i unscrewed the cap off one of my interfit light stands and attached it to the mount that way, thus gaining an extra 3 feet or more, which really matters.

My model was a lovely polystyrene head, after a bit of trial and error i found the sweet spot. The results so far have been quite impressive, i am not diffusing the flash for now, but i will when i use it properly of course, but for a small, cheap, fairly weak unit, its actually very good, not a bad starting point i guess, though in time i may upgrade to more powerful units (i think those mentioned previously have built in slaves too, but i could be wrong), for now its perfect for getting to grips with off camera flash photography.

BTW, I am triggering the flash by using my pop up flash on camera, diffused with lots of toilet paper so not to interfere with the exposure.
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 4:32PM
I sent mine to Sigma with a copy of the receipt/order and they gave me a free/nominal compatibility upgrade fix to make it work with my 60D Smile
Unfortuantly about 3 months later it broke down, but still Sigma was great as helping me Smile

for much of my manual stuff i have used a Yongnuo from ebay for about £30. Love them for that price.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.