Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Free image software that will make frames for my pictures???

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    motorsportpictures

Hi all, does anyvody know of a free image software that I can make frames for all of my images, to put on EPZ???

Scott

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Feb 2009 - 5:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
    strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Feb 2009 - 5:02 PM

Yes the GIMP. All image editing software I have ever used support frame making, just re-size the canvas or image. I am certain it is in the learn section

But for posting to EPZ, its best not to as all you do is make the image even smaller.

davidburleson
    davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72238 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
    24 Feb 2009 - 5:03 PM

A quick google gave me this:

http://www.newfreedownloads.com/Multimedia-Graphics/Image-Editors/Framing-Studio...

Its free to try

motorsportpictures

Thanks Ive got gimp but I cant find out how to do that, and Just had a look on the http://www.newfreedownloads.com/Multimedia-Graphics/Image-Editors/Framing-Studio... but that is free to try but $24 to buy so I probly won ure that one, thanks

Last Modified By motorsportpictures at 24 Feb 2009 - 5:08 PM
    bmh1
    bmh1 e2 Member 8571 forum postsbmh1 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Feb 2009 - 5:12 PM

Quote: Thanks Ive got gimp but I cant find out how to do that ...

I would guess what you want is under the menu Script-Fu -> Decor -> Add Border.

strawman
    strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Feb 2009 - 5:16 PM

IF it is just a colour border, then decide how many pixels you want the border to be, and re-size your picture to be 600-border pixels wide. Next re-size your canvas to be 600x600 and keep your image in the middle.

If you want a black or white border select that option in the re-size dialogue box.

Suppose you want a 2 pixel wide colour line, with white around it as a border. Re-size your image to 590 x 590 pixels. re-size the canvas to 594 x 594. copy your image to the top layer, select all of the bottom layer and fill it with white.

re-size the canvas to 596 x 596. Stick another layer beneath your white one and fill it with whatever colour of line you want.

Then re-size the canvas to 600x600 and select the white fill. You now have a coloured line etc etc.

Play with it and free borders. But it does rob you of image size and often looks tacky.

tg
    tg  986 forum posts Scotland
    24 Feb 2009 - 5:17 PM

I agree with Strawman!! adding a frame to your EPZ shots will make them really small.

Do you have Photoshop Elements? There are alot of spare copies out there. Ask some friends if they have a copy that they do not use. Alot of people do have spares/unused software as Elements used to come free with some new printers and cameras.

Hope this helps,
    Thomas

Last Modified By tg at 24 Feb 2009 - 5:18 PM
    motorsportpictures

Sorry about that comment I had just made I was on my dads acount becasue he was just on here, and I thought that it was on mine, so I deleted it the comment i had made to people who didnt see it were

Thanks everyone, Im getting CS3 soon, so will that help??

M0TFT
    M0TFT  871 forum posts England
    24 Feb 2009 - 7:01 PM

You could also have a look at Faststone Image resizer, you'll need to venture into the advanced settings, the yellow flower and pink rhododendron in my pf were done with it

Alan (M0TFT)

Xiaoli
    Xiaoli  5661 forum posts South Africa14 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Feb 2009 - 7:33 PM

if you have photoshop or photoshop elements there are any number of free plugins you can download.

google free photoshop plugin

Xiaoli
    Xiaoli  5661 forum posts South Africa14 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Feb 2009 - 7:35 PM

and adding a border doesn't necessarily mean you are resizing your image. It depends on how you compress your pictures. Compression doesn't have to mean loss of size.

User_Removed
    24 Feb 2009 - 8:36 PM

I think the point was that you are limited to certain pixel dimensions on this site. Adding any border will eat into these dimensions and reduce the size of the displayed image.

motorsportpictures

OK thanks people, much appreciated.
    Scott

macroman
    macroman  1115312 forum posts England
    24 Feb 2009 - 10:14 PM

I always add the border after resizing for Epz (allowing for the border dims) as the border sometimes seems to degrade if you do it beforehand.

Last Modified By macroman at 24 Feb 2009 - 10:15 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.