Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Fog lights

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

john64
john64 e2 Member 9824 forum postsjohn64 vcard England
20 Dec 2006 - 11:26 AM

For all those who think it's ok to have rear fogs on when there's a bit of a mist in the air...

From the Highway code:

Quote: 201: You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 211).
Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

211: You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 201) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.
Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

Saw a near-miss this morning due to someone breaking heavily and the car behind not being able to distinguish between brake lights and fog lights. Visibility was somewhere around half a mile.

I know someone is going to tell me to calm down a bit, but this really does get my goat.

OK. Rant over, coat on.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Dec 2006 - 11:26 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
20 Dec 2006 - 11:35 AM

I agree - it's my one pet hate seeing drivers using front fog lights just to look like a rally driver!!! oh as well as those middle lane hoggers and those that indicate left on an island and go straight on and those that go all round the outside of an island!!!!! grrrrr!!! look youve started me off now.

Geoffphoto
20 Dec 2006 - 11:36 AM

And I thought that they were there on the front of the car just to look cool !!

BTW how is the goat ??

BigCol
BigCol e2 Member 131835 forum postsBigCol vcard Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2006 - 11:39 AM

Quote: indicate left on an island and go straight on and those that go all round the outside of an island!!!!!

You mean like the Isle of Wight or Isle of Man?

;o)

NikLG
NikLG  81736 forum posts England
20 Dec 2006 - 11:40 AM

Putting your front fog lights on makes your car go faster.

Nik

Geoffphoto
20 Dec 2006 - 11:44 AM

Quote: Putting your front fog lights on makes your car go faster.

Well everybody under the age of 25 knows THAT !!

strawman
strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2006 - 11:45 AM

Even better turning my hazzard warning lights on allows me to park where I want.

And my right turn indicator has a magic effect on BMW's in Dual carriage ways. Every time I turn it on they leap out in front of me.

BigCol
BigCol e2 Member 131835 forum postsBigCol vcard Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2006 - 11:51 AM

And just to add to the list of personal hates.....

People who sit in the left hand lane, which has a big arrow that tells you that you have to turn left ahead, and the big sign which says that the left hand lane is for traffic turning left and then decide, but when they get to the junction they actually want to go straight on! And then it's you're fault that you almost hit them! (ditto for right hand lane, except the other way round obviously)

It was foggy in MK this morning so we'll see how many people drive home tonight having forgotten to turn off their fog lights when they got out of the car this morning.

deviant
deviant  103024 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2006 - 1:51 PM

I think people who nearly hit people due to fog lights being on are at fault for driving too fast and too close. They are driving in a manner inappropriate to the conditions.

kevan
kevan  12447 forum posts
20 Dec 2006 - 1:57 PM

Most people using fog lights don't even think about why they're putting them on. They think: "it's foggy, use fog lights".

They should only be used when visibility is so bad that without them you wouldn't be seen at a safe distance with just your normal lights.

If you can see normal lights several hundred metres up the road or you've got someone behind you, switch the damned things off.

Kevan

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315547 forum posts England
20 Dec 2006 - 3:36 PM

Well, visibility was about 30 yards this morning and I'd say 80% of BMWs on the road didn't even have their headlights on. I think BMW must put the switch in the wrong way round.

NikLG
NikLG  81736 forum posts England
20 Dec 2006 - 3:44 PM

I think that lightbulbs in BMWs are an optional extra. None seem to come with indicator bulbs as standard....

Nik

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2006 - 3:48 PM

Tweedle-Dum uses his lights an hour before lighting up time and his fog lights every time the visibility drops to less than infinity. His brother, Tweedle-Dee, can often (only just) be seen on the motorway, in the pouring rain or thick fog, with no lights on whatsoever!

nikon_stu
nikon_stu  828 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Dec 2006 - 4:34 PM

I have to add to this! None of that compares to the people who sit in the middle lane of the motorway when the slow lane is clear because either its not cool or they may have to pull out and overtake something a mile down the road!

Thats my real hate!

Stu ;o)

Geoffphoto
20 Dec 2006 - 4:37 PM

I thought that the slow lane was only for lorries and Honda drivers !! Smile))))
(You know, the ones that wear caps !)

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.