Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

floppy discs

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    KONIN
    KONIN e2 Member 3252 forum postsKONIN vcard England
    23 Nov 2011 - 5:22 PM

hi my next door neigbhour is giving away to a good home any body who wants 16 x 250mb floppy disks are they still used today and if they are do you want them.he dosent like throwing any thing away,bit of a tree hugger!!!!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 Nov 2011 - 5:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    23 Nov 2011 - 5:30 PM

Haven't heard of 250Mb floppies. Most were of much lower capacity.

But very few modern PCs now have floppy drives fitted, so there may be limited usability. Floppies have been pretty well replaced by optical media such as CDs and DVDs.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Nov 2011 - 5:50 PM

I tink the type you are reffering to are the 5 inch discs, Rare things in the last 10 years, Even rarer than the smaller floppies......Grin

There are some other types from way back that used a thing called a tape drive......Smile

In all honesty the cost of posting them anywhere is gonna be ten times what they might be worth, Assuming you still have a drive that can run them.....Sad

That said the common 2.5 floppy is still around and used for dark and devious " DOS " activities, There are even some USB models specially for the purpose.....Wink

However we do need to clarify the exact size and type, Maybe even make etc, Then all will be revealed and someone may have a use for them

Wink

dwilkin
    dwilkin e2 Member 724249 forum postsdwilkin vcard United Kingdom
    23 Nov 2011 - 6:14 PM

I'm guessing a 250mb disk would be for one of the 'super-floppy' drives that came out shortly before CD writers became cheap enough for the mass market. If I recall correctly, the only on that was 250mb was the Iomega Jaz drive - it had a (then) standard IDE connection, and a 5.25" drive size (same as a CD/DVD drive), but could also read standard 3.5" floppy disks. I very much doubt that many modern PCs even have the required interface for the drive, and locating any more disks for it would be a near impossibility...

thatmanbrian
    23 Nov 2011 - 6:34 PM

I think its earlier than the Jaz and is a zip drive from iomega? Not a floppy at all as its in a case I suspect.

dwilkin
    23 Nov 2011 - 6:43 PM

Sorry - the 250mb was the 2nd generation Zip drive - the Jaz drive was a different technology, and up to 1Gb. The Zip disks were in a case, but the drive could read ordinary floppies.

KONIN
    KONIN e2 Member 3252 forum postsKONIN vcard England
    23 Nov 2011 - 7:01 PM

thanks guys i will try to convince him to bin them,stu

dwilkin
    23 Nov 2011 - 7:05 PM

They date from the mid-to-late 90's, so I very much doubt that they are still viable, even if you could a) find the drive to read them, and b) find a PC to connect it to!

Kako
    Kako  8136 forum posts
    23 Nov 2011 - 9:30 PM

Yeah, standard 3.5" 'floppies' (they didn't bend) were 720k capacity I seem to remember. The HD (high density) were a massive 1.44Mb formatted. And we thought they were the 'last word' at the time... having said that, DOS was very space efficient at the time, pre Windows. Come to think of it i've still got a few dozen unused ones in the loft somewhere!

miptog
    miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Nov 2011 - 9:37 PM

40 ways to still use Floppy Discs

The Floppy Disc

Kako
    Kako  8136 forum posts
    24 Nov 2011 - 4:58 PM

That is a surprise, I might try and dig them out...Thx

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.