Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Fraud using your home address.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Britman
Britman  81669 forum posts England
19 Sep 2008 - 3:16 PM

Hey,
I've been getting a few final demands from credit card/loan companies delivered to my address, but addressed to other people. It would appear that my address is being used for fraud.

Just wondering what I can do about this? The people the letter are addressed to have never lived in this building as far as I'm aware.

I fully expect bailiffs to turn up at some point, now can I refuse them entry, I'm pretty sure I can but need to know either way.
Another thing will my address be black listed as a known address used in fraud?

cheers.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Sep 2008 - 3:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

big fella
big fella  11485 forum posts England
19 Sep 2008 - 3:41 PM

Have you contacted the sender(s)?
Bailiffs require a court order to gain entry; the loan/credit card company will have to take you to court in order to instruct bailiffs. I am sure that it will not get that far if you talk to them (the card/loan companies) sooner rather than later, to sort it out.

It could be a computer error (I had something similar with the electricity company - they sent me a demand for an unpaid bill, my address different name and account number. I spoke to them and it went away!)

Good luck!

;0)

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 95987 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2008 - 3:45 PM

I had something similar when a letter regarding a refused credit card application arrived at my house, not addressed to me but using the correct address and postcode. I rang the relevant bank and they simply said not to worry about it.

I've never heard a peep since and my subsequent mortgage application went through a doddle so my records must be fine!

Bellie
Bellie  7507 forum posts
19 Sep 2008 - 3:45 PM

As far as I am aware, it is not the case that addresses are blacklisted any more. Only people.

Britman
19 Sep 2008 - 4:00 PM

Thanks guys. Will contact said people.

Chrism8
Chrism8  7743 forum posts England13 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2008 - 4:08 PM

Mark, strongly suggest you get an Experian listing of your credit file, will cost you around 7.50 ish, can't remember the exact figure, this will show the outstanding amounts and anything else that you are not aware of at the moment, you'll also have to write / prove your not these persons, in order to preserve your credit profile. There is also one other company ( equifax ) that is similar to Experian, worth doing same here as well.

Edit - go to experian.co.uk and you can do it online for FREE.

Chris

Last Modified By Chrism8 at 19 Sep 2008 - 4:10 PM
CanonMan
CanonMan e2 Member 12474 forum postsCanonMan vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2008 - 4:51 PM

I had several mobile phone bills turn up at my house for the same person (different companies). Contacted them all. Orange cancelled straight away. The others (3 and O2) just let the person run up huge bills and kept sending out demands. The police didn't care as no crime had been committed against me. I lost count of the number of times I told 3 and o2 but they did eventually get the message. No effect on my credit rating.

Last Modified By CanonMan at 19 Sep 2008 - 4:52 PM
Big Bri
Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
19 Sep 2008 - 5:10 PM

Quote: Mark, strongly suggest you get an Experian listing of your credit file, will cost you around 7.50 ish, can't remember the exact figure

You can sign up for a free month trial with Experian, but beware you have to cancel by phone, during work hours.

I would also go to Equifax. Although these people will sell you a credit check for about 7.50, legally, you should be able to get all the data they have on you for 2 under the data protection act. I've done this (you just need to find your way through the web site) and it works.

I had a problem that my credit card company had a mortgage customer with the same name and birthday as me, so their computer decided we were the same person, and his address got linked to mine in Experian's system. When his credit card company went to chase him, they ended up with my address....

Took 6 months to sort out.

User_Removed
19 Sep 2008 - 5:32 PM

In my days as a computer programmer, I used to work for Experian.

Just to clarify one point. There really is no such thing as a blacklist. All financial data about a person including all financial agreements, how long they lasted, how much they were for, frequency of payment, amount of payment, overdue payments (and how long overdue) etc etc ARE recorded. The systems provide a credit score based on this information and this is supplied to other companies enquiring (a "search"). This search in itself is also recorded. It is up to the searching company how they interpret the result (some of the more "eager" credit card companys like Capital One for instance are more relaxed in their interpretation)

Also any financial associations you have are also recorded so for instance, if you have a joint account with someone and they have financial difficulties, this MAY be taken into account by a lender as you are deemed to be associated with them.

Of course it should be impossible for someone to obtain any form of credit these days without supporting documentation which is where identity theft comes in.

As has been said, your first step should be to inform immediately by 'phone the relevant company issuing the letters or whatever and follow this up with a recorded delivery letter. Never just rely on a telephone conversation.

Then contact Experian as has been suggested and go through the process to look at your own credit file (it's quite illuminating actually and I can recommend you doing it). When I looked at mine, I found out that a car finance company had never cleared off the balance of a car I had sold 4 years previously. It wasn't flagged as defaulted but just hadn't been cleared.

Do it right away as this really needs your urgent attention.

Out of interest, I assume you don't get polling cards for any of these people as this would suggest they are on the electoral roll which is USUALLY necessary for a successful credit application (to reputable companies anyway). Another bit of info about electoral rolls. If you go to see this in your public library, just because someone isn't shown on it doesn't mean they aren't actually on it. You can choose not to be in the public register.

One final point to note. Not all companies supply credit data to companies like Experian and Equifax. In fact, there is no obligation for them to do so but most do as it benefits them as well. Even then, there are quite a few companies proving credit information and not all finance companies will supply info to ALL the credit reference agencies so being 'clear' on one doesn't necessarily mean you are clear on others. It's a real mine field.

I'm sorry to ramble on and I do hope you get it sorted

Last Modified By User_Removed at 19 Sep 2008 - 5:34 PM
User_Removed
19 Sep 2008 - 5:54 PM

Whilst I agree with that action to an extent, you do need to know who these demands are coming from. Equally, returning bills etc unopened is a very common course of action amongst people in financial difficulties so the company concerned might not automatically assume there is an error rather someone who cannot or will not pay their bills!

In any event, fraud or potential needs to be reported.

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123851 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2008 - 6:56 PM

As regards Bailiffs you can quite lawfully refuse them entry to your home; in fact it is in your best interests to do so as once you let them in then they are legally alowed to enter your home any time afterwards; I believe that Bailiffs from the R&C are legally entitled to enter your home in any circumstances ... our government looks after itself :-(
If you are expecting a Bailiff to call ensure your windows and doors are shut and locked as it is not beyond them to climb through an open window and claim to have accessed your house legally; btw they are not allowed to force their way in.
Peter

Britman
19 Sep 2008 - 7:31 PM

Thanks again guys. I will act on your suggestions.

One other thing, as this building used to be a house, it's now three self contained flats, these letters are addressed to number 3 where as I live at 3A. It's 3A on my driving license, all my banking details and on my polling card.

ripleysalien
19 Sep 2008 - 8:25 PM

A bailiff can not enter your property unless invited, and do not need a court order if a police officer is present.
A bailiff himself told me this when a similar case to this happened to me, he asked how can you be sure no one of that name lived here before you he said, because I built the damn place and lived here ever since, you muppet now bu66er off, he checked apologized and left, aint heard since.

Steve

Opening mail not intended for you is and offence, interfering with her Majesty's Royal Mail, you will be shot at dawn.

The last bits untrue but added drama

Last Modified By ripleysalien at 19 Sep 2008 - 8:27 PM
trivets12
trivets12  101149 forum posts
19 Sep 2008 - 8:51 PM

I think you should immediately contact the senders of the letters and tell them of their error. If any of the letters is for an unpaid gas or electric bill for example, the bailiff can and will gain entry with a locksmith if necessary, and remove your meter leaving you with no power.
We recently had a problem with letters coming for somebody whom we never heard of. Return to Sender just gets the letter lost in the post. We tried this twice, and upon receiving the third letter, I opened it only to find it was from the probation service issuing a warrant for this person. To cut a long story short, after several phone calls and a visit from the police, we managed to convince them there was no such person. You absolutely must return those letters with a letter from yourself stating who you are and that they have the wrong address.

Britman
19 Sep 2008 - 9:27 PM

I've returned other letters before, junk mail mainly. But also put them inside another envelope with paid postage, that is if the letter had a return to sender.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.