Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Focus help needed

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    quinny
    quinny  10167 forum posts United Kingdom
    5 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

Hi everyone, I've got a problem that's driving me mad. I am taking a photo where I want to focus on someones eyes and then hold that focus on the eyes but re-compose the shot for better composition. How do I do that? Because all that is happening is that once I have half pressed the shutter to focus on the eyes, I keep the shutter half pressed and then recompose and then press it all the way and when I look at the image on the lcd the focus is no longer on the eyes where I focussed. I'm looking the will to live.

I've looked at the Canon 5d mk ii manual and it might s well be in a different language. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Sarah

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MrGoatsmilk
    5 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

Have you checked to make sure the focus is set to One shot and Not AI servo the latter will change to following a moving subject or the camera being moved will cause it to follow the focus point and not where you set it with a half press

Last Modified By MrGoatsmilk at 5 May 2012 - 10:36 AM
    Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    5 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

There are two main autofocus modes usually marked AFC (continually focuses) and AFS (locks focus)
    If you have press when using the AFC mode it will continue to focus and is used for sports and action where you want the focus to track the moving subject. For your example the AFS mode will work as you'd hoped.

quinny
    5 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

It is definitely sent to one shot. Where do I find the AFS mode?

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    5 May 2012 - 10:41 AM

Sorry One Shot is the same. AFC and AFS are the designations used on most other cameras. Is it that you're letting go once you've taken the first shot. If so the focus will re adjust. The best thing in such instances is to switch to manual.

Last Modified By Pete at 5 May 2012 - 10:43 AM
    MrGoatsmilk
    5 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

When you say it's set to one shot are you certain that's focus and not shutter mode your mixing up?

LesJD
    LesJD  2145 forum posts Wales
    5 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

Problem is once you've moved the camera the focus distance has changed slightly and if you've selected a wide aperture you've insufficient DOF. Best thing to do is to compose your shot and manually select a focus point that covers the eye.
    Also has already been pointed out make sure you are not using al focus or al servo.

quinny
    5 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

On the top of the screen that has all your settings it says ONE SHOT.

MrGoatsmilk
    5 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

Although I use a 40D my settings tend to be

Centre single focus point

One shot focus

One shot drive mode

I do change the latter when trying to get expressions on faces that are quickly changing, such as children

MrGoatsmilk
    5 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

Can you upload a shot with the exif data, as said above you may have too shallow DOF perhaps or the wrong focus point is focusing elsewhere

robthecamman
    5 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

as i understand it use centre focus point half press shutter button then recompose

quinny
    5 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

Sorry guys thanks for trying I just don't understand it at the minute an I've gotta go out. What I need is to find someone who has a canon 5d mk ii who can go through with me the custom functions settings that are on my camera and say what it should be set on. It might be something so simple that I've set it on that is causing the problem. Think I need to find someone who lives near me who can meet me and who can look at my camera for me.

Thanks anyway. God I feel such a newbie.

MrGoatsmilk
    5 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

Or just reset the camera to factory settings and start a fresh.

Good luck, I did think about meeting but I'm in south staffs, so a bit far. I'm sure there will be someone local to you.

robthecamman
    5 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

go to utube canon 5d video show how to set up and use camera easiest

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.