Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Free PDF creator

arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
25 Aug 2013 12:36PM
Any recommendations for a free PDF creator?
I need to create an image preview format that does not allow the viewer to access or edit the individual images.
I'm assuming a PDF document would be best for this, but I'm open to any alternatives.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown 6 6.4k 241 England
25 Aug 2013 12:48PM
I don't think there's such a thing as a format that will prevent people from editing yor images.
You can open a PDF in Photoshop and do what you like with it.
Also, screenshots can be saved as any format and edited using whatever takes your fancy.
arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
25 Aug 2013 2:29PM
Okay, I am aware that if an individual really wants to access images, the examples you give are quite possible.

Let's start again,
Any recommendations for a free PDF creator?
AlanJ e2
1 426 England
25 Aug 2013 2:41PM
CutePDF
I use the professional (paid for) version in the office but the free version I use at home and is simple to use.

http://www.cutepdf.com/
arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
25 Aug 2013 3:06PM
Thanks Alan.
cats_123 e2
10 4.0k 25 Northern Ireland
25 Aug 2013 3:40PM
Not necessarily for images but this is a useful tool for creating pdfs of websites

Web2 pdf
25 Aug 2013 4:06PM
Pdf. converters instal themselves as virtual printers which means that anything you can print from your computer can be simply converted to Pdf using any of the freebies.
It's such a basic task that I'm not sure that any one of them is better than another.
arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
25 Aug 2013 9:35PM
Thanks Jeff and Bren.
25 Aug 2013 10:18PM

Quote:I don't think there's such a thing as a format that will prevent people from editing yor images.
You can open a PDF in Photoshop and do what you like with it.
Also, screenshots can be saved as any format and edited using whatever takes your fancy.

I can create PDFs that you can't edit in Photoshop, but then I use Adobe Acrobat Pro, which isn't free (not even close to free).

The crux of the question is really more about what software are the recipient users likely to have access to, so therefore the question gives rise to another question. Who are the recipients?

I'm re-reading Plato's 'The Republic'. It inspires the application of logic Smile
arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
31 Aug 2013 1:30PM
The recipients are wide ranging, and not specifically relevant.
The software/media that the recipients will be using to access images is important, as it is wide-ranging,
and anything from a smart phone to desktop PC, and everything in between!

So, what does that leave me with in terms of viewing options?
Does adobe make pdf software for smart phones?
31 Aug 2013 1:50PM

Quote:Does adobe make pdf software for smart phones?

Yep!
I've got Adobe reader on my S2.
arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
31 Aug 2013 3:54PM
Okay, so having worked out how to put together an image based pdf in photoshop,
it should be accessible accross most platforms.
If the weasels want to mess with the pdf, let them, but it should deter the vast majority.
conrad 10 10.9k 116
1 Sep 2013 1:54PM

Quote:If the weasels want to mess with the pdf, let them, but it should deter the vast majority.

Probably will, but there are bound to be people who know that there are not only free pdf creators, but also free pdf editors...
23 Oct 2013 10:08PM
Sorry to come back to an old topic (and probably generate a couple of email alerts) but going back to logic, if the recipients are wide-ranging and they have access to a wide range of software, what proportion of the recipients are likely to have access to software that can edit the pdf (as you call them, weasels) and, of those, how many are likely to have either the inclination or the need? I see that you've already pretty much said this, arhb, but you can't f**k with logic Smile
arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
23 Oct 2013 10:33PM
This query arose after one of my clients published an unedited image online, after I had given instructions not to.
After a shoot, I normally use dropbox to share images with clients, so they can choose the images they want to have edited/retouched.

So, to minimise the risk of a client having access to individual images, I want to create a pdf document that displays the images allowing them to choose, but that doesn't allow them to access individual images.
It would appear the adobe pdf docs are accesible on more platforms than anything else I've found.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.