Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

foreground interest in landscape

arhab 2 43 2 Indonesia
11 May 2013 3:37AM
i would like to know is an interesting foreground is a must on landscape photo?
is it wrong to put point of interest in mid or background and leaving the foreground empty.?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lonewolf1 3 19 United Kingdom
11 May 2013 6:40AM
Not wrong just not the norm, experiment it's up to you after all. Grin
It's just like the rule of thirds, our eyes/brains are made up that way and we like to put things into a kind of symmetry but whatever pleases you personally is ok.
Sometimes a seemingly empty foreground can be used to give a feeling of space or desolation to great effect, or if you want to concentrate the viewers eye on a main subject that is far off/in the mid/background, less is more so to speak..

Cheers Jules...
MrB 5 3 United Kingdom
11 May 2013 6:50AM
Some photos make use of lead in lines in the foreground to take your eye to the point of interest. This does allow a simple foreground but it does depend upon what you are trying to achieve.
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
11 May 2013 6:55AM
Some people with those super wide angle lenses might have their toes as foreground interest.Tongue

Denny
JohnParminter 7 1.2k 14 England
11 May 2013 10:02AM

Quote:i would like to know is an interesting foreground is a must on landscape photo?

No, it is not a must.

Quote:is it wrong to put point of interest in mid or background and leaving the foreground empty.?

No it is not wrong, some landscape photos don't even have a foreground and are perfectly fine without one.

However, if you intend to include a foreground in a photo then it may as well be interesting or have a function otherwise it may be superfluous to requirements.
arhab 2 43 2 Indonesia
12 May 2013 3:11AM
Thank you for answering my question. actually i am a little confuse about this interesting foreground, especially when applied it into the scene. still need more practice i think.
rhol2 e2
3 311 1 United Kingdom
12 May 2013 6:13AM
Many landscapes are helped by some foreground interest, but I feel this is sometimes overdone, so that the foreground dominates , and it is not clear whether the foreground or other elements in the scene are the intended focal point for the viewer.

It might be worth searching for "landscapes" in Google Images, which will bring up dozens of examples to consider and get some ideas from...
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
12 May 2013 8:56AM
It all depends on the lens you are using and I would generalise by saying the wider the lens the more important foreground/miground object is. The widest commonly used focal lengths are 17mm on 35mm camera (10mm on APS-C, 8mm on MFT) a distant bacground is very small in the frame and you need foreground elements to give the eye something to latch onto and stop pictures looking repetitive. But as has been said, it may be an effect you want occasionally.
pmorgan 8 217 13 England
12 May 2013 9:44AM
Having just looked through your portfolio, you obviously have a good eye, and make the most of diagonals as lead-ins. I would say carry on with what you are naturally doing "if it isn't broken, don't fix it!" Smile

Rgds
Paul
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
12 May 2013 12:05PM
have a go with the long lens - you can pick out some cool shapes - here's a curvy road in Swaledale... foreground was about 1/4 - 1/2 mile away

-mg-8651.jpg

arhab 2 43 2 Indonesia
12 May 2013 1:43PM
an interesting sample of foreground Ade, that's very clear to me...
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
12 May 2013 1:43PM
???
lonewolf1 3 19 United Kingdom
13 May 2013 8:00PM
Couple of Different uses of Foreground here:

autumn-glory-thirlmere.jpg

derwentwater-and-castle-cragg-from-levels-mine.jpg

And Space...

grasmere-18-10-2009.jpg

Grin
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
13 May 2013 8:09PM
Dead sheep are good Smile
keithh e2
10 23.2k 33 Wallis And Futuna
13 May 2013 8:38PM
Avoid sticks. A stick is just a stick, it is of no interest to anybody, much less if it happens to be the only thing for 1/2 mile on a beach.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.