Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Fliplock V/S Twistlock

28 Feb 2012 2:21AM
Hi friends,
In my search for a tripod, im faced with another confusion.
Twist locks or Fliplocks? Which is more convenient? Which is more easy to set up?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
28 Feb 2012 7:05AM
I've 6 different varying tripods/monopods here at home, that's the thing with having more than one photographer in the house, but I much prefer the fliplock systems of doing things. I find the twist locks awkward in that I can never remember which way to twist the things in order to tighten or release the legs. With the fliplocks at least you can visually see which leg needs doing up or releasing.......I'm sure others will swear by the other system though now that I've said that.

Ade
28 Feb 2012 8:36AM
Thx Ade. Waiting for others opinion. I havent used a twistlock till now.
newfocus e2
8 644 2 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2012 8:50AM
I've used both and have to agree with Ade on this one. In theory the twistlock should be quicker I guess but in reality the benefit of being able to see visually what's locked and what isn't outweighs that.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2012 10:59AM
I have the Manfrotto 190XProB (leverlock) and the Velbon Ultra-RexiL (twist lock).

For very precise positioning I find the lever lock to be much easier because I can keep my eye at the viewfinder, reach down with one hand to release the lever, control the movement by gently gripping it and then flick the lever shut when it is where I want it. The twist lock needs both hands and I find myself lifting the tripod leg off the ground to take the weight off it. This can be frustrating with low-level macro work when you have gone to the trouble of getting the leg in position under or round other objects. But the Manfrotto also has the movable centre column so will always be first choice for low level work anyway.
I am less bothered by this for landscape work. One things I will add is that on the Vebon the knurls on the twist ring are a bit pointy and if I do not grip it firmly enough when twisting the ridges can bite a bit on the skin. After lots of adjustments it can start to irritate but the mechanism is gradually loosenng up so it is a bit kinder than when I first got it.

The Velbon only costs 100 so the feel of the twist locks may be different with more expensive tripods.

This does not seem much of an issue but it is one of those things where the slightest difference in operation will frustrate some but be of no consequence to others and I put up with it on the Velbon because it it packs smaller than the Manfrotto and is lighter so I am happier to take this with me if I do not have a specific purpose in mind when I set off.
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
28 Feb 2012 11:07AM
Fliplocks all the way, Only one hand needed when making slight adjustments, Twisties are Ok until they sieze up or go stiff.......Grin
User_Removed 12 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2012 12:07PM

Quote:Fliplocks all the way, Only one hand needed when making slight adjustments, Twisties are Ok until they sieze up or go stiff.......

From a temporarily one handed snapper, I couldn't agree more.
IanBurton e2
5 78 7 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2012 12:26PM
I have a manfrotto 190XPB (lever lock) and have recently purchased a CT-3342-Rapid tripod (twist lock). The lever locks on my manfrotto are ceasing even though I have loosened and cleaned them regularly so I decided to give the Feisol a go after reading some good reviews, and although they are a small and relatively unknown brand (I happened to stumbled across the uk based distributor) they are probably as close to Gitzo designs as you can get without buying one. I haven't had time to use it much so I'm yet to test it at coastal locations, but I find it easy to operate, less than a 1/4 turn to loosen and make fine adjustments to legs using one hand, 1/2 turn they come down to full extension smoothly. Easier to clean the joints than lever lock legs, no tools required. The twist locks have a rubber outer and can operate in cold weather without removing gloves. No negatives at present.
lemmy e2
7 2.1k United Kingdom
28 Feb 2012 5:04PM
Fliplocks, no question.
sparrowhawk e2
6 268 2 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2012 5:37PM
definitely fliplock
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2012 11:51PM
Here's a fly in the ointment: manfrotto neotec. You'll never want to us anything else. I can completely set up or collapse my tripod in under five seconds. No joke.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
29 Feb 2012 5:49AM
I wouldn't dispute the Neotec, it looks like being a blinding piece, but at nearly 400 quid a pop you really have to want one badly to part with that kinda money. Smile

Ade
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
29 Feb 2012 7:23AM
I got mine brand new from a high street vendor for 109. Just needed to supply a head. Keep your eyes open. Deals do come up Grin
meercat e2
5 278 United Kingdom
29 Feb 2012 10:07AM
Guess I go against the grain, I prefer twist locks, I have in the past had issues with stiff flip locks or too loose flip locks where they will slide down even when done up (easily fixed I knowbut not an isue you will find with a twist lock). And why would it confuse you which way to turn them? Lefty loosey righty tighty Smile
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
29 Feb 2012 10:48AM
Both my Manfrotto ans Slik tripods have fliplocks.

They are much easier to use. But also much more prone to breaking and expensive to repair. When those on my Slik 88 gave up the ghost (oddly enough several within a short time) I found it much cheaper to buy a new secondhand Slik 88 on eBay than to have the old one repaired.

The Manfrotto ones are even more fragile-looking than Slik, so I do treat them very carefully.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.