Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Fly By

StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
20 Oct 2013 7:19PM
Every day is a good day for a Fly By.

Pay particular attention to the last shown low pass. It is number one. Watch
the halo of water around the plane. It happened during a Blue Angels event
over San Francisco several years ago. It was the pilot's last show with the
team and he had nothing to lose.

Many of the boats in the bay lost windows to the sonic blast. It's a kick to watch.

Number 3 was pretty impressive too. Click the link below:

Fly By

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
20 Oct 2013 7:46PM
Pretty neat Denny.
The best one that I ever saw was at Duxford.
It was an ordinary weekday and I'd gone there to visit the museum. There was to be no flying that I was aware of. It certainly wasn't a show.
At the end of the afternoon, as I was leaving, I and another guy stopped to watch a P51 Mustang that was warming up, out on the grass. After a few minutes, the pilot climbed aboard and the aircraft taxied around and took off.
We thought that that was that but as we turned to leave, we heard him returning.
He came in so low that he had to pull up to clear the hangars, then he put it back down and roared across the airfield, at tremendous speed and only feet from the ground, finally climbing and banking away from us.
It was the kind of stunt that you'd never see at an organised show and I don't suppose I'll ever see it done again.
It quite made my day!

Bren.
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
20 Oct 2013 7:52PM
Wow, magnificent! No.6, 3 and 1 for me. But I'd love to have been there for every one of them.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
20 Oct 2013 8:32PM
Well Bren, I would have liked to have seen that. Back in 1969 I was a bush pilot based in Goose Bay, Labrador. Each summer we had a little air show put on for the public by the various militaries based there for training in the rugged terrain, which is similar to many areas of Russia. The RAF had Vulcans based there, and the most impressive display I've ever seen, was a Vulcan coming in on the approach to R27, which is over a wide body of water; it was on the deck, and frightening for such a huge airplane. It flew down the runway in front of the ramp where we were standing, with all four engines roaring, the ground was trembling. when he got opposite us, he closed the throttles to full idle, and pulled it straight up, huge wingtip vortices spiraling off the wings, and a loud whooshing sound, banked left and brought it around for downwind, dropped the gear and flaps, turned close in, and landed it on runway 27 without using any more power, I'll never forget it.
Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
21 Oct 2013 7:27PM
I've staged through Goose a good few times in the last 30 years. Only seemed to be when it was snowing though!

Grin

Nick
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
21 Oct 2013 8:17PM
That's the case about 8 months of the year Nick.Tongue
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
22 Oct 2013 12:32AM
I thought this was pretty sad Sad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u4YBwjQTds

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.