Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Flickr "Groups" - Are they really as sad as they seem?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
User_Removed
4 Jul 2012 - 9:26 PM

Left with an hour to spare due to this horrible wet weather, I spent some time exploring Flickr in more detail than I had before.

I came across dozens (there may be hundreds or even thousands) of "Groups" that seem to work on a "Post 1; Award 6" principle or a variation thereof.

The general idea seems to be that you are allowed to post one photograph to the group on condition that you then make an "award" to six others from that day's submissions.

As far as I can tell, it is an inane "mutual admiration society" activity for saddoes who produce generally poor photographs and somehow think that a few totally meaningless awards from half a dozen similar saddoes gives them prestige.

Am I missing something, or is this really an activity for moronic imbeciles that puts the "Click Cliques" of our beloved ePz Galleries firmly into the shade?

For an experimental laugh, I put a small selection of my poorer images onto some of those groups and, within minutes, had them heaped with crassly stupid "awards". Oh Dear!!

Last Modified By User_Removed at 4 Jul 2012 - 9:27 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Jul 2012 - 9:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bigalguitarpicker

It's a variation on "Give yourself a pat on the back!" Smile There may be good groups on Flickr, but i don't know where! I'm in a few groups, but they're special interest, such as Irish Traditional Music, and Irish Megaliths, which tend not to attract the "OMG Your Pictures are Awesome!!" types.
Wink

rvoller
rvoller  233 forum posts United Kingdom
4 Jul 2012 - 9:56 PM

Not much order on flickr, some 'orrible photos with awards and come across a couple of stunning gems hidden amongst hundreds and thousands of snaps with only one or two comments.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64387 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jul 2012 - 9:59 PM

I hate flickr. Such a mess, and totally swamped. Unless you're a special interest group I really can't see the attraction. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

dangertaylor
4 Jul 2012 - 10:07 PM

i'm glad i'm not the only one missing the allure of flickr

NaturesHaven
NaturesHaven e2 Member 2252 forum postsNaturesHaven vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jul 2012 - 10:08 PM

I left Flickr a long time ago..........wish I'd never joined it in the first place..........."Vote for ten or you will be banned" mentality........the admins of some of the groups were like little dictators, had my images stolen then accused by Flickr that I'd stolen my own images........DOH.......and yes I was banned from some groups because I questioned the admins.......and proved they were wrong so I became a target, one mistake by me and I was attacked...............life is to short..............never again.........SadSadSadSadSad

Lots of holiday snappers which is not my cup of tea...........and some very naughty images which were not noticed...SadSadSadSadSad

franken
franken e2 Member 113108 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jul 2012 - 10:13 PM

I had a look once and never returned! Smile

Ken

User_Removed
4 Jul 2012 - 10:25 PM

Thank goodness it's not just me.

For a wee while this afternoon, I began to wonder.

sitan1
sitan1  6473 forum posts United Kingdom
4 Jul 2012 - 10:49 PM

It all depends what you want from flickr as an individual.
Personally I have gained a few friends through flickr.
Had a picture displayed in a gallery in Australia thanks to flickr.
Had pictures in magazines thanks to flickr.
Sold a few pictures through Getty thanks to flickr.
Sold pictures to companies who contacted me direct thanks to flickr, including someone at Buckingham Palace.
And I'm only an amateur who fits photography in between family and work.
So I wouldn't say it's all saddoes on there and it's crap, it's like anything in life, it's what you make of it.

P.s I don't belong to any of those awards groups for a long time now Grin

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8980 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jul 2012 - 11:41 PM

is it really much different than the possi on here? when you really sit down and think about it I find it is not.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 4 Jul 2012 - 11:51 PM
keith selmes
4 Jul 2012 - 11:49 PM

A lot of people use it as a place to just show or share images of all kinds - not just photos - where they don't want any kind of critique or votes etc.

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2012 - 4:37 AM

They are totally and utterly optional. You don't have to take part, heck unless you search for them you don't even have to look at them Smile

I use flickr as my main host for my photos online - I also use the groups as well. There are loads, from generalist brand groups like Canon or Nikon; then there are even whole groups dedicated to single lenses or items (great for finding out a bit of info on specific products). There are even those dedicated around subjects (macro - landscape).

Some of these are lax and some can be pretty informative and in-depth (depends on who runs them).

There are even some good critique groups where instead of awards you give critique to others when you post your photo (And you get some in turn - and yes whilst its all Joe Average there are standards too).

Heck many interest groups also run flickr groups - I know a few forums use them and gaming clubs/companies (miniature armies).

Really the groups are totally user made - start your own; join the ones you want. They are very much like the groups EPZ has - the users make them and suit them to what they want to focus the group around. Run well they are a great asset - flickr just has a bit of an awards culture if you want to take part in it.

779HOB
779HOB  21019 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Jul 2012 - 7:43 AM

I use Flickr only as a place to upload large numbers of photos so the person I took them for can pick the ones they want - I also use Flickr as a source of CC images for use in my day job.

It's just a dumping ground for me. We also use Flickr at work for storing large amounts of photos that we can then use on the website, teaching resources etc - we use Moodle and Flickr integrates well now as a searchable repository.

duratorque
duratorque  11413 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Jul 2012 - 8:14 AM

I use Flickr a lot. There are many groups there, you just need to find groups that interest you and ignore the rest. I use it as my portfolio.

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2012 - 8:54 AM

I also use flikr alot to share photos, Its a great resourse to complement epz. For alot of peaple out there they have no intrest in tehcnical and artistic shots and just want to see them selves. It gives you the ability to post photos that you would not want to share on here. Ive been contacted numerious times by magazines and venues wanting to use my images from Flikr and quite often send the link to my album to verious organisations when I apply for Media passes which have always been approved. I use it mainly for volume rather than Quality as my flikr albums are not edited.
Flikr is what you want it for

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.