Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Following advice

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Bonvilston
    7 Feb 2012 - 3:40 PM

After I started a website that aimed to mirror a real life photography gallery, I got some feedback. Essentially it amounted to " the idea may have some mileage, but the implementation needs work". I tried working further on the same theme, but I got nowhere. After much frustration i decided to build the website around the idea of Photobooks instead.

I know some of you will be thinking, "why not just use a professional standard format ?", but the truth is that I love to play with designs and I like to try out new ideas. I want a site that will stand out.

I would love your comments on this approach. It is still under development, but the concept should still be there for all to see.

Peter

Go to Website

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Feb 2012 - 3:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lemmy
    lemmy  71949 forum posts United Kingdom
    7 Feb 2012 - 4:21 PM

Hi Peter

I can see this on my PC but not my iPad. I think you'd be better off to build with something other than Flash which many people have turned off and which many people have problems with. The fewer people you reject from your site the better.

The idea looks OK to me but at the moment it seems all presentation and smoke and makes you wait while it slowly loads or goes from place to place. Flash is notoriously slow, of course.

I'd say, less prettiness and presentation, if you have good content let it speak for itself. The accepted wisdom on the web is that you have 20 seconds to engage someone's attention when they first get to the site before the click away elsewhere else.

Why do you need to welcome someone to the site? Why not just show them a stunning picture with a few lines of text explaining whose site it is etc. And for example, you feel a need to show someone how to navigate your site. Why? Even my bank, with all its complexity, doesn't need to explain how to navigate the site. It should be designed so as to be obvious. Again, you explain why you have presented things as you have. It gives the impression that you are more interested in the design of the site than your own photography.

In the end, I feel you have chosen a complicated way to do something simple and it all feels a bit cumbersome. As an example, ePhotozine's own site. Masses of inf on the home page yet you can get to where you want instinctively. And when you do click on the link, the content snaps in to view immediately.

I'm no expert but I did do some work on internet presentation some years ago for Cap Gemini and I learned one main thing there - Content Is King! I've told you honestly what I think but if an opinion is not honest, I don't see the point in giving it so no offence intended.

If you take a look at my own site you will probably say I should practise what I preach. I coulnd't argue with you Wink

Bonvilston
    7 Feb 2012 - 4:38 PM

Some really practical points there. I really appreciate that. I have never been an apple fan and so things like it not showing up there wouldn't have entered my mind. As for the comment about being more to do with design rather than photography, i think you have hit the nail right on the head. I do love playing with design and doing things " because I can". I'd have to say that this is probably a hobby that interests me so much that i find it hard to stick to simple stuff. Your comments, however, make me see the costs of doing this to the photography. They are much appreciated.

peter

mikehit
    mikehit  56742 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Feb 2012 - 5:21 PM

Quote: i think you have hit the nail right on the head. I do love playing with design and doing things " because I can".

I fall into that statistic that says 'if it takes longer than 10 seconds to get to a page people will give up and find somewhere else to browse'. And part of this (for me anyway) is the number of clicks I have to make to find a page that interests me.
    All this means a flat menu structure and minimise animations, music and anything else that takes up bandwidth. And don't assume that every one has the same whizz-bang computer set up that you do.

Bonvilston
    7 Feb 2012 - 5:34 PM

Oh how I wish i had a "whizz-bang" computer setup. Iactually only have a 6 year old Pc and a slow telephone line broodband connection, - but I take your point.

lemmy
    lemmy  71949 forum posts United Kingdom
    7 Feb 2012 - 6:02 PM

I'm glad you found that helpful. I love putting web pages together myself, probably even more than I enjoy photography. I think it is having everything under your own control and the problem solving as you try to get things working exactly how you want.

I once spent days getting a CSS based dynamic menu system to work only to realise that I had no use for it on my site at all. I just got totally absorbed and couldn't see the wood for the trees.

Bonvilston
    7 Feb 2012 - 6:28 PM

Quote: I once spent days getting a CSS based dynamic menu system to work only to realise that I had no use for it on my site at all. I just got totally absorbed and couldn't see the wood for the trees.

Hey ! Know that feeling. been there so often myself

66tricky
    66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
    8 Feb 2012 - 1:27 PM

I can see nothing on FF or Opera other than a logo on a strip to the left (b/g changes on reload), Home and Blog links and a "3D" sticthed logo on the right. Zero Flash objects or anything else...am I missing something?

Bonvilston
    8 Feb 2012 - 1:31 PM

Yes tricky. After seeing these comments I have decided to move over to wordpress and play with the photobook flash version as a sub site. I am currently in the process of setting up the wordpress theme now. The photobook version mentioned in this thread is now here

Sorry about the confusion and sorry to mess people about, but at least I listen Wink

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 44055 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway26 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Feb 2012 - 4:08 PM

- Almost impossible to read caption under the Hayes Centre image...had to highlight it in order to read it.
    - On the opening automotive image, all the menu options on the rhs are virtually invisible - white and black text on a varying grey bg doesn't work.
    You need to sort such details or people won't go any further than the opening pages, which would be a great shame as this has the makings on a very good site.

Last Modified By saltireblue at 8 Feb 2012 - 4:08 PM
    Bonvilston
    8 Feb 2012 - 6:32 PM

Sorry saltireblue. The message above explains that the site I referred to is at a new location whilst I set up the wordpress one

chrissp26
    chrissp26  1039 forum posts United Kingdom
    17 Feb 2012 - 10:38 AM

Quite a few clearance issues in firefox on the homepage. Ditch the drop shadow from the logo, it sends my eyes funny and looks a little cheap.

Heres an image of what your homepage looks like in FireFox 10.1: (I haven't tested in other browsers).

3-untitled-1.jpg

Its a vast improvement over the old one though Wink

Last Modified By chrissp26 at 17 Feb 2012 - 10:39 AM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.