Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Freebie's

dynexclick 9 19 1 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2007 12:01AM
Hi Guys and Dolls

What are your thoughts on people asking for freebies?

I turned up on spec to a rock gig and did some pix of the band for my hobbie and got asked to send them some on a disk. Personaly I have no problems letting them have a couple of pix for their website. As to further images I said there would be a charge to which the witty reply was, "we normally charge for people to photograph the band".

Just as an ammateur, over the years I have been asked by many people for freebies and I've become very reluctant to speculate to accumulate. Experience has taught me people who want something for nothing, will carry on wanting it for nothing.

Please post your comments.

Many thanks
Stu

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
2 Sep 2007 12:19AM

Quote:"we normally charge for people to photograph the band".

Are they having a laugh............Sad

They pay just like anybody else, In fact they pay twice as much if they are smart arses.....Smile

If I where you I would only allow them one or two, Very very small demo files, Just as a taster, And thats all.

Anymore or full size files, Should be paid for up front, But do make sure you get some form of Model/Property release signed.....Smile
2 Sep 2007 12:39AM
I've done stuff for mates bands before. Most musicians can afford the odd 1000 for an amp or guitar and money for recreational drugs, but fotos you can forget it lol.
tepot 10 4.4k United Kingdom
2 Sep 2007 2:08AM
after that 'witty reply' i'd tell them to go look elsewhere!
PSILVERMAN e2
10 1.3k England
2 Sep 2007 6:40AM
Or you could have said,"would you play for nothing"?
Cristian e2
10 950 1
2 Sep 2007 10:11AM

Quote:"we normally charge for people to photograph the band".

These guys have obviously got there heads stuck up their own *****(where the sun don't shine)!

I can't imagine even the Beatles asking to be paid for photos. Send them a small sample (with copyright all across it) and if they want more then make sure you add an extra nought to the end of your pricing. If they don't want them then move on, if by any slim chance (which I doubt) they become famous, then make sure you keep the images that you've got already Smile
cathal e2
10 492 4 Ireland
2 Sep 2007 11:45AM
Giving photographs with commercial value away for free, is a very bad idea. It drives down the value of what we do. You might not be a professional, but giving freebies away takes bread and butter away from professionals. One day you might be, and how can you expect to receive a payment if somebody else will do it for free?

Why do we do this and allow it to happen? Becasue we don't value what we do sufficently to charge. Something given away free is deemed to be of low or no commercial value.
2 Sep 2007 11:57AM

Quote:

Why do we do this and allow it to happen? Becasue we don't value what we do sufficently to charge. Something given away free is deemed to be of low or no commercial value.

I'm enclined to agree. As a hobbie or a business photography is expensive and even the most kitted out of photographers hasn't go the money to pay for their gear on a plate. Personally I would rather not cheapen myself. If they where personal mates, i'de do it for free because the favour would be returned. But not in cases like this.
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
2 Sep 2007 12:06PM
You ought to say to them that you're quite happy taking photographs free of charge and purely for pleasure as it's something you very much enjoy, however after having to endure the atrocious racket their band was making for several hours you feel you must make a charge for any subsequent photos, purely as recompense for the immense discomfort your ears were subjected too and the painful and harrowing experience of attening one of their gigs Smile

But being serious, I'd tell them to take a running jump having heard such a pompous remark as '"we normally charge for people to photograph the band".
culturedcanvas e2
9 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2007 12:11PM
I would have two words for them ...... Wink
4 Sep 2007 7:38PM
I often used to allow bands to use my images for free, (and still do) it got me publicity and gave a a portfolio of images I used to get other work ... even now I shoot bands for free !!!

On a freelance basis, I turn up take a few shots and see of I sell then ... if I dont I keep them on file and send them to my agent.

About 4 years ago in one day I shot 3 unknown bands ... and now the images of Razorlight, Kasabien and the Kaiser Chiefs still earn me money ... when the lead singer of The Towers of London went into Big Brother my live shots of him did rather well ... the most recent shots of Ross Copperman, Amy McDonald and Newton Faulkner have just started to earn for me ... next big thing ... a band called "One Night Only" ... lots of shots of them done for free and they have just signed a 1.2m record deal.

Just remember one thing .... they are your images, you do what the flying fig you want to do with them

DTL

PS ... about 15 years ago I was aked to do a freebie shoot for a band at a local venue ... as I had never heard of them I said no .... wonder what ever happend to Oasis .... lesson learnt!!!
Sep e2
7 1.3k England
5 Sep 2007 6:46AM
When i was new in Germany,a mate asked me to go to an open air punk gig and take shots of his band.I thought great,why not.
After finnishing up,i proceeded to get drunk.An older guy approached me and asked if i could do a couple of group shots of his band aswell.I said yeah sure,then got well drunk and forgot.
It turns out that his band was one of the biggest, oldest and most famous german punk bands on the go.
Lesson learnt.
BEVZED e2
8 1.1k United Kingdom
5 Sep 2007 8:34AM

Quote:But being serious, I'd tell them to take a running jump having heard such a pompous remark as '"we normally charge for people to photograph the band".

Quote:I would have two words for them

When you want to put it politely it is four words :- 'go forth and multiply'
Lol, can't do you for being 'abusive'!!!!!!!!!!
Always try to charge something. If you don't, it sets a precident and it can (and has) cause damage to other photographers in the industry - and you if you choose to go pro at a later date.

People will then take advantage of your talents with the promise that if you do the work for free for them, you'll "get loads of publicity/exposure". Yeah right - sure you will. In reality, whilst you offer your talents for free, they use your pics for commercial gain. That is unfair and unreasonable.

Even if you just cover your costs, people have to be educated that they must pay for your skill and expertise. People pay to use the services of other skillsets, photographers are no different. We are not a charity.

As for the band's comments, tell them to go to hell.
samfurlong e2
8 2.5k United Kingdom
5 Sep 2007 8:25PM

Quote:over the years I have been asked by many people for freebies and I've become very reluctant to speculate to accumulate. Experience has taught me people who want something for nothing, will carry on wanting it for nothing

Sounds to me like you are one of the very few photographers who has his head screwed on the right way!! Well done!

Quote:which the witty reply was, "we normally charge for people to photograph the band".

To which my 'witty' reply would have been two words, the second on being 'off'!
Although I don't speciaize in music photography I have shot some decent names, U2, Oasis, Sting being probably among the best known and even they don't try and charge to have their pics taken.

Daves experiences are very interesting and I have to admit I am surprised (and pleased) that it has worked out as well for him as it has although I would never follow in his footsteps.
For a very basic commercial shoot my starting rate is 250 + expenses and and it goes up rapidly if there is anything fancy needing doing or any more than a couple of hours (including post processing time) needed on it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.