Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Formby Red Squirrels

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    IanA
    IanA  103048 forum posts England12 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Dec 2007 - 4:26 PM

Looks like they need some help!

Lancashire Wildlife Trust is appealing for volunteers to help in the battle to save the Red Squirrels in Formby. Eleven Reds have died so far in an outbreak of squirrel pox, which is fatal to them and is carried by Grey Squirrels.

It is possible that the pox might wipe out the Reds if it is not contained. Volunteers can help by contacting the Save our Squirrels project and taking part in an organised search for sick Red Squirrels. If removed, they can be prevented from spreading the infection. Otherwise, the pox could spread through the whole colony.

A spokesperson from Save our Squirrels said: " We are in a desperate situation. Anyone who can spare the time to take part in a regular sweep of the National Trust site should call me straight away. If we don't win this battle, we could be saying goodbye to our Red Squirrels forever."

Members of the public are strongly advised not to handle sick squirrels without the necessary training and protective equipment.

For more details, contact
    Save our Squirrels Red Alert at the Wildlife Trust office : 0151 9203769

For further information on Red Squirrel Conservation please look at the website: www.saveoursquirrels.org.uk

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Dec 2007 - 4:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

csurry
    csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Dec 2007 - 4:38 PM

Yes, there was a notice about this when we were up there the other week and Johnwannop did say he saw a grey within the confines of the reserve.

They did believe that the nature of the geography protected the Formby reds, but it seems not. There is a belief that the greys will not cross an area of more than a mile without continuous trees. So Formby was protected on three sides, basically. However, it appears that one way or another the virus has been spread.

chase
    chase Critique Team 81115 forum postschase vcard England234 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Dec 2007 - 6:53 PM

This is tragic news,I wish I lived a little closer...well, a lot closer actually...I do hope the situation gets sorted quickly !

Simon_Palmer
    11 Dec 2007 - 6:57 PM

Damn Americans

agoreira
    agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
    11 Dec 2007 - 7:04 PM

Good chance for all the togs that have been there snapping away to give something back.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Dec 2007 - 7:06 PM

Quote: Good chance for all the togs that have been there snapping away to give something back.

Good idea.
    What a bad news for the reds...hope they survive

csurry
    11 Dec 2007 - 7:21 PM

Actually it's a good chance for everyone to give something back and to try and protect one of the last strongholds of a native species.

Dog walkers and just general members of the public far outweigh the number of photographers at Formby. In fact the number of photographers can generally be counted on one hand on any day.

I do think that the National Trust could be doing more to publicise this as when we went it was a simple notice of the secondary noticeboard within the reserve. Not on the main board at the entrance.

IanA
    IanA  103048 forum posts England12 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Dec 2007 - 7:25 PM

Quote: I do think that the National Trust could be doing more to publicise this as when we went it was a simple notice of the secondary noticeboard within the reserve. Not on the main board at the entrance.

With the exception of the first line, the 1st post is a cut and paste of a wildlife trusts Press release Cheryl. They are trying, and that is why I posted it here. Smile

Ian

csurry
    11 Dec 2007 - 7:32 PM

Yes Ian, but it's been going on since March this year - see link Could have chosen any number of stories from around March, but BBC is as good as any.

And what I'm saying is it wasn't well publicised on the site itself.

Barawic
    Barawic  8
    13 Dec 2007 - 3:30 PM

I hope this is sorted soon. However it was my understanding that the Formby red squirrels are not native to this country but were reintroduced from the continent. They are slightly darker than the native reds.
    I wish I could help - wherever they came from they are great to see.
    AndyJ

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Dec 2007 - 4:03 PM

Hmmm, I knew about the pox but not about the appeal to help. Think I'll take myself off down there one day next week.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Ian

stuwhitt
    stuwhitt  91357 forum posts United Kingdom
    13 Dec 2007 - 6:39 PM

Unfortunately its not just the pox that the Formby Reds have to contend with.

csurry
    13 Dec 2007 - 6:53 PM

Yes Paul mentioned the felling whilst we were there, you'd hope that they may reconsider until the spread of the disease is better understood, but I expect not.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.