Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Floods and devastation

Gaucho e2
13 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2014 10:23PM
Paul, I raced at Henley a few times and lived in Sunbury which is why I was asking the question. I suppose not being close makes you feel a bit more sensitive to it all. Hopefully it will all calm down soon.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
12 Feb 2014 10:56PM
I`m on a hill so pretty safe, its just that most of the town including the town center are at high risk.

Duke Street was originally called Duck Street Smile

This is from the English Civil War, the battle of Duck Street Smile

http://rrm.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Henley-Civil-War.pdf
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
12 Feb 2014 11:31PM
I did notice that the area in danger of the worst flooding in Winchester is called Water Lane.....the clue was there all along.

Most telling are arial photos of the Somerset Levels with all those farms just nicely placed on small patches of high ground. I bet they're the oldest ones in the area.
peterjones e2
12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2014 11:34PM
wet-graves-thames.jpg

Marlow
peterjones e2
12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2014 11:36PM
flooded-car-park.jpg

Marlow flooded car park
peterjones e2
12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2014 11:38PM
marlow-flood-ii.jpg

Higginson Park Marlow
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
12 Feb 2014 11:41PM
The biggest problem is that we have spent decades building houses on land that was once natural flood planes or marshes, more than likely because that land was cheaper.
thewilliam 6 4.9k
12 Feb 2014 11:53PM

Quote:Most telling are arial photos of the Somerset Levels with all those farms just nicely placed on small patches of high ground. I bet they're the oldest ones in the area.

In the past, they'd only ever build on high ground because they knew that the low-lying ground would flood during the winter. Many of the Somerset place names reflected this: Isle of Avalon, Weston Zoyland (=island in the local dalect). Driving along the A361 from Taunton to Glastonbury, we go up a noticeable incline as we enter each major settlement.

Did anybody expect our government to deliberately allow the Levels to flood? But then we're Somerset peasantry rather than bankers!
779HOB
2 1.1k United Kingdom
13 Feb 2014 7:00AM
I was surprised to hear a farmer saying that it was building in Taunton that was part of the problem, more cheap housing going up pushing more and more water to the levels. He also said that dredging wasn't the solution in isolation. He's a second generation farmer so maybe his family has been on the levels 100 years. However, the massively high rainfall is of course the main reason. The name Somerset is said to come from Summer People, the levels dwellers leaving the levels in the Winter and only returning in the Summer. Could this Winter migration start once again I wonder.

Some residents are calling for the government to buy the their houses at market value so they can leave the area. I don't think that's a bad idea really, let the levels return to lakes - I'm sure new businesses would spring up and it would become a good tourist attraction. Might be good for wildlife too.
13 Feb 2014 8:41AM
I think the Flood victims are suffering enough without Togs adding to their misery by sharing Photographs.

Tony
779HOB
2 1.1k United Kingdom
13 Feb 2014 9:53AM

Quote:I think the Flood victims are suffering enough without Togs adding to their misery by sharing Photographs.

An interesting view, but without the coverage I doubt they would have received all the support from the government and other farmers all over the country. However, I do agree that the tourist photographers do nothing other than get in the way of everyone.
peterjones e2
12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
13 Feb 2014 10:11AM

Quote:I think the Flood victims are suffering enough without Togs adding to their misery by sharing Photographs

I wonder how my tourism is adding to to flood victims's misery? I have only taken pictures of public places; I doubt that victims's misery could sink even lower than it is now.

I hadn't noticed many tourist photographers such as me get in the way of everyone else certainly no less than even epz photographers generally get in the way and under people's feet.

Glass and houses ......
puertouk e2
3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
13 Feb 2014 10:13AM
Everyone is busy building the "ARK"
peterjones e2
12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
13 Feb 2014 10:17AM
marlow-flood-iii.jpg

another to wind up the keyboard warriors; note image taken from a public place: Marlow Bridge
13 Feb 2014 10:20AM
field.jpg

This is the sea that is on our Rugby field. Fordingbridge is under water which is quite alarming, according to the Mirror http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-weather-killer-storm-108mph-3139897

there are three more storms on the way...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.