Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

folk music what do you think

29 Apr 2012 8:01PM
i seem to be buying a lot of folk music nowadays used to think it was the uncommercial relation of country music stiil getting that wee bit olderGrin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
29 Apr 2012 8:34PM
Any favourites ?
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
29 Apr 2012 8:35PM
Ray Montagne
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
29 Apr 2012 8:43PM
I went off buying loads of folk last year. Favourites are:
Bella Hardy
Cara Dillon
Julie Fowlis
29 Apr 2012 8:47PM
eric bogle
john mccutheon
Andy80F e2
11 311 United Kingdom
29 Apr 2012 9:00PM
Nick Drake
Bellowhead (saw then at last years larker Tree festival)
Show of hands (Larmer Tree)

Local Folk Club runs an open -mic session on Sunday Evenings and can't recall having to listen to any really duff stuff and on occasion did hear some great sets. Photography not allowed only because the organiser hated the intrusion of flash at the gigs but using a fast's lens and monopod he would let me snap away. Nice mix of pastimes.
29 Apr 2012 9:04PM
Ray Lamontagne is fantastic but try Fleet Foxes & Midlake too. There's a couple of newish bands on the go you might like too they are First Aid Kit and the second is The Civil Wars. Both on youtube for you to sample. Oh Yeh, Iron & Wine are great too.

Stu.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
29 Apr 2012 9:07PM
Johnny Dickinson.

Awesome

I have loved and followed Folk Music all my life - seen many great acts (and supported a few 'names' too) but this man is - as far I am concerned - modern and 'Old School' at the same time.
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
29 Apr 2012 9:38PM
Bellowhead are great. My current favourites are Oysterband, Seth Lakeman, Kate Rusby and Fairport
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
29 Apr 2012 9:40PM
and Martin Simpson

and Show of Hands
Camairish e2
9 1.3k Scotland
29 Apr 2012 10:13PM
Bill Callahan - more Americana than folk I suspect.
29 Apr 2012 11:11PM
It unfortunately sits alongside freeform Jazz and such singers as Cleo Laine as some of my most disliked music - and I will listen to almost anything, seriously ... michael bolton, the alarm, thomas dolby, the inkspots etc etc . I guess I must have been turned off it by some bad stuff many years ago and never bothered looking back.
29 Apr 2012 11:46PM

Quote:Johnny Dickinson.

Awesome

I have loved and followed Folk Music all my life - seen many great acts (and supported a few 'names' too) but this man is - as far I am concerned - modern and 'Old School' at the same time.

Good call Mike, not heard of him, but just watching some youtube vids. What a fantastic guitar player. Will be looking out for more of him. Thanks for the tip Smile
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
30 Apr 2012 11:16AM
Enjoy Bruffy... Wink
Andy80F e2
11 311 United Kingdom
30 Apr 2012 11:39AM
Found Seth Lakeman a real disappointment in concert, little in the the way of audience communication or warmth. I've always liked the way musicians seem to find contentment even joy when playing and Seth had none and it's unfortunately coloured my listening to his stuff since.

Would love to see Kate Rusby live, there was a documentary about her on one of the digital channels a while ago and she just seems such a nice person.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.