Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Flashgun HELP!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    chrisheathcote
    chrisheathcote e2 Member 8241 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
    30 Nov 2009 - 6:56 PM

Im tryimg to decide on a flashgun to supplement my kit. I dont do a lot of flash photography but want something that will give me more flexibility than the built in flash on my canon 350d.
    Have been looking at cheaper models like nissin, metz, sunpak and even jessops own (really cheap at the moment), rather than shelling out a couple of hundred on a canon speedlite, my main question is what are the benefits of a swivel head. Budget it is around the 100 mark.
    Will be doing a little bit of portrait photography, also looking at the good old nifty fifty lens Smile

Hope you can help

Chris

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Nov 2009 - 6:56 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318446 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Nov 2009 - 7:05 PM

There's bounce (sometimes called swivel) and swivel.
    Bounce lets you angle the head upwards so the flash bounces off the ceiling. Swivel lets you rotate sideways so you bounce off a wall. Both have their benefits. If you turn the camera through 90 degrees to do portrait format and keep the flash on the camera's hot shoe, then the roles of the bounce and swivel are reversed. So you then need swivel if you want to bounce off the ceiling. A way around this is to take the flash off the camera using a bracket or stand or hand held.

I still use an old Vivitar 283 it's as accurate as I need and more robust than many modern guns. You don't get TTL but the automatic control is accurate, and you can still find accessories to reduce power, bounce, and filter the flash. The extension cord is well worth having. You'll pick one up on eBay for anything up to 50.

No doubt someone will be along soon to suggest a suitable TTL option. This will be better if you want a more automated system and to take advantage of more modern flash features.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Nov 2009 - 8:20 PM

A must have for flexibility is swivel/bounce, Or you might just as well use the on-board.

You can use a sidemount, That has a hotshoe bracket, Some have adjustable hotshoe fittings, That can in some cases give you the same flexibility as a swivel, Whilst using a basic bounce head flash.

Some of the older side mounts are better ( and cheaper via ebay ) than some of the modern offerings.

That said sidemounts don't suit everyone......!

duratorque
    duratorque  11413 forum posts United Kingdom
    30 Nov 2009 - 9:43 PM

You can pick up a used Canon 430EX on ebay for about 120-140. Its a great started flash gun. It can bounce/swivel and have manual control. This would be my first choice for Canon digital shooter.

G6DDS
    G6DDS e2 Member 5231 forum postsG6DDS vcard Scotland
    30 Nov 2009 - 10:43 PM

I too was looking at sub 100 flashguns as i'm new to photography. Decided to just pay for the canon 580 to save any regrets later on. Excellent bit of kit and glad i spent the extra cash.

chrisheathcote
    30 Nov 2009 - 11:16 PM

any thoughts on the nissin d622?

NeilS
    NeilS e2 Member 7881 forum postsNeilS vcard United Kingdom
    30 Nov 2009 - 11:34 PM

I don't do a lot of flash/ lighting work so please shoot me down if you wish, but recently I bought a radio trigger and 3 receivers on ebay from the far east they came with brolly brackets which will attach to either light stands or tripods, the radio device will trigger any flash light with a centre pin all for 54.

I also purchased an additional old Jessops speedlite on ebay for 7 that will trigger with this set to go with my EX580 and Ex430.

For the limited amount of studio work I do, I could have this had set up ie 3 old manual flashes, triggers and holders for about 75, but would would have been restricetd to shooting flash manually.

But hang on a minute, thats what I usually end up doing any way even when using ETTL controlled flashes on tripods, move them about , shoot, check images, move about again.

My point is why bother when you are learning, just get any old flashes compatible with the radio triggers and experiment

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Nov 2009 - 11:56 PM

Quote: Any thoughts on the nissin d622

Looking at the spec, The fact that it can swivel/bounce etc.

I'd say it would do the job very well, Its more powerfull than a similar priced Sigma unit, And its half the average retail of the Canon 430EX......Smile

Can't go wrong really.....Wink

Quote: I dont do a lot of flash photography but want something that will give me more flexibility than the built in flash on my canon 350d.

The Nissin was probably made for you.....Smile

Last Modified By cameracat at 30 Nov 2009 - 11:59 PM
    LensYews
    LensYews  51309 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Dec 2009 - 12:37 AM

PhotoPlus ran a test on flashguns for the entry level canons in August 2009, and the Nissen Di622 was included there. The main disadvantages against the winner (Canon's own 430EXII) were noisy zoom and recyling, no LCD so you'd have to use the camera's LCD to change settings and the fact it wouldn't operate as a slave unit. The overall conclusion was that it offered the best performance at the 100 mark even with limited controls on the unit itself.

minniema
    minniema  548 forum posts United Kingdom
    1 Dec 2009 - 10:07 PM

I have the Nissin got it off 7dayshop for well under 100 for my Canon 450d. Its a cracking flashgun the only downside to it is the recycling time but for the price can't complain.

Nigeyboy
    Nigeyboy  6537 forum posts United Kingdom
    3 Dec 2009 - 2:19 PM

Thats another vote for the 622. I use one on my 400D, and it does all i ask of it - and at half the cost of the Canon own flash. It swivels, twists and has built in reflector and diffuser, and can also act as a slave unit - got mine from 7 day shop as well - go for it!!

chrisheathcote
    3 Dec 2009 - 2:53 PM

That does it, just ordered the 622, just got to wait for the postman. Thanks everyone for your advice

SSLAZIO1900
    10 Feb 2013 - 5:22 PM

did you get the 622 in the end? what is it like???

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.