Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Frames / borders

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
psiman
psiman  10551 forum posts Wales
25 Jul 2012 - 8:49 PM

Personally I find it depends upon the image. I've uploaded a couple of images: "Emergence" which is a high key image which I feel works best without a border and "Hard & Soft" which is another long exposure seascape with more detail and a defined sky where I find a single pixel black border helps to unify the image.

Last Modified By psiman at 25 Jul 2012 - 8:49 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Jul 2012 - 8:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

chavender
chavender e2 Member 3214 forum postschavender vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2012 - 10:06 PM

Thanks all for your input.
I guess it all depends on the image and the individual.
Good point about a large border taking up valuable image space.

Bill

779HOB
779HOB  21020 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Jul 2012 - 8:21 AM

I have sung back and forth on borders for years. I donít like big borders but am happy with a small black or white border now. I donít always use them it depends on the use I have for the image. If I do use them they are only 2 or 3 pixels thick.

I may be slightly influenced by the fact that my favourite photographer (James Ravilious insisted on having an small black border on the his prints. He felt it close the image off. When mounted on white it looks very good.

As for watermarking Ė I do watermark my photos. My watermark is small and although they are removable you still have to crop the image or clone the mark out. I also update the file info with copyright information too. This also adds a nice © in the file name when opened in PS.

Why do I watermark? I see it in two ways; 1] itís an advert for my website and 2] it clearly shows that the image is under copyright. Anyone then removing the watermark has in effect broken the window and stolen the TV. I.E. knowingly broken copyright.

Both watermarking and boarders are a personal thing of course. Like whether images should be presented on a black or white background (or any other colour) I think white only and ever, but thatís me and others will feel black or green is best.

Jestertheclown
31 Jul 2012 - 9:58 AM

Quote: I think white only and ever,

Black for me!

Like yourself, I very occasionally use a few-pixels-wide line around an image but only if I tghink that it enhances it i some way.
I also agree with everything you say re. watermarks. They have a place and it's entirely the choice of the individual whether or not to include them.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 31 Jul 2012 - 9:58 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.