Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Flashgun for Canon EOS 60D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Richard_Lloyd1986

Hi everyone,

I am looking at getting a hotshoe flashgun for my new EOS 60D as myself and my friend are setting up a small business venture. We have both got the same camera so are at the moent looking to buy one of everything we need so that we can interchange with each other as we need. We are getting a studio setup as well so that we can take photos at events, partys, proms, etc. with one of us walking around and taking more condid photos.

Naturally, as I have a Canon camera, I am drwn towards the Canon range of speelites. Because of budget constraints I have had a brief look at the Speedlite 430EX II, but am perplexed by it not being able to be used as a Master flash. I have been told of a wireless flash function on my camera which I presume would allow me to use this off camera also.

Has anyone got any advice on which flash to go for? My budget would stretch to about £200-£250 if necessary. Ideally I think that the flash should have a master function so that it enables us to use other flashes if we need.

Hopefully sonmeone can help and if so thank you in advance.

Richard Lloyd

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Mar 2011 - 5:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Draig37
    Draig37  7248 forum posts Wales
    12 Mar 2011 - 5:41 PM

the 430 will act as a slave and not as a master. This means that the 7D and 60D can fire the 430 wirelessly

johnp
    johnp  9136 forum posts United Kingdom
    12 Mar 2011 - 8:30 PM

You say you are going to get "one of everything" to take on pro work. As a pro I can assure you that you have a recipe for disaster. Things always go wrong when you can least afford it and the more you depend on something the more likely it is to let you down. For example, one of my cameras has only gone faulty twice. Both times I was on holiday In Australasia (2 years apart) and both times I had saved weight by taking only one camera body. Having to source a second hand body wasn't funny!

There's much to be said for using two bodies, lenses of different focal lengths and a flash on each body when covering events. Then if anything goes wrong you have the spare instantly to hand.

It's things like this that distinguish pros from amateurs.

Oh, and don't forget to get professional indemnity and public liability insurance otherwise your first disaster could bankrupt you.

John

Last Modified By johnp at 12 Mar 2011 - 8:32 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.