Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Focusing speed on sunny day

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2011 - 10:52 AM

Just after some opinions/suggestions:
I have always thought focusing is depends on the light and contrast. The more contrasty the subject is, the easier it is for the camera to lock focus on.
Last Saturday, we went to Skomer for puffin and it was really sunny (same as last year). However, the cameras really struggled to lock focus on the puffins in flight (even when the puffins were hovering for landing, and the puffins were in the frame and centre focus point was right on them) (focusing speed seems to be better when it was cloudy though!).
We have combination of:
5D2 + 70-200 F2.8,
50D + 70-200 F2.8
D3 + Nikon 70-200 F2.8 + Nikon 200-400
7D + 70-200 F2.8 + 400 F5.6

Could someone please explain why that is?

On another note, when I tried to put on the Paulís 400 F5.6 on my 5D2 on al servo, half pressed to lock focus and while keep half pressing, I changed my view to another part trying to see how fast the camera change the focus and lock on the new subject. The camera didnít seem to track and change the focus at all! Very odd.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Jun 2011 - 10:52 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
13 Jun 2011 - 7:16 PM

By chance I was photographing puffins on Farne last Thursday in a mixture of bright sun and light cloud. Using both a Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 and a Sigma 150-500

No problem with focussing on flying birds with either lens in any light conditions.

I was using aperture priority set to f/5.6 or f/6.3 with the Nikkor or f/7.1 on the Sigma and varied the ISO between 200 and 800 to maintain shutter speeds in the 1/1000 - 1/2000 range.

What is ABSOLUTELY crucial in this type of photography, of course, is to ensure that the VR/IS/OS is firmly turned off. If you leave it on inadvertently, it will make it very difficult for the AF system to lock-on to a fast flying bird quickly enough. But, at the shutter speeds required to freeze a flying bird (apart from the wingtips) there would be no advantage from VR anyway.

This one was 1/2000, f/6.3, ISO400 at 200mm:

puffin2.jpg

Last Modified By User_Removed at 13 Jun 2011 - 7:21 PM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2011 - 7:18 PM

IS was definitely off.

User_Removed
13 Jun 2011 - 7:23 PM

In that case, I can't think of any explanation for the phenomenon you are observing. AF should work well enough in any bright conditions. It is really only when it is poor light that it might struggle (or when using a slow lens - which you weren't doing).

Strange. Especially as you found the problem with a variety of cameras and lenses.

User_Removed
13 Jun 2011 - 7:26 PM

Still trying to think of possible explanations.

You weren't, by any chance, using a polarising filter?

Coleslaw
13 Jun 2011 - 7:30 PM

No filters.
Those combination of cameras and lenses were used by other togs went together.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315379 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2011 - 9:04 PM

Quote: I have always thought focusing is depends on the light and contrast

I always believed it was down to the person holding the camera, can`t really blame a camera or lens if you can`t focus.

Smile Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 13 Jun 2011 - 9:04 PM
Coleslaw
13 Jun 2011 - 9:09 PM

I knew someone would do sarcastic comment, but didn't know it will be you, Mr Morgan...Tongue
BTW, I can focus, but the camera can't...LOL
Well, there are 4 of us, including Phil Morgan, Geoffrey Baker and Paul Rosser. I don't think all of us are THAT slow.

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 13 Jun 2011 - 9:09 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315379 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2011 - 9:13 PM

It was only tongue-in-cheek Smile

Could the have been lots of bright shiny scenery fooling the focus, probably something natural if it effected all camera`s.

Coleslaw
13 Jun 2011 - 9:16 PM

I know....Wink
I was thinking about the same line, maybe the scenery itself is too contrasty/bright and 'attracting' the focusing more. I don't know.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95916 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2011 - 9:18 PM

Not sure Cole, but when I first had my 1d Mk III, I knew something wasn't right.
I was very disappointed the first time I tried it at Vinces (B-O-C).

It turned out that by default, the focus settings in Servo were set to "first shot on the subject & then lock onto the next moving object"

I am not saying that my in-flight shots are that good anyway, but it certainly improved themGrin

Might help

Adrian

Coleslaw
13 Jun 2011 - 9:26 PM

No such option on my 5D2, I don't think, can't say for 50D, 7D and D3 though.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2011 - 9:50 PM

Quote: On another note, when I tried to put on the Paulís 400 F5.6 on my 5D2 on al servo, half pressed to lock focus and while keep half pressing, I changed my view to another part trying to see how fast the camera change the focus and lock on the new subject. The camera didnít seem to track and change the focus at all! Very odd.

I can try and answer on that. In some Canon cameras there is an option to turn off the AF sweep. On long lenses if you are a long way out of focus the camera cannot work out where to focus so goes for a focus sweep to try and see if it spots anything. You can turn that option off in the custom functions. If you are tracking turning it off is a good thing, but you may need to nudge the focus close by hand to start with.

I ran into that problem with a 7D, I guess the 5D also has it.

As for AF problems in bright light, not had that problem.

Last Modified By strawman at 13 Jun 2011 - 9:52 PM
MeanGreeny
13 Jun 2011 - 9:55 PM

Just one phrase.......... "Puffin Electronic Counter Measures"

*taps side of nose, nods and gives knowing stare*

Coleslaw
13 Jun 2011 - 9:58 PM

Not sure I understand that, John.
However, it only happens with the 400 5.6; When I have my 70-200 on my 5D2, it works.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.