Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

folk music what do you think

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

User_Removed
30 Apr 2012 - 12:07 PM

Saw Eddi Reader and Boo Hewerdine ( great guitarist and singer/songwriter ) couple of nights ago.
She is a fantastic live performer, the stuff on you tube does not do justice to the tone and power of her voice, she also has a great sense of humour with loads of patter.! Check out her new song Vagabond on you tube.

John Wright Band is another of my fav's sadly he is no longer with us.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Apr 2012 - 12:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315588 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Apr 2012 - 1:43 PM

Kate Rusby is brilliant live Smile

I saw Seth Lakeman last year - took my daughter and we both loved it. Fairport are great live, and Bellowhead are awesome!
Saw Spiers and Boden on their own a few times as well and they are very good.

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
30 Apr 2012 - 1:52 PM

As I've got older I find I've grown to like folk music (well some of it anyway). However, sometimes it's difficult to distinguish 'folk music' from ballads. At the moment I've discovered (or in some cases, re-discovered) amongst others, Kate Rusby, Fairport Convention, Sandy Denny (Where Does the Time Go - how relevant !), Tom Paxton ('Last Thing on my Mind' - brilliant), Cara Dillon ('She Moved Through the Fair' ) and some Judy Collins songs.

Will have a listen to the other suggestions above.

youmightlikethis
youmightlikethis e2 Member 121015 forum postsyoumightlikethis vcard Scotland
30 Apr 2012 - 7:00 PM

just heard ragged kingdom-june tabour and the oyster band very good well worth a listen

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315588 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Apr 2012 - 7:10 PM

Quote: Just heard ragged kingdom-june tabour and the oyster band very good well worth a listen

It is very good. Oysterband won two awards at the BBC Folk Awards this year after 20-something years without a mention.

CarolAnnPhotos
30 Apr 2012 - 8:26 PM

Quote: Just heard ragged kingdom-june tabour and the oyster band very good well worth a listen

It is very good. Oysterband won two awards at the BBC Folk Awards this year after 20-something years without a mention.

Saw them earlier in the year/late last year (the date escapes me) - fantastic night. Last year there were some excellent bands on at the Assembly in Leamington, but so far this year nothing's rocking my boat.

Apart from June Tabor (of course), also like Seth Lakeman, Imagined Village, Show of Hands, Eliza Carthy and, of course, our local band - Leatherat.

Is there a gig thread on here? I'm an enthusiastic snapper of folk, rock, metal and blues and have been lucky enough to sell some of them.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315384 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2012 - 8:40 PM

Its going through a bit of a revival amongst the unsigned band scene with some good groups getting signed.

I tagged along with this lot a few years ago, I`d never drunk so much cider Smile Mumford and Son are well known now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2mrvui7V-0&feature=player_embedded#!

CarolAnnPhotos
30 Apr 2012 - 9:41 PM

Quote: Its going through a bit of a revival amongst the unsigned band scene with some good groups getting signed.

I tagged along with this lot a few years ago, I`d never drunk so much cider Smile Mumford and Son are well known now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2mrvui7V-0&feature=player_embedded#!

And as they say, "Peas, love and cider"!

phil1963
phil1963 e2 Member 2264 forum postsphil1963 vcard United Kingdom
30 Apr 2012 - 9:43 PM

I like Runrig,but they're classed as folk rockGrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AReZEjERo_o

Last Modified By phil1963 at 30 Apr 2012 - 9:44 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315384 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2012 - 9:47 PM

Quote: like Runrig,but they're classed as folk rock

Some people regard modern folk as Punk unplugged, or Punk for Oldies Smile

Paul Morgan
1 May 2012 - 8:01 PM

Lol I was there, humble beginings for Munford and Son in 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivywptU5yDk&feature=related

to crowds like this, Bonnaroo 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a8Ln31ZOJk&feature=related

ElmsArt
ElmsArt  782 forum posts Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
6 May 2012 - 5:32 PM

I have always loved Folk music since I was a kid and went picking potatoes with the Stewarts from Blairgowrie in the school holidays.

It is so diverse.

Still like the old traditional type folk but also stuff around today

Johnny Dickinson is great. He has something of the folk/jazz/blues feel that you get in the clubs in New Orleans. Not those on Bourbon Street that are for the tourists. But those like "The Spotted Cat" which is just off the French Quarter.

I also like Gaelic Folk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDdi6bn06bo

Strobe
Strobe  71254 forum posts United States
6 May 2012 - 6:00 PM

Stumbled across Angus and Julia Stone recently, brother and sister duo - refreshing to see some good young artists coming through the ranks

Her is a good example of their work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEZ-m61dBKY

thewilliam
6 May 2012 - 6:00 PM

Q: Why does it take 5 folk singers to change a light bulb?

A: One to screw in the new bulb while the other 4 sing about how good the old one had been.

Sums up the usefulness of folk singing, I reckon!

Last Modified By thewilliam at 6 May 2012 - 6:01 PM
Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2012 - 1:33 AM

Something doesn't have to be useful to be good - in fact better if it's not maybe Wink

been a folkie since teenage years, started with a mix of folk rock a la fairport/Five Hand Reel etc, and live trad music in Iirish Pubs in Manc. I've loved lots of music in between but still always go back to my folkie roots.

I went to Fairport's official "Farewell" concert at Cropredy in 1979, and to celebrate the freedom of my retirement (and realising the gig was stiil going, though with obviously a few member changes) went back last year and it blew my mind - consummate musicanship with nothing to prove,

Likewise I saw Planxty on a reunion tour five or six years ago - they booked one or two nights and ended up selling out two or three weeks. Again, nothing to prove, just guys at the top of their game. (Donal Lunny IMO was the single most important person on the bringing of Irish folk music to the masses by introducing previously undreamt of rhythm with a kick up the ass..)

my all time favourites...Sandy Denny (with and without Fairport) , **** Gaughan (especially when he's more of a folkie and a bit less of an activist), Ashley Hutching's voice.., the Bothy Band

My newly discovered...Kate rusby, the Unthanks (like Kate Rusby having dark mysterious dreams Wink )

I hate above anything country and Irish pap, which is the kind of thing I associate with William's comment above

Just the random ramblings of my folkie mind..lots more to investigate from this thread..

Stephen

PS altogether now..... nyaaaah, nyaaah, diddle iddle daaaa....

Last Modified By Tooth at 7 May 2012 - 1:41 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.