Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Floating toolbar for copy and paste?

loweskid 13 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
28 Oct 2008 6:22PM
Anyone know of a simple floating toolbar that I can place anywhere on the screen? Mainly for Firefox but if it could be used in any other Windows program then so much the better. Specifically, I just want to be able to place copy and paste buttons next to any field, mainly for repetitive keywording tasks.

I've had a good google, lots of stuff with all sorts of elaborate options but I can't find anything simple.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
28 Oct 2008 6:30PM
I find good old control+c (copy) and control+v (paste) works as well as anything.
28 Oct 2008 6:57PM
Yes, I use those but it means taking my hand off the mouse and over to the keyboard. I know that sounds pathetic but it gets a bit tedious when you're doing it a couple of hundred times when moving keywords on alamy's website.

Alamy have three keyword fields, 'comprehensive', 'main', and 'essential'. The standard ICTP keywords are imported into their 'comprehensive' field so then have to be moved to the others. What I would like is to have copy and paste buttons which I can place right next to the 'comprehensive' field, highlight the words I want to move, hit the 'copy' button, move the mouse cursor to the other field and hit the 'paste' button. All could be done with just a minimal flick of the mouse, which actually equates to a big saving in tedium when you're doing it several hundred times!
conrad 10 10.9k 116
28 Oct 2008 7:03PM

Quote:it means taking my hand off the mouse and over to the keyboard. I know that sounds pathetic but it gets a bit tedious when you're doing it a couple of hundred times

Yes, but just think how much less risk of getting RSI you run!
mad-dogs 12 2.2k England
28 Oct 2008 7:34PM
Put the keywords in a text file, select the appropriate words and drag across into the 'field' boxes.

Can all be done with a mug of coffee in one hand and a single button Mac mouse.

I got tired of putting all the data in the ITPC via 'file info', only to find most of it stripped out when I came to finish off the process on Alamy.
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
28 Oct 2008 7:42PM

Quote:but it means taking my hand off the mouse and over to the keyboard.

I use them instinctively.
It's probably because I started out with DOS long before this new fangled Windoze stuff...

Wink
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
28 Oct 2008 7:56PM

Quote:[Specifically, I just want to be able to place copy and paste buttons next to any field, mainly for repetitive keywording tasks.

can't you just use the right mouse button menu?
28 Oct 2008 8:12PM

Quote:Put the keywords in a text file, select the appropriate words and drag across into the 'field' boxes.

Again, doesn't quite do what I want. The keywords are already there in the comprehensive field so there is no need to put them into a text file. Yes, I can drag them across from the 'comprehensive' field to the others but that means doing it each time on each image. Often I'm pasting the same keywords into several images so it's quicker to 'copy' and just keep hitting the paste button.

Quote:I got tired of putting all the data in the ITPC via 'file info', only to find most of it stripped out when I came to finish off the process on Alamy.

I suspect you are using Photoshop then? Adobe have their own way of doing things and don't stick to the IPTC standard. They are moving towards XMP but even there they keep moving the goalposts. For instance, I keyword into the tiff files then batch convert to jpegs. CS3 won't copy the keywords into the jpegs and I have to go back to CS2 to do the batch conversion. There was a long discussion about the problems with Adobe and IPTC a while ago on the IMatch forum but I can't find it at the moment. I use IMatch for keywording and not had any problems with importing to alamy.
28 Oct 2008 8:28PM

Quote:can't you just use the right mouse button menu

Yes but it means moving my finger from the scroll wheel to the right button. I'm left handed so have my index finger over the scroll wheel and middle finger over the left button. Therefore I have to move my index finger to use the right button - I know that sounds pathetic but try doing it a couple of hundred times!

If I can have a couple of buttons right next to the left side of the field I can hold the left button down, move across the text from right to left to highlight it, continue in the same direction and click the 'copy' button, scroll down so that the next field is aligned to the buttons, click in the field and then click the 'paste' button. All done with the minimum of mouse clicks using just two fingers, one on the left button, one on the scroll wheel, and the odd flick of the wrist.
ajbear 1
7 Nov 2014 7:09PM
Clipdiary can do this!
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
7 Nov 2014 7:57PM

Quote:Clipdiary can do this!

Why are you resurrecting a 6yo thread?
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
7 Nov 2014 8:10PM
Why not?
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
8 Nov 2014 8:00AM

Quote:Why not?

Because there's a perfectly good 9yo thread on the same subject.Tongue
Fogey 1 83 13 United Kingdom
1 Dec 2014 12:58PM
Set your mouse for the left handed user.
Bridgelayer 7 568 United Kingdom
1 Dec 2014 1:54PM

Quote:I'm left handed so have my index finger over the scroll wheel and middle finger over the left button. Therefore I have to move my index finger to use the right button

If you go into Control Panel > Mouse > Buttons > Change Primary Buttons, You can set the buttons for Left Handed mouse use. Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.