Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Forum newbie looking for compact digital camera advice.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    militarymartin
    16 Jan 2004 - 4:54 PM

Hi,
    I've just signed up and I'm looking to replace my Olympus Mju film and Apple Quicktake 200 digital camera with a suitable compact digital camera. Ideally I'm looking for something that's got 3m+ pixels, zoom and close up facility, compatible with my Mac G4/400/AGP/GE (USB/Firewire), is easy to use, and falls within my GBP250.00 budget. I quite like the look of the Olympus compact ranges (especially the Mju400, currently at GBP229.00), but before I bite the bullet I would greatly appreciate any comments on it or any other suggestions you can offer.
    I look forward to your postings.
    Best regards
    Martin Donnelly

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Jan 2004 - 4:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

militarymartin
    28 Jan 2004 - 6:43 AM

Thanks for comments, I'll now go out and get myself a new camera.

scandave2003
    28 Jan 2004 - 9:15 AM

Hi Martin

A belated welcome. Not quite sure why your question got overlooked, it is very unusual for this forum. I am here almost every day and I certainly did not notice it first time round. Having said that maybe 5pm on a friday afternoon is not a good time to post. Who knows?

As for answering your question, I am afraid I can't help, no expertise in the area, as I have only had one digital camera the Fuji S602.

If your budget can strech to it it is well worth considering. It has all you ask for, but is over your budget. Others here may be able to help further. You could look at at DPReview or at the reviews on the Practical photographer section of this site.

Dave

scandave2003
    28 Jan 2004 - 10:29 AM

Hey guys and Gals forget the snow, can anyone help this guy.

Dave

FrankThomas
    FrankThomas e2 Member 112762 forum postsFrankThomas vcard United Kingdom
    28 Jan 2004 - 10:37 AM

if I used anything other than an S602, I'd be in a position to recomment one - alas I can't. There's numerous threads on here about compacts though - a search should dig them out

roxpix
    roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Jan 2004 - 10:57 AM

Hi Martin, why not have a look at the Canon A70, I havnt used one myself but a relative has one and likes it v much. I just had a look at the specs on dpreview.com and it seems to do all you are looking for.

Alan

flossie
    flossie  111557 forum posts
    28 Jan 2004 - 11:16 AM

I have an A70 Martin and I've been very pleased. Read my views in this thread here

militarymartin
    28 Jan 2004 - 4:12 PM

Hi,
    Thank you for the postings.
    Haven't got round to looking at the Canon A70, but unfortunately it's a bit late as I already had a trial of an Olympus Mju 400 over the weekend. It was extremely easy to use, and as I'd already got very positive feedback on it from another site (where I meant to post my comment above) I took the plunge and bought it yesterday from UK digital cameras - ukdigitalcameras.safeshopper.com/12/473.htm (249.99 with free Olympus 64MB Xd card and free special delivery postage, I also took the option of a leather case at +7.50, and could've upgraded to a 128MB card for an extra 21.00). Package was waiting for me at the office this morning, but have been too busy to get it all out. I hope to try it out tonight, and I will revert when I have further news.
    Best regards
    Martin

flossie
    flossie  111557 forum posts
    28 Jan 2004 - 4:29 PM

Have fun with it Martin, it's most unusual for a question to get overlooked on here so I hope it hasn't put you off, this is a fantastic site. Look forward to seeing some of your pictures.

gemg
    gemg  1071 forum posts
    28 Jan 2004 - 4:33 PM

I posted a reply this morning but I can't find it now so goodness knows where I posted that!

gemg
    gemg  1071 forum posts
    29 Jan 2004 - 10:42 AM

Just out of interest Martin, what other site was it?

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.