Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Fotolibra stock library - has anyone had sales with them?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
david j. green
2 Jun 2006 - 5:02 PM

I joined Fotolibra 3 months ago and added 325 images so far and never had a single sale. However with other libraries I have had regular sales, many of those sold are also with Fotolibra.

As my membership at 18 a quarter is about to expire and soon needs to be renewed I am wondering if its worth it.

Has anyone else had experience with them, have any images sold?

David

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Jun 2006 - 5:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

PSILVERMAN
3 Jun 2006 - 1:27 AM

I don't know about other people but I personally wouldn't send images to libraries etc. where you have to pay to do so.The ones I deal with don't charge and IMHO they shouldn't either.
Phil.

david j. green
3 Jun 2006 - 5:58 AM

I was dubious at first about having to pay to upload images to them (first 5 are free but what use is that?) but they are a member of BAPLA (British Association of Picture Libraries and Agencies) so I assumed (perhaps wrongly?) that they must be legitimate. It seems they make their money from joining fees so they will make a profit even if they never sell a single image.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022920 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna32 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jun 2006 - 6:13 AM

I understand they cleared about a 1,000 images in 12 months.....not a huge amount.

Looks more like you're paying for an online storage facility to me.

Tom_H
Tom_H  948 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jun 2006 - 10:42 AM

I sold an image through Fotolibra about 18 months ago, but haven't sold anything through them since.

But having said that I haven't loaded anything onto there for ages either.

david j. green
13 Jun 2006 - 10:28 AM

Interestingly I just had an email from them today saying someone was interested in using one of my images but they apparently lost interest as I had set it as rights managed instead of royalty free. It was suggested I should make a lot more of my shots RF.

From the timing of this I cant help feeling a little suspicious that their message might be a result of this thread I started, I must be getting paranoid !

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022920 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna32 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2006 - 10:59 AM

It's like the old agency trick....A job's come in with your name on it!!!

At last....where and what?

Can you be in Oslo by 9am tomorrow morning....and how's your scuba diving?

Erm.....Possibly and non-existant.
Sad

Ohhhh...never mind....next time..keep in touch

Wink

anvilman4
anvilman4  12
11 Jun 2009 - 1:45 PM

Yes, I've had a number of images sold and have made a few hundred pounds out of it. However, as a rule of thumb with photo libraries, to stand a chance of making a reasonable income, you need a minimum of around 5000 images which should all be high quality and of a saleable subject. I am nowhere near that number yet. I have looked at much of the stock carried on Fotolibra and a lot of it leaves a lot to be desired and indicates a lot of people are putting on rubbish, thus wasting their own time and money.

philcrean
philcrean  6 United Kingdom
18 Aug 2010 - 8:12 PM

I just discovered them today; anyone with any more to add since about sales or other comments in the last year?

thermosoflask
20 Aug 2010 - 5:17 AM

I to recently joined fotolibra and will give it a year or so, before i decide wether to move on, the main feature i enjoy is receiving the picture calls, if nothing else it gives you idea's for future shoots, I have about 100 images on there so far, and will continue to add more.
From what i understand about stock photo's the more you have the better your chance's of sales, ohh and they need to be top quaility. Phil maybe we should keep in touch to see how we get on, good luck, John.

thermosoflask
20 Aug 2010 - 5:18 AM

bloody hell keep doing this, sorry ( hit button twice)

philcrean
20 Aug 2010 - 8:06 AM

John
I am already a contributor with Alamy and am looking around for other libraries to send photos to.
For the moment I'm not sending any to Fotolibra as I don't think that it is right to have to pay
to send stuff to them. If they are doing their job properly they will make a decent profit on the
commissions they take without charging photographers for storage fees. I already pay fees to
store photos on my own web site.
Good luck to you. It would be good to hear what sales you make.

Phil

thermosoflask
21 Aug 2010 - 7:59 PM

Hmm Funny thing since i posted i'd submitted 14 photo's to there photo calls, and had 9 short listed. so we'll see how it goe's, you dont have to pay unless you want to put loads of photo's online, just put a couple up, Then when you get the picture calls you just send them in, upload them straight to the picture call, I must agree with you that paying for putting up your pictures is a bit naughty, Still im wondering why if your with Alamy why you need to look elsewhere? im with Fotolibra cos there's less competion and im not making a living out of photography just hoping to earn extra for new equipment with out upsetting the Wife lol, Will keep you up to date nice to chat to you, John.

philcrean
21 Aug 2010 - 8:10 PM

John,
I'm just trying to spread my work around a bit. I reckon one library may have different clients who wouldn't search on alamy.
Maybe I'll do as you suggest and just upload to photo calls.
Good luck
Phil

thermosoflask
21 Aug 2010 - 8:36 PM

Wow Phil just been looking at your web site and your competion i could do with out, stunning shots particualry jealous of the fact you've been to New Zealand, thats my Lottery dream lol.
One thing i could point out is that it cost around a 1 a week to store upto 6gbs of photo's on fotolibra's site, a couple of sales should cover that. I will be interested in how you get on, the last call this week was for photo's of the carribean,,, all sorts of stuff, good luck be nice to hear how you get on, John.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.