Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Frame rate vs single shot snobbery.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94035 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2010 - 12:24 PM

Odd title I know, but bear with me.
I don't know if I'm the only one who has had this, or whether I've just got the sort of face that makes people tell me what to do!
Anyway, out with the camera today as it was the Boxing day meet of the local hunt, no horses out, but they bought the hounds down, so thought I'd get some shots, I'd taken out the 5D MkII with a 24-105 on for some close shots & the 1D MkIII with the 70-200 to get some action shots. So as 2 hounds came running through the snow towards me playing together I hefted up the 1D & shot off a few in burst mode to get some different positions and expressions as they came towards me. Only to be told by a very smart couple in their matching new barbours & wellies & matching cameras that why are you machine gunning, can't you take one shot & get it right!!! I explained that I wanted to get a few frames of them running and surely there is a place for single shots and multi shots, depending on what you are shooting at the time.
I was also told the other week at the camera club that sports photographers were just machine gunners who couldn't just take one shot and get it right!

Well, anyway is it me? Should I only ever have my camera in single shot mode? Or have I just got the sort of face that every time I go out with the camera someone tells me what I should be doing.

Last Modified By whipspeed at 27 Dec 2010 - 12:27 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Dec 2010 - 12:24 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2010 - 12:30 PM

Haha, I tend to shoot single frames. As soon as you shoot a few frames together then you get accused of machine gunning.

To me there is a big difference machine gunning a moving object and a static one. I once stood next to someone at a falconry shoot that must have been taking 15-20 shots for every one of mine. Now that's machine gunning as the bird is not going anywhere!

Just shoot the way that suits you, that's what I do. I'd say being female makes people feel more confident thatbthey can tell you what you should be doing as they don't expect a smart alec reply Wink

Little do they know Wink

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94035 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2010 - 12:34 PM

Another example was at a pro cycle race I went to watch with my husband and someone came over to tell me that I was holding my camera incorrectly when not shooting Smile I really didn't know what to say to that one.
Think it must just be as you say that being female makes them tell you what to do.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2010 - 12:38 PM

Quote: someone came over to tell me that I was holding my camera incorrectly when not shooting Smile

Do tell, how is one supposed to hold it.

whipspeed
27 Dec 2010 - 12:42 PM

I don't know, but not holding it by the strap in your hand by your side. Apparently.

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 83464 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
27 Dec 2010 - 1:20 PM

Quote: Only to be told by a very smart couple in their matching new barbours & wellies & matching cameras that why are you machine gunning, can't you take one shot & get it right!!!

...you mean that someone really said that to you...that's incredible....and you felt the need to explain yourself !!! Smile

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2010 - 1:35 PM

Quote: I don't know, but not holding it by the strap in your hand by your side. Apparently.

Jesus - I'd be looking for a wet kipper to slap you around the face with - terible behaviour!!! Wink

Were there kids around, what kind of example are you setting to them!!??? Wink

You let yourself down, your family down, EPZ down, the UK down... tsk!

Wink

I own a 5D - is there any point in going on fast shutter rates at 3/second!

All I'd say to gunners is... do you not get bored looking at 1000 shots of the same thing when you get home? Wink

Eastlands
Eastlands e2 Member 3644 forum postsEastlands vcard Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2010 - 1:41 PM

If my old friends at Nikon have created "machine gun mode" on my camera I am damn sure I am going to shoot in continuous mode when shooting action shots, then I can select the one that stands out and is worthy of printing and selling.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 109964 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2010 - 2:06 PM

I tend to shoot single frame for a variety of reasons but mainly, because that's the way I prefer to do it (I have this funny feeling that I know beter than the camera which moment I'm trying to capture and somehow it feels better when I get it right, rather than leaving it to chance - but that's just the way I feel).

From a practical standpoint I remember shooting a Bournemouth Air Show from a friend's balcony, he had his camera on his tripod set to "Machine Gun" and I was holding mine and shooting in "Sniper" mode. At the end of the session I had something like 300 shots whereas he had more than 3,500. As we were both shooting RAW, guess who had his shots sorted first Smile (in fact I know that after about 3 months said friend had gotten bored and given up processing any more images)

(I see Ade has just posed that very question in his piece)

Last Modified By brian1208 at 27 Dec 2010 - 2:06 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2010 - 2:10 PM

I shoot landscapes, architecture, stationary cars and strobe-based portraits - so no need for gunning

in fact, I sometimes take 20 shots of the same sunset as the sun goes down - look at the shots later and they're all the same.. tedious... so lost interest!

If I were shooting sport or moving things, then GUN! ity is

last time I did it was on friend's gallopping horse in an attempt to get a shot with all 4 feet off the floor - which I did Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2010 - 2:16 PM

Can't remember when I last had a camera set to anything other than single shot! As Ade and Brian indicate, it is so tedious to look at a whole load of almost identical shots and decide which is the best one.

I would certainly consider multiple-shot if shooting action. But there again I prefer to shoot video for this (but that's just me! Wink)

whipspeed
27 Dec 2010 - 2:21 PM

Exactly Ade, literally horses for courses Smile The machine gun is there when you need it and turned off when you don't.
I'm just continually surprised when I get told off by random strangers Smile
I do sometimes get bored when I get home from a cycle race, but need to get a few shots as certain leg positions don't look as good as some and people tend to blink, so it's good to get a selection to choose the best from as that is the one that will probably sell.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2010 - 2:43 PM

Quote: I'm just continually surprised when I get told off by random strangers

As Cheryl has indicated that may be because you're a lady with a big camera.

Women driving 4x4s tend to be regarded by many men as being unable to drive such large vehicles. Same sort of thing............

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 109964 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2010 - 2:45 PM

Quote: The machine gun is there when you need it

I hope none of the "anti-terrorist screening-bots" picks that reference up! Tongue

whipspeed
27 Dec 2010 - 2:53 PM

Whoops, yes, must keep quiet about that!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.