Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Floods and devastation

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315605 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
15 Feb 2014 - 10:54 PM

Quote: As far as I have seen to press, the properties affected in the Surrey/Berks area are all worth millions and the owners, however put out by the floods, will be able to resume life as normal in the near future

99% of those effected are you common every day working class people, were do you get these millions from.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Feb 2014 - 10:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95930 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
15 Feb 2014 - 11:14 PM

Quote:
99% of those effected are you common every day working class people, were do you get these millions from.

Rightly or wrongly from the news media

They all seem to be large detached properties with a couple of acres (albeit flooded) of gardens/orchards

thewilliam
15 Feb 2014 - 11:30 PM

Here in Somerset, nothing seemed to happen until Prince Charles paid us a visit. He immediately put a tidy sum into the kitty and now the Royal farms are giving fodder to the flooded farmers.

I came across one possible reason why the Environment Agency had decided to stop the dredging. They've classified river silt as "special waste" so that the disposal requirements are similar to those for nuclear waste. Nobody paid heed to the ancient practice, common in ancient Egypt, of spreading silt on the land and taking advantage of its fertilizing properties.

The EU came very close to banning dihydrogen monoxide because it's the principal constituent of acid rain and because it can be lethal when inhaled. The Eurocrats didn't recognize it as water!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315605 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2014 - 2:11 AM

Quote: 99% of those effected are you common every day working class people, were do you get these millions from.

Rightly or wrongly from the news media

They all seem to be large detached properties with a couple of acres (albeit flooded) of gardens/orchards

I spent most of my childhood growing up in lower Cavesham, the very streets I grew up on were under water back in 1947, hopefully it will not get this bad this time around.

Look out for the view from the top of cardiff road, those flooded fields are where the Reading Festival has been staged for many years, it was also the top end of the street I grew up on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0ZdEV_X67M

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110363 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2014 - 7:59 AM

Quote: They've classified river silt as "special waste"

That's an EU classification with associated rules on spreading, not the EA.
Bloody nonsense as it prevented the farmers doing what they have for generations.
They can pile it up on the banks but it just washes back into the river that way

thewilliam
16 Feb 2014 - 10:19 AM

The practical effect of this crazy classification is to make the disposal cost 3 figures per tonne and this made dredging somewhat uneconomic!

The French just ignore any EU rules that they find inconvenient but our goverment "gold-plates" the regulations to make them even more onerous. Here in Somerset, many orchards were destroyed because they were growing the "wrong" variety of apple. One of my wife's friends was unable to use her apples for juicing because they were the "wrong size".

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110363 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2014 - 11:48 AM

Yep, and it screws up loads of other things too.

Some years back a Brit invented a waste cardboard fired incinerator which produced electricity from all the waste packaging that is produced these days, killing two birds with one stone

The EU declared this cardboard as "waste" and made it uneconomic so he had to abandon it (at great personal financial loss)

A European firm took up the idea and ignored the rules, making a large profit!

thewilliam
16 Feb 2014 - 2:17 PM

I sometimes wonder which side our government is batting for!

brian1208
16 Feb 2014 - 2:57 PM

As with all previous governments - Themselves Sad

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3805 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2014 - 3:59 PM

The weather isn't ANY governments fault........it only seems yesterday, when the media, BBC in particular were warning us about Global Warming causing .....super dry conditions, that we would all need to adapt our lifestyle to desert like conditions......we were in danger of running out of water and that it would need dozens of new and connected reservoirs to form a National Water Grid........I seem to remember too, that the droughts of past years were a governments fault.

I do feel extremely sorry for anyone who has been affected in any negative way by the recent abnormal weather patterns.

Did the last government, dredge the rivers in the Somerset Levels?

Just curious.

Hobbo

thewilliam
16 Feb 2014 - 5:37 PM

The rivers through the Somerset haven't been dredged for a couple of decades and this seems to have been Environment Agency policy.

Paul Morgan
16 Feb 2014 - 6:27 PM

Quote: The rivers through the Somerset haven't been dredged for a couple of decades and this seems to have been Environment Agency policy.

Dredging would have changed little, the flooding is caused by ground water.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012609 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2014 - 6:46 PM

Ground water that cant escape back to rivers and ditches because of years of neglect, dredging was stopped in 2000 by the Labour government and farmers have been unable to carry on with clearing ditches etc due to the appalling regulations imposed upon them, they clear a ditch and have to transport the stuff removed as 'toxic waste', theres a bit about it here http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-week/leading-article/9131442/floods-of-incompeten...

Paul Morgan
16 Feb 2014 - 6:50 PM

There is only so much water the ground can hold, the village up the road from me is two miles from the nearest river yet they have been under water since Christmas day.

These arn`t flash floods.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 16 Feb 2014 - 6:55 PM
answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012609 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2014 - 7:01 PM

some reports from farmers in the area say that the rivers are 42% silted up, take that away and you have a greater capacity to drain some of the water. Yes its been excessive but maintaining waterways is essential.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.