Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Focus, How do I?

Gary66 2 158 England
7 Oct 2012 7:11PM
If you get the time, can you visit my page and view my photo Hide and seek. What settings if any are there on my camera that would of brought the greenery (fore) into more focus?
I am a complete novice who just wants to enjoy taking photos and learn as I go along, please could you put comments in laymens terms as i am totally inexperienced. Thanks for your time. Gary.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
7 Oct 2012 7:21PM
Hi Gary,
Sounds as if you could do with a visit to the 'critique gallery,' the whole purpose of which is to answer questions, just like this one and to offer advice and feedback.
You'll be very welcome.

Bren.
rogerfry e2
9 525 United Kingdom
7 Oct 2012 7:32PM
Quick answer is to use a smaller aperture ........but why would you want the greenery in focus?..-it would detract from the shot, rather than add to it.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
7 Oct 2012 8:33PM
To answer your question seriously, you should have focussed at the hyperfocal distance, which is probably about the nearest edge of the boat. That, maybe with a smaller aperture, would have got more of the shot into focus. But, like RogerFry, I agree that having the foreground foliage in focus would detract from the shot.
MikeA 10 1.2k England
7 Oct 2012 10:02PM
You may find this link / site a useful supplement to EPZ.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/dof-calculator.htm

Best leave the leaves out of focus or if you really want them in focus get rid of boat and ducks ;=))
Gary66 2 158 England
7 Oct 2012 10:25PM
Thank you all for your advice, I will put this into practice, maybe I will see for myself that sharper focusing would detract from my photo. Gary.
andart 12 491 United Kingdom
8 Oct 2012 10:53AM
You might find this useful Gary: camera simulator
Gary66 2 158 England
8 Oct 2012 1:59PM
andart, that's a clever tool to have. Thanks
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
8 Oct 2012 3:12PM

Quote:You might find this useful Gary: camera simulator

What a fun little program!
8 Oct 2012 6:56PM
Smaller aperture certainly but that would also mean a slower shutter speed to maintain exposure, which might mean blurred ducks if they were moving a lot! If you've had a play with andart's simulator you can see the effect of varying the various parameters.

As has also been said, the ducks/boat are the subject of the picture, you don't always want every thing in focus, makes things stand out better with a "mask" of soft focus.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.