Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Frames and Mounts

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Pat_Stones
    26 Mar 2012 - 3:40 PM

It's a long time since I did much printing and framing. I want to put some new pictures around the house for Spring and I want them all in plain (not ornate) frames and mounted

Are 4 x 90, Wilkinson's and Hobbycraft still seen as the best places for cheap but decent quality frames? Where else should I look? I want non-reflective glass if possible. Want to avoid plastic. Am I better getting frames from one place, mounts another. I'm toying with the idea of making my own mounts but is it worth it if I'm only going to have a dozen or so frames?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Mar 2012 - 3:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chrism8
    Chrism8  7739 forum posts England13 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Mar 2012 - 4:00 PM

" The Range " are quite good for frames, I then get all my mounts from " Cotswold Mounts ", I live fairly close so collect from them, but their postage and min order qty's are reasonable.

Chris

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    cattyal
    cattyal e2 Member 95956 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Mar 2012 - 4:24 PM

I doubt you'll find non reflective glass in shops like the Range - but I might be wrong. It's always worth visiting a framing shop to see what they have - I use one in town that has a huge range of ready made frames plus do a bespoke service and they're not as expensive as you'd think. Plus they do the mounts as well so I can sort everything under one roof.

It's the non reflective glass that doesn't half bump the price up sadly!

Martin54
    Martin54 e2 Member 8495 forum postsMartin54 vcard United Kingdom
    26 Mar 2012 - 4:47 PM

Ikea have a good range of simple frames which include mounts. The mounts supplied with frames are fine as long as they fit the your pictures or you can print to fit the apperture.
    Martin

Devon_Wild
    26 Mar 2012 - 6:48 PM

Tried cutting my own mounts, but very difficult, unless you purcase a mount cutter in access of 200 or so, even then it takes skill.

Bought my last mounts from Cotswold Mounts, and I am pleased.

Rob

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82255 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom120 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Mar 2012 - 6:52 PM

Another vote for ikea. I think their prices have recently dropped a little too. The Ribba range sound like they might be up your street. Watch out when handling them (I suspect this is the same for all frames) - lift them whenever possible from 2 sides - I ruined a load of frames a couple of years ago by picking them up from one side in the middle - this tends to cause a gap to open up in the corners. Sorry if this is treating granny to suck eggs...

Adam

Bluke
    Bluke e2 Member 9303 forum postsBluke vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Mar 2012 - 6:58 PM

My vote is also for Cotswold Mounts and Ikea .... but I have also got some large cheapo frames for carbooties...quick lick of paint and contrasting mount works a treat....good luck...Grin

neillr
    neillr  3 Scotland
    26 Mar 2012 - 8:06 PM

Bearing in mind you ae likely to prefer some flexibility on your crop to suit the picture, rather than making it fit a pre-determined size, consider making your own mounts. It's not hard if you're at all practically minded and a decent mount cutter won't break the bank. I've used a Logan 301-s for years and had great (and consistent) results including double mounts. Avoid the cheap cutters without a guide.

Have a look at this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Logan-301-1-Compact-Classic-Picture-mount-matt-cutter-...

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96205 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Mar 2012 - 10:02 PM

I have recently been looking at mounts and frames

Cotswold Mounts were recommended to me but having spoken to them on the telephone it was made quite clear that you had to buy in "packages" of the same mount size AND with the same aperture size Sad

This was not an option for me but they suggested a company named Picture Frames Express

Online ordering and you can mix & match any size mount with any size aperture, but still a minimum order required. ( For me 5 mounts were enough to meet this ) Works out about 5 per mount ( 40cm x 50cm size )

As for frames, Picture Frames Express do these as well, but I thought quite expensive so went for those from The Range, not available online so you have to visit a store.
    Plain black plastic with glass & backing board 4.79 for size suitable for the 40cm x 50cm mount .

Last Modified By JJGEE at 26 Mar 2012 - 10:03 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Martin54
    Martin54 e2 Member 8495 forum postsMartin54 vcard United Kingdom
    26 Mar 2012 - 10:11 PM

Try the Picture Gallery in Bedford. They cut mounts to any size in any combination. Also got a good range of ready made and made to size frames. I've used them several times and am very pleased with their services. If you live nearby you can collect from them to save the postage.
    Martin

Last Modified By Martin54 at 26 Mar 2012 - 10:12 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    kevspiers
    kevspiers  867 forum posts
    26 Mar 2012 - 10:30 PM

+1 for the Logun set up I have used one for years, you can use the discarded centres as smaller mounts as well Smile

Far less technical then Neillr's version but it works for me
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Logan-Team-System-24-Mountcutter-Mount-Mat-Cutter-New-...

As for mount card I use Bristol Framing Supplies, your regular 500x400 card for club competitions is a 1 a sheet when bought in 20's

Last Modified By kevspiers at 26 Mar 2012 - 10:35 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Pat_Stones
    26 Mar 2012 - 11:55 PM

Thanks everyone, plenty to think about

User_Removed
    27 Mar 2012 - 2:25 PM

Another vote for Cotswold Mounts. A 50x40 mount with any size of aperture will cost 1.29 + VAT + postage (which will depend upon size of order).

50x40 frames 9.95 from B&Q.

classcams
    classcams  5117 forum posts
    1 Apr 2012 - 6:35 PM

I have always made my own frames. Non reflective glass can be had at all glaziers, just give them the size required.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.