Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

floppy discs

KONIN e2
3 252 England
23 Nov 2011 5:22PM
hi my next door neigbhour is giving away to a good home any body who wants 16 x 250mb floppy disks are they still used today and if they are do you want them.he dosent like throwing any thing away,bit of a tree hugger!!!!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
23 Nov 2011 5:30PM
Haven't heard of 250Mb floppies. Most were of much lower capacity.

But very few modern PCs now have floppy drives fitted, so there may be limited usability. Floppies have been pretty well replaced by optical media such as CDs and DVDs.
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
23 Nov 2011 5:50PM
I tink the type you are reffering to are the 5 inch discs, Rare things in the last 10 years, Even rarer than the smaller floppies......Grin

There are some other types from way back that used a thing called a tape drive......Smile

In all honesty the cost of posting them anywhere is gonna be ten times what they might be worth, Assuming you still have a drive that can run them.....Sad

That said the common 2.5 floppy is still around and used for dark and devious " DOS " activities, There are even some USB models specially for the purpose.....Wink

However we do need to clarify the exact size and type, Maybe even make etc, Then all will be revealed and someone may have a use for them

Wink
dwilkin 8 24.3k United Kingdom
23 Nov 2011 6:14PM
I'm guessing a 250mb disk would be for one of the 'super-floppy' drives that came out shortly before CD writers became cheap enough for the mass market. If I recall correctly, the only on that was 250mb was the Iomega Jaz drive - it had a (then) standard IDE connection, and a 5.25" drive size (same as a CD/DVD drive), but could also read standard 3.5" floppy disks. I very much doubt that many modern PCs even have the required interface for the drive, and locating any more disks for it would be a near impossibility...
thatmanbrian 3 342 3 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2011 6:34PM
I think its earlier than the Jaz and is a zip drive from iomega? Not a floppy at all as its in a case I suspect.
23 Nov 2011 6:43PM
Sorry - the 250mb was the 2nd generation Zip drive - the Jaz drive was a different technology, and up to 1Gb. The Zip disks were in a case, but the drive could read ordinary floppies.
KONIN e2
3 252 England
23 Nov 2011 7:01PM
thanks guys i will try to convince him to bin them,stu
23 Nov 2011 7:05PM
They date from the mid-to-late 90's, so I very much doubt that they are still viable, even if you could a) find the drive to read them, and b) find a PC to connect it to!
Kako 8 143
23 Nov 2011 9:30PM
Yeah, standard 3.5" 'floppies' (they didn't bend) were 720k capacity I seem to remember. The HD (high density) were a massive 1.44Mb formatted. And we thought they were the 'last word' at the time... having said that, DOS was very space efficient at the time, pre Windows. Come to think of it i've still got a few dozen unused ones in the loft somewhere!
miptog 9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2011 9:37PM
Kako 8 143
24 Nov 2011 4:58PM
That is a surprise, I might try and dig them out...Thx

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.