Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Free three year warranty

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Ian Pratt
Ian Pratt  1275 forum posts
14 Apr 2010 - 9:09 PM

I recently bought a Panasonic FZ38 online from a UK supplier who added a free three year warranty. I presumed as with every other camera warranty I have had that this covered accidental damage. It seems it may not. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
As I am a lawyer perhaps all is not lost!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Apr 2010 - 9:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bppowell
bppowell  122125 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2010 - 9:46 PM

I have had a few cameras with extended warranty but none of them have covered accidental damage. I have had these cameras from Digital Depot and Warehouse Express.

I had an Olympus E510 that I dropped fixed free of charge by Olympus. but they did not have to.

I do have them covered for accidental damage under personal property of my household insurance but this is subject to a 50 excess.

Barry

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93488 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
14 Apr 2010 - 10:48 PM

I wouldn't expect accidental damage to be covered under warranty.

...like Barry says, you get that under your household policy.

....Mike

Last Modified By MikeRC at 14 Apr 2010 - 10:48 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2010 - 11:10 PM

If you want accidental damage cover you need to arrange that seperately, Though in many cases its covered by your house contents insurance, Need to check small print of your proposal paperwork.

Extended warranties are normaly just an extension of the makers warranty, Should the item fail due to a faulty part, Or some other makers own problem.....Not you dropping it into the sea, Or running over it with your car.....Wink

Your a Lawyer and you don't know.......Sheeeesh....Sad

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93488 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
15 Apr 2010 - 7:24 AM

Quote: Your a Lawyer and you don't know.......Sheeeesh..

..what can you say ? .... "sheeesh" is about the kindest.

Ian Pratt
15 Apr 2010 - 8:33 AM

Whatever you say I have claimed before for accidental damage under a 7 year warranty without problems and I am aware of the all risks section of my household policy. The problem is that the adverts on the internet just say "free 3 year warranty" and there is not opportunity to inspect the small print relating to the warranty.
Every warranty depends on its exact wording so my question was not quite as stupid as you may think.
Having been in legal practice successfully for over 30 years perhaps I do know some law!!!Grin

contemporary dave

Be cautious about companies adding a 3 year warranty for free. It may be an indication that the camera may be a grey import.

I recently found a UK based company (Can't remember who) selling 5DMKII's at rock bottom prices with a 3 year warranty. It turned out that the cameras were grey imports.
It may also mean that you have to pay for the repairs and then claim the money back from an insurance company.

Last Modified By contemporary dave at 15 Apr 2010 - 3:19 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
KathyW
KathyW  101793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2010 - 3:50 PM

Quote: Whatever you say I have claimed before for accidental damage under a 7 year warranty without problems and I am aware of the all risks section of my household policy. The problem is that the adverts on the internet just say "free 3 year warranty" and there is not opportunity to inspect the small print relating to the warranty.
Every warranty depends on its exact wording so my question was not quite as stupid as you may think.
Having been in legal practice successfully for over 30 years perhaps I do know some law!!!Grin

Which camera manufacturers cover accidental damage in their product warranties? Or are we talking insurance policies? I'd like to think that if I dropped my new camera I could just claim a replacement from the manufacturer...

lawbert
lawbert  71696 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2010 - 4:26 PM

Quote: I recently bought a Panasonic FZ38 online from a UK supplier who added a free three year warranty.

Who is this UK supplier?

I have just had a quick search through most of the UK Camera Shops and cant and never have found one with a free 3 year warranty of any type unless provided by the manufacturer (Nikon-specific cameras, Canon-specific Cameras)

Was it an Ebay Jobby?

Ian Pratt
15 Apr 2010 - 4:41 PM

It was ukcamerastore who are based in the Midlands www.ukcamerastore.co.uk
Don't think they are grey imports.

lawbert
15 Apr 2010 - 5:07 PM

They May be based in the Midlands but thier head office is in Leighton Buzzard.

Very Strange for a Family company.

To Me they are quite certainly grey Imports,

The site looks dreadfully composed with many clicks needed to get a contact address and A phone number.

But to be fair to the company the details are in there if you look hard enough.

To be honest you could have got a UK supplied stock for exactly the same money.

If it was accidental damage that was caused to the camera then you could make yourself a name as a lawyer by getting a repair or replacement and totally redefine the UK trading laws. Grin

Ian Pratt
15 Apr 2010 - 6:40 PM

I presumed it was UK stock rather than grey import otherwise I would have bought on E-Bay.
How can one be sure of the provenance of the item?

lawbert
15 Apr 2010 - 6:56 PM

Quote: I presumed it was UK stock rather than grey import otherwise I would have bought on E-Bay.
How can one be sure of the provenance of the item?

Phone Panasonic and quote the serial number on the afore mentioned item.....

Common sense in essence Wink

steve_p
steve_p  81094 forum posts England
16 Apr 2010 - 7:58 PM

The only extended warranties which include accidental damage are usually those offered retailers such as Jessops- arranged through Domestic & General insurance for example.These come at cost though.
Having said that I bought a Sony LCD Tv a couple of years ago and was given this type of warranty free of charge!

The D&G warranties are normally settled direct so you dont have to pay for the repair first.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62437 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
17 Apr 2010 - 9:10 PM

Claims of being a lawyer aside a quick look in a dictionary to see what the word "warranty" means removes all room for doubt.
A manufacturers warranty is clearly only concerned with the manufacturers specification. So, as any lawyer knows, is sales of goods act legislation etc. There might be a valid claim in some very different circumstances - such as a camera described as splash proof that turned out not to be splash proof.
As a lawyer you will likely know under the distance selling regulations you can reject goods for any reason within approximately 10 days - including not being happy with the terms of a warranty.
As a lawyer you should be familiar with far more complex documents than an insurance policy. Either your warranty covers external accidental damage - or it does not.
If you want to e-mail me private with the policy details I will tell you what it covers - subject to a donation to an agreed charity equal to your normal hourly charge Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.