Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Flight shots are always too soft..

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93489 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
10 Apr 2011 - 8:05 AM

Hi....when I take a shot of a bird of prey on a perch, invariably, 99 times out of 100, while no masterpiece, it is sharp and well defined.
However when I shoot a bird in flight it is exactly the opposite,99 times out of 100 it is always fuzzy and too soft, rarely sharp.

....how do I get this sharpness that I see in the best shots in the gallery's ?

many thanks.....Mike

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Apr 2011 - 8:05 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3789 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Apr 2011 - 8:40 AM

I am no expert in this skill....but I have learned via tuition and practice.........................Is to to set...

Shutter speed to not less than 1000..........Aperture and ISO to suit ambient conditions.......set focus to Constant..........learn the pattern of the bird's flight if you can...................get it into the viewfinder on approach then pan to match its speed and direction...............some say switch off the image stabiliser:

Focus on the eyes especially

Others more expert than me might have other advice:

hobbo

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
10 Apr 2011 - 10:14 AM

hobbo has summed that up perfectly......Grin

The only bit I can enlarge on is the " IS " or " VR " option....!

According to a tip from one of Nikons chosen few, If your using a shutter speed above 1/500s, There is little point in having your VR/IS running.

Firstly at 1/500s the shutter speed is faster than the IS/VR can kick in.....!

Secondly, It can cause image blur as it tries to kick in whilst the shutter is actually moving, Because its way ahead of the VR/IS speed wise.

Last word on that, Whilst the VR/IS is " ON " it drains your battery faster.....!!!

Just to emphasis " hobbos " words, I find its the follow through that helps, Same as when shooting aircraft in flight, Use the old " Shotgun " approach, Come from behind your target, Overtake it, As it starts to fill the viewfinder, Hit the trigger......Grin When you have a composition you like the look of, But keep following the target smoothly.

Off course you can dial in a burst of exposures, Aka machine gun stylee.....Smile If thats your preferred method, But still follow your target through until your frame has fired.

Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 10 Apr 2011 - 10:15 AM
Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122229 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Apr 2011 - 11:16 AM

All good advice. I would only add that the 70-300, which I also have and love, is a tad soft at the long end and it may be that you're having to use it at 300mm in order to get the in flight shots.

Malcolm

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93489 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
10 Apr 2011 - 3:10 PM

Thanks people...after reading Hobbo's post I checked on some of my sharp'er flight shot's and found that many were shot at 1/2000 and above, some with a high 1000 ISO setting.
I've read that before about switching off the VR above 1/500 th. I'll have to try to remember....not easy Smile
...'gonna try get out tomorow to practice this some more

many thanks all.....Mike

User_Removed
10 Apr 2011 - 3:59 PM

Quote:
I've read that before about switching off the VR above 1/500 th. I'll have to try to remember....not easy Smile

Maybe easier than you think if you reverse your practice.

Keep VR permanently switched off. Most of the time it is either unnecessary or even counter-productive. Just switch it on when you positively do stand to benefit from it - e.g. when taking a hand-held shot of a stationery subject in low light at slow shutter speed.

cheddar-caveman
11 Apr 2011 - 3:24 PM

Yes, as has been said, always shutter priority - at least 1/1000 + with IS off. Adjust the ISO to give you an aperture to cover the birds DOF - an f5.6 will usually do the trick. Oh and use multi shot, on my 7D I use it on the faster >8fps and then - hopeWink

By the way, what camera?

Last Modified By cheddar-caveman at 11 Apr 2011 - 3:25 PM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2011 - 3:32 PM

Quote: Shutter speed to not less than 1000

Quote: always shutter priority - at least 1/1000

I am sorry, I can't say I agree to that.
It is not all about shutter speed.
Have you set the focusing to al servo or equivalent?
Try to use the centre focus point only, as it normally focus faster than other AF points.
Also, switching VR/IS off would speed up the focusing (as have been said)

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 11 Apr 2011 - 3:34 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014781 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2011 - 5:01 PM

Could always just choose a more interesting subject to photograph so you don't have to worry about all this gubbins Wink

bfgstew
bfgstew  7668 forum posts England105 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2011 - 5:02 PM

Aye, buildings, they don't move very fast............Tongue

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014781 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2011 - 5:05 PM

here here!

Smile

lawbert
lawbert  71701 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2011 - 6:09 PM

Quote: Could always just choose a more interesting subject to photograph so you don't have to worry about all this gubbins Wink

What could be more interesting than a small passerine inflightSmile

It also helps you understand how your camera works far much better than letting it take a picture of an immovable object where the only clever person involved was the architect or the clever people who interpreted his plans and bought them to fruitionWink

bfgstew
bfgstew  7668 forum posts England105 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2011 - 6:31 PM

Quote: Could always just choose a more interesting subject to photograph so you don't have to worry about all this gubbins Wink

What could be more interesting than a small passerine inflightSmile

It also helps you understand how your camera works far much better than letting it take a picture of an immovable object where the only clever person involved was the architect or the clever people who interpreted his plans and bought them to fruitionWink

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

ade_mcfade
11 Apr 2011 - 8:20 PM

at least something clever was involved at some point - birds are as thick as pig s...... Wink

lawbert
lawbert  71701 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2011 - 8:33 PM

Quote: At least something clever was involved at some point - birds are as thick as pig s...... Wink

And they have a longer history on the planet than us mere egotistical humansTongueWink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.