Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Flashgun for D90

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Philo
    Philo e2 Member 464 forum postsPhilo vcard England83 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jul 2011 - 4:12 PM

I am looking to purchase a flash for use on board a D90 and, more importantly, wirelessly off-camera. Nikon's SB-600 or the newer SB-700 seem to tick all the boxes but they don't come cheap. Are any of the third party flashes worthy of consideration?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Phil

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Jul 2011 - 4:12 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
    25 Jul 2011 - 5:26 PM

You need to be careful with Nikon flashguns because we have an assortment and the older models don't work with modern camera bodies. Check with Nikon to see which is the oldest "vintage" that'll work with your D90. We had to offload our older Metz flashguns because they wouldn't couple with the D3 series and give TTL exposure.

Check before you buy!

Philo
    Philo e2 Member 464 forum postsPhilo vcard England83 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jul 2011 - 8:12 PM

This is what I feared William, hence the post. Unless someone persuades me otherwise I think I will stick with Nikon.
    Cheers,
    Phil

StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014469 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jul 2011 - 8:53 PM

Phil, you won't go wrong with the SB600, it is an excellent little flash, with lots of power. I used it on a Nikon D70 for several years, and saw no reason to get anything bigger for what I was doing, which was wildlife. I had a device that fitted to the flash to extend the range and concentrate the beam, it was good for incredible distances. Read Ken Rockwell's review of it on Kenrockwell.com.

Philo
    25 Jul 2011 - 10:16 PM

Thank's Denny, read Ken's review and it sounds great.
    Phil

bugdozer
    bugdozer  1071 forum posts2 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Aug 2011 - 9:42 PM

I can confirm the D90/SB600 combo is good. I use it a lot for off camera flash.

cf73
    cf73  10232 forum posts Australia
    3 Sep 2011 - 10:07 AM

i have the SB600 and agree that it gives really good results. I have never used another flash so have nothing to compare to but I see no reason to change from what I have.
    I use the D90 also.

Philo
    3 Sep 2011 - 12:07 PM

Thanks guys, I think I will be going for the SB600, if I can find one, or the SB700 when funds permit.
    Phil

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73818 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Sep 2011 - 12:41 PM

I don't have the SB600, but the SB900 is brilliant.

The Nissin ones are supposed to be pretty good - check out the tutorials on here from Damian McGillicuddy to see what they are capable of. Remember the SB600 & 700 cant be used as commander units, if you get more advanced. Although you will probably end up using triggers (more reliable)

User_Removed
    3 Sep 2011 - 3:20 PM

I use the SB600 and have no complaints - but most of the reviews in the comics suggest that the Nissin equivalents are equally good, slightly more powerful and much less expensive.

Philo
    3 Sep 2011 - 4:26 PM

Thanks guys, it was Nissin I really had in mind when I first posted this. They were so much cheaper than Nikon which made me a little suspicious. I will check out Damian as suggested but I can't see me getting into multiple flashes for some time so the inability to use it as a commander isn't an issue.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.