Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Forum Upgrade II

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MalcolmS
    MalcolmS e2 Member 91072 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Feb 2010 - 1:09 PM

Apologies if this was covered in the original thread on this, but I find that the main thing that is annoying me is not seeing the original question. This is especially the case when the thread has sunk into a chat line on some other topic, usually exchanging banal one line comments between a select few and bears no relationship to the original question.

Having to open a subject to see if I want to read it is very time consuming and hopeless if I am on limited time such as my lunch half hour. The site is slow at best for me so it severely limits my use of it, to the point where I can't be bothered to use the forums now.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 Feb 2010 - 1:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Bellie
    Bellie  7507 forum posts
    23 Feb 2010 - 1:15 PM

Malcolm,

Some forums do post the original question at the top of each page. Sometimes I think it works, sometimes not.

Threads always will have a life of their own though.

Last Modified By Bellie at 23 Feb 2010 - 1:17 PM
    Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318446 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Feb 2010 - 1:25 PM

Quote: but I find that the main thing that is annoying me is not seeing the original question.

Could you before? We haven't changed the code structure so recent activity is still the same...it shows the recent post?
    The site shouldn't be slow now we adjusted and optimised yesterday?

User_Removed
    23 Feb 2010 - 1:52 PM

It's not something I had noticed you could do before, not a bad idea though. The title of the thread is on every page. But that doesn't always relate completely to the question being asked or the topic in discussion.

MalcolmS
    MalcolmS e2 Member 91072 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Feb 2010 - 1:53 PM

From memory we saw the first couple of lines of the original question/comment, maybe not the whole thing but enough to get the gist. On the RHS it showed the last contributer's name and we had the option of going straight to the last page as now.

As I said previously though, sometimes the thread degenerates into banter or goes off at a tangent which makes it all the more difficult to see what the thread is about.

With respect to speed, I will pay more attention at home, at work it's always slow which is not the sites fault.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Feb 2010 - 1:56 PM

Quote: From memory we saw the first couple of lines of the original question/comment, maybe not the whole thing but enough to get the gist

Don't remember that at all.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318446 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Feb 2010 - 2:00 PM

I've checked with David he says we didn't have that? That's weird. I obviously use the forums daily but it all becomes subliminal So I cannot remember the old version now..totally sorted and happy using the news system.
    Can any one else remember a few lines of the first post appearing? maybe we had it in one area. If it's been taken out we can bring it back.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139463 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Feb 2010 - 2:23 PM

This may be something for V6 but I have seen forums where, if you hover the cursor over the thread title, a little box comes up with the first few lines of the original post.

Could be useful?

Pete
    23 Feb 2010 - 2:27 PM

Quote: This may be something for V6 but I have seen forums where, if you hover the cursor over the thread title, a little box comes up with the first few lines of the original post.

Sounds like a good idea. Edit David tells me it's already been requested on 15th and on the upgrade list and it's going to be implemented soonish

Last Modified By Pete at 23 Feb 2010 - 2:32 PM
    Boyd
    Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Feb 2010 - 2:34 PM

Quote: if you hover the cursor over the thread title, a little box comes up with the first few lines of the original post.

Especially useful where the thread titles are vague and you have to open them to find the details. Titles such as Help!, Which one?, Oops! and Pete's hair LOL could all benefit.

Last Modified By Boyd at 23 Feb 2010 - 2:35 PM
    MalcolmS
    23 Feb 2010 - 7:02 PM

How strange, I must have been having a senor moment

Quote: if you hover the cursor over the thread title, a little box comes up with the first few lines of the original post.

I think this would be a good idea though

On the subject of speed, now I'm at home the speed doesn't seem too bad and better than it has been recently.

Last Modified By MalcolmS at 23 Feb 2010 - 7:04 PM
    WelshKiwi
    WelshKiwi  63231 forum posts Wales2 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Feb 2010 - 10:39 PM

In the old forums when you posted in a thread you could always see a little of the last comment made - along with the name of the person who made it...

Is this what Malcolm is talking about?

Lol and you still can Wink time for bed me thinks!!

Last Modified By WelshKiwi at 23 Feb 2010 - 10:40 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.