Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

FLV Downloader

miptog 9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2012 10:01PM
Can anyone recommend a utility or program that will download FLV files from sites like YOUTUBE and the like. Several of those online seem to be unreliable or contain adware or potentailly contain viruses.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

EddieAC 9 685 2 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2012 11:14PM
I use Realplayer which will download from youtube and most sites. Some sites will not allow this though and the downloader will let you know if it is not possible.

I don't remember the download being dodgy but it is always worth selecting "save" as opposed to "open" at the download stage and virus checking the file before running it.

It may want to install its own toolbar at the installation stage though and would untick the box if this is the case.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
16 Nov 2012 11:30PM
Have you tried this ?
redsnappa 12 1.9k United Kingdom
17 Nov 2012 8:49AM
Wow Is Realplayer still around

Just remember YouTube videos and not public domain, open source or free to download unless you have the permission from those who created the video or those who retain the copyright for that piece of work.
Jestertheclown 6 6.4k 241 England
17 Nov 2012 12:10PM

Quote:Just remember YouTube videos and not public domain, open source or free to download unless you have the permission from those who created the video or those who retain the copyright for that piece of work.

Without wishing to turn this thread into another copyright hair splitting debate, videos on YouTube are so obviously there for the taking that they're practically asking to be downloaded.
I'd imagine that most people uploading stuff there will be prepared to accept that it's gone forever and fair game for anyone that wants to copy it.
redsnappa 12 1.9k United Kingdom
17 Nov 2012 2:05PM

Quote: videos on YouTube are so obviously there for the taking that they're practically asking to be downloaded.
I'd imagine that most people uploading stuff there will be prepared to accept that it's gone forever and fair game for anyone that wants to copy it.

I take it that policy also applies to the pictures on your website?
Jestertheclown 6 6.4k 241 England
17 Nov 2012 2:47PM
It applies to images that I upload anywhere. Here included.
As has been said plenty of times before, anything that you post on the web is considered by very many to be fair game and if someone wants to take/copy/nick it, they're going to.
If you don't want people to touch it, don't upload it in the first place.
EddieAC 9 685 2 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2012 8:02PM
I would say that it is harmless to download a video from youtube if the intention is only to view whenever. Just as it may be harmless to download a photo from website if the intention is only to view or set as a desktop background for a while. It becomes harmful if someone wants to pass of somebody else's work as their own.

Incidentally, the 2011 movie "Senna" actually contained a small amount of footage downloaded from youtube as the person(s) who uploaded it actually didn't own the rights as it was recorded from TV. The filmmakers would have had permission to use it from FOCA.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.