Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Framing

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    djh698
    djh698  10603 forum posts Canada4 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Nov 2013 - 4:06 PM

It is generally accepted that most works of art including photographs are greatly enhanced by a frame but I would say that the majority of pictures posted on epz don't have frames. Granted, if a picture is that good it should do well without a frame but I feel that people putting pictures on this site are missing out on showcasing their work to their best advantage. What do others think?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Nov 2013 - 4:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 43667 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Nov 2013 - 4:15 PM

Like everything else it's a matter of personal taste. Some like, some don't like.

alansnap
    alansnap e2 Member 10528 forum postsalansnap vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Nov 2013 - 4:28 PM

Generally I would agree, but, when image size is restricted, I like to get as much image as possible on the site without losing some space to the frame.
    Alan

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Nov 2013 - 5:06 PM

As others have said in general a frame can make or break some images, More so with the printed hanging on the wall variety.

The taste angle is where it sometimes goes completely wrong though, If you have noticed the gallery images that do not have a frame, You must also have seen some frames that are, Lets be honest ghastly, That said its a personal thing really, I tend to highlight my images with a very fine border as it lifts them from the black background I prefer to use.

6 to 10 pixels absolute max in my case, Or as Alan says you can smother the image.

Migster
    Migster  175 forum posts England
    7 Nov 2013 - 7:59 PM

DJH
    Would you let us see an example of what you mean?
    Maybe a before & after.
    Cheers
    John

Last Modified By Migster at 7 Nov 2013 - 8:00 PM
    Belleyeteres
    Belleyeteres e2 Member 354 forum postsBelleyeteres vcard United Kingdom
    7 Nov 2013 - 8:05 PM

Most of the judges who come to our club say if you want to put a border on no more then 3 pixels otherwise it draws attention away from the photograph. Also if it is a dark picture going on a dark mount you can use one to show the edge of the photograph.

Mozzytheboy
    Mozzytheboy e2 Member 3550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Nov 2013 - 8:48 PM

Oh heck .. I'm a bit of a tinker really with respect to a border. I find I do actually get a bit carried away with them. Maybe because I actually think among The incredible images on show here at EPZ, I kind of think I personally need to really work hard on any bit of my image to hopefully get a 'non scratch my back vote.'

My earlier borders were far to clumsy, this I know. In recent months I have varied them; working hard to make it blend without actually detracting from the image.

As a chap who has never been anything other than a hobbiest in photography, I was always used to a white border when I got my images back from Boots or whoever; so for me borders are normal .. I think.

Mozzy

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 43667 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2013 - 6:02 AM

The KISS principal should be applied to borders. A successful choice is the border that doesn't get noticed by the viewer, I feel.

Personally, a black bg and a simple 2 pixel white border for all images works for me.

Malc

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.