Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Food Photography Tips

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    davidburleson
    davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72350 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
    5 Oct 2010 - 11:48 AM

Hi Everyone,

I need to take some photos of some hot pub meals this weekend. This is the first time I have ever shot food and wanted to know what suggestions people have on getting good shots of hot meals. FYI, I don't have any lighting gear, so i have the make the best of the available light.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Oct 2010 - 11:48 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

TTT
    TTT  12559 forum posts Germany
    5 Oct 2010 - 12:18 PM

In order of importance:
    Beer
    camera
    medium zoom
    or macro (not too close because of steam)
    tripod
    table near window.....
    good looking barmaid (to hold reflector)

did I mention beer,

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1023041 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Oct 2010 - 1:27 PM

You're in luck as available light is still in fashion when it comes to food.

Main Tips.

Have more than one of each dish ready.
    Glycerine or water in a mister to re-moisten hot meats etc.
    For steam: Dampen a tampon and microwave until piping hot. Then place behind dish or under vegetables...out of sight..this will give off better steam for the camera.

Plain backgrounds..they obviously don't need to be big.
    Focus on the main plate subject and use wide apertures.

davidburleson
    davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72350 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
    5 Oct 2010 - 1:47 PM

Thanks for the advice TTT and keithh. Some creative ideas. I have a standard 18-55mm lens, will this do the trick, or should I go for something else?

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Oct 2010 - 1:58 PM

Quote: For steam: Dampen a tampon and microwave until piping hot. Then place behind dish or under vegetables...out of sight..this will give off better steam for the camera.

I will never look at steam in cookery books in the same light again! I suppose it's not something you'd put on the table at a dinner party to make the steam look attractive Wink
    Good to see you back in the forums.

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1023041 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Oct 2010 - 2:05 PM

Hi Sarah,...LOL...I just assumed David wouldn't have a steam machine.

David,

You'd be better if you could blag something like an 80mm or a Sigma 105 or similar macro lens. Surely there's one knocking around EPZ HQ somewhere.
    I once did a whole cookery book pretty much exclusively on a 24-70L but if you can borrow one of the above.

Oh and make sure that each and every element of the food is meticulously placed on the plate...and don't pour any sauces/gravy until you're ready to start shooting.

davidburleson
    5 Oct 2010 - 2:09 PM

don't think i have any tampons lying around, so I might have to photoshop the steam instead. I'll see what sort of lens I can get.

MrGoatsmilk
    5 Oct 2010 - 5:20 PM

Quote: Don't think i have any tampons lying around, so I might have to photoshop the steam instead.

Be brave and pop to the shops, you could always use the self service till.Grin

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Oct 2010 - 5:28 PM

No, tell the lady on the checkout why you want them and then take a photograph of their expression Grin

minicooper
    5 Oct 2010 - 5:39 PM

Look if I can go into Bulid A Bear and a get wedding dress for a glove photoshoot you can go in where ever and get the TamponWink

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.