Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

FPS v Battery Life ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    pulsar69
    pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jul 2013 - 8:37 AM

I was unaware until yesterday that battery life and fps were linked to such an extent , however my 5d3 slowed right down on me yesterday to approx 2-3 fps and after spending 10 minutes checking settings and getting nowhere checked the battery levels and they were down to 25% , so changed the battery and preston back to 6fps. Recharged that battery and it works fine now , however that battery is showing a red indicator on the recharge performance screen, has anyone else come across this ? I might expect if if the battery was nearly dead but it was still showing two bars ?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Jul 2013 - 8:37 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Newdevonian
    15 Jul 2013 - 9:12 AM

Is it a cosher battery? There could well be a difference between the battery voltage and its capability to deliver that voltage in a sustained manner.

pulsar69
    15 Jul 2013 - 9:17 AM

Yes its an original Canon battery however as the recharge performance shows a red bar i presume that has something to do with it ?

thewilliam
    15 Jul 2013 - 11:21 AM

Quote: Yes its an original Canon battery however as the recharge performance shows a red bar i presume that has something to do with it ?

Be aware that there are a lot of fake Canon and other marque batteries on the market. Did the battery come with the camera?

mikehit
    mikehit  46188 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jul 2013 - 11:31 AM

You don't say how long it is since you charge the battery nor how many frames you have taken and how many of those were at high frame rate. My 7D battery is good for about 800 frames and it would not matter much if those frames were one-shot or 8 FPS.

The lifespan of any battery is a balance between intensity of use and frequency of use. The Duracell range, for example use to excel at low use for a long time (such as torches) but was less useful than other brands for high intensity in short bursts. So it would not surprise me if frequent use of high framerate reduced battery lifespan. Having said that, I use my 7D for wildlife and in short bursts of 5 or 6 shots at 8fps, but I have not noticed a significant drop in the number of frames per charge.

pulsar69
    15 Jul 2013 - 11:49 AM

The battery was fully charged the day before and used at a the end of a ( hence the two bars left ) wedding , the following day during some sightseeing used it straight out the bag and it was slow to start off with nothing to do with how many frames it had fired or buffering it was just slow , tried a different battery fine , tried that one again and its slowed , now that battery is charged it is fine, Hence was definitely down to the battery the speed it was firing at.

The battery is supposed to be an original canon and it came with one of our 5Ds though not sure which one so i cant see it being fake , saying that we have 4 aftermarket batteries and they are performing better.

This has now got me thinking as there times during weddings i am using the 6fps so now wondering just how much battery it takes and how fully charged it needs to be ! I have never come across the issue before.

Last Modified By pulsar69 at 15 Jul 2013 - 11:51 AM
    mikehit
    mikehit  46188 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jul 2013 - 12:29 PM

I have to say I have not noticed my 7D slowing down towards the end of the battery charge. It does sound strange.

steve_p
    steve_p  81094 forum posts England
    15 Jul 2013 - 3:10 PM

Would our super summer hot weather have something to do with it? Just a thought. My satnav won't charge saying its too warm!

pulsar69
    15 Jul 2013 - 4:57 PM

I was down at Salford Quays at the time next to the river and although warm it wasnt as roasting as it has been !

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62435 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    16 Jul 2013 - 8:16 AM

Perhaps someone who knows more about the battery for the 5D3 can comment in more detail.
    Some batteries hold their voltage throughout the discharge cycle and stop working very quickly when the battery gets exhausted.
    Others gradually lose a voltage during the discharge cycle with a gradual reduction in ability to keep performing to high fps demands.
    If the battery type is one that gradually looses voltage it might be reasonable for it not to deliver high fps when 75% discharged.

pulsar69
    16 Jul 2013 - 8:28 AM

Quote: Perhaps someone who knows more about the battery for the 5D3 can comment in more detail.
    Some batteries hold their voltage throughout the discharge cycle and stop working very quickly when the battery gets exhausted.
    Others gradually lose a voltage during the discharge cycle with a gradual reduction in ability to keep performing to high fps demands.
    If the battery type is one that gradually looses voltage it might be reasonable for it not to deliver high fps when 75% discharged.

That was my thought too and would be interested if that could be verified , its difficult to know at exactly what point of the day i might want to employ 6fps but it seems if this is the case i will need to be then checking the remaining power on the battery first, i tend to use it for throwing the bouqet , guys jumping in the air , HDR shots to get rid if line up issues or wind problems, kids dancing at night etc so going down to what seems to be 2-3 fps or less is a bit of an issue.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62435 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    19 Jul 2013 - 8:30 PM

Quote:
    That was my thought too and would be interested if that could be verified

I know Canon were relatively late introducing the more efficient lithium-ion batteries, but do not know enough about Canon to comment in detail.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.