Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Free web sites

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Focus_Man
    Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Dec 2012 - 12:29 PM

Hi all
    My free website at frank-irwin.site.nation2.com has vanished overnight. I have asked why, by email and am waiting for an answer - if one ever comes.

Is anybody able to recommend a decent free web site on which lots of photographs and other details can be shown?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Dec 2012 - 12:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson
    GarethRobinson e2 Member 8979 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Dec 2012 - 12:55 PM

weebly.com

Ewanneil
    Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Dec 2012 - 1:57 PM

+1 for Weebly. I use it for my site. It's pretty easy to use and fairly adaptable so it is possible to use a template but make it your own. I'm not sure if I can post details of my site here but you can access it via my PF if you want to see what it looks like.

ikett
    ikett  3340 forum posts England
    6 Dec 2012 - 2:13 PM

I've been told about 50webs.com, free basic hosting if you own your own domain name.

The guy that told me about them swore by them, mail forwarding was excellent, and help even on the free package was pretty good.

His domain name has expired so I can't point to an example.

Still costs nothing to look!

Focus_Man
    6 Dec 2012 - 5:40 PM

Thanks guys, much appreciated I still haven't had an answer from the host as to how my site vanished overnight.

colijohn
    colijohn  237 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Dec 2012 - 7:09 PM

Probabley these easyist free website builder is Wix. It is 100% free with very little limitations. You can also choose between a flash site or a HTML 5 site.

Cheers

Colin

AlexandraSD
    6 Dec 2012 - 11:27 PM

moonfruit.com its where i base all my websites, it is flash but now making the change over to HTML5, which should be complete by feb 2013.

The service you get there is worth mentioning, it is incredible, those guys are so helpful, and all members are treated equally, those with free accounts and those with paid hosting.

Free accounts are all well and good but nothing beats having your own .co.uk address, and with hosting and web domains so cheap now, its crazy not to get paid up to get all the extra benefits, like more bandwidth, more features, a proper webmail account to match your web address, i think you can get basic paid hosting from moonfruit for only 4 per month, paid monthly if you wish, or yearly.

I cannot praise moonfruit enough, their web building interface is so easy to use, the templates are fantastic but can all be altered to suit individual taste. You can potentially change your sites look and layout entirely within a few minutes, once you get familiar with the way it works it seems the most simple thing in the world. Moonfruit Rock!

Focus_Man
    7 Dec 2012 - 8:46 AM

Quote: Free accounts are all well and good but nothing beats having your own .co.uk address, and with hosting and web domains so cheap now, its crazy not to get paid up to get all the extra benefits, like more bandwidth, more features, a proper webmail account to match your web address, i think you can get basic paid hosting from moonfruit for only 4 per month, paid monthly if you wish, or yearly.

I am sure you are right but at 72, I just indulge myself with a web site - I don't need one, it is just nice to have one. That is why I use a free site. Incidentally, I still have not had the courtesy of an answer from Nation2.com as to where and why my web site vanished. It certainly was not a trial period, but perhaps not upgrading to a paid one has upset them.

Thanks anyway Alex

Last Modified By Focus_Man at 7 Dec 2012 - 8:47 AM
    AlexandraSD
    7 Dec 2012 - 8:25 PM

No problem, i now see your needs are much different to my own, and i do hope you hear from them soon, i had a free account with 110mb.com my site vanished for weeks due to a DOS attack on the main servers, then i was unable to login to update for months and months, the site is still online and i am unable to remove it despite numerous requests to the host, i certainly would not recommend those charlatans to anyone steer well clear Smile

Focus_Man
    8 Dec 2012 - 11:41 AM

Quote: No problem, i now see your needs are much different to my own, and i do hope you hear from them soon, i had a free account with 110mb.com my site vanished for weeks due to a DOS attack on the main servers, then i was unable to login to update for months and months, the site is still online and i am unable to remove it despite numerous requests to the host, i certainly would not recommend those charlatans to anyone steer well clear Smile

Thanks for that I have just set one up at weebly.com I will see how that goes. The problem is that friends and a few others get to know your site and visit occasionally, filling in the guest book (The only way I can tell). When the site goes missing you have to advise people and I bought some cards from Vistaprint showing "Frank Irwin (Retired)" and email and other details, now I have about 400 cards that are useless.

AlexandraSD
    8 Dec 2012 - 12:20 PM

re; visitor tracking, there is http://www.tracemyip.org/ which allows realtime analysis of visitors to your site, i actually preferred this interface to googles analytics, but i now just use Googles Webmaster Tools and Google analytics, the webmaster tools allow google to easily crawl and index your site, and you can submit sitemaps there, which are often auto generated by the host, a typical sitemap is www.thegirlwithin.co.uk/sitemap.xml the sitemap.xml is not a typical webpage, its specifically for search robots. All this really does is keep your site up to date on the web, any new published content should be indexed within days usually. Google analytics is the place where all your web visitor stats are kept, and is pretty good really.

Though these may not even be needed, i only use them because im nosey and want to make the site as visitable, as well as visible, as i can. There is a bit of coding involved but its nothign major, just copying and pasting meta tags and HTML snippets, and only a couple at that, but its not something everyone needs but it is nice to see what parts of a site are popular and what are not, as well as where your visitors come from, what country, what site, what search engine, what keywords they used etc.

Focus_Man
    8 Dec 2012 - 1:20 PM

Quote: Re; visitor tracking, there is http://www.tracemyip.org/ which allows realtime analysis of visitors to your site, i actually preferred this interface to googles analytics, but i now just use Googles Webmaster Tools and Google analytics, the webmaster tools allow google to easily crawl and index your site, and you can submit sitemaps there, which are often auto generated by the host, a typical sitemap is www.thegirlwithin.co.uk/sitemap.xml the sitemap.xml is not a typical webpage, its specifically for search robots. All this really does is keep your site up to date on the web, any new published content should be indexed within days usually. Google analytics is the place where all your web visitor stats are kept, and is pretty good really.

Though these may not even be needed, i only use them because im nosey and want to make the site as visitable, as well as visible, as i can. There is a bit of coding involved but its nothign major, just copying and pasting meta tags and HTML snippets, and only a couple at that, but its not something everyone needs but it is nice to see what parts of a site are popular and what are not, as well as where your visitors come from, what country, what site, what search engine, what keywords they used etc.

Blimey Alex, all that terminology has lost me. I will try your links out though and see what I can glean. Thank you very much for finding the time to provide assistance.

AlexandraSD
    8 Dec 2012 - 11:04 PM

Quote: Blimey Alex, all that terminology has lost me. I will try your links out though and see what I can glean. Thank you very much for finding the time to provide assistance.

Your very welcome, sorry for the terminology however, i found it all a bit of a headache when i first came to web development and search engine optimisation, but one you get into the swing its pretty simple really, just need patience and sheer bloody mindedness Grin

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.