Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Freesat

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315631 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Apr 2012 - 10:45 PM

Thought I`d give free sat ago and picked up a box today.

Scanned for channels but find I`m missing a few, I`m using my old sky dish.

What satellite should I be set to, just in case I picked the wrong one Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Apr 2012 - 10:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315605 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Apr 2012 - 10:55 PM

Freesat doesn't have all the same channels as Freeview, so expect to miss a few. You use the same satellite as Sky, so simply connecting the cables should be enough, no need to move the dish.

Big Bri
13 Apr 2012 - 10:57 PM

Quote: The service makes use of the same fleet of satellites as the popular subscription satellite service Sky: Astra and Eutelsat 28A. This means that any satellite dish which is positioned to receive these services will be capable of receiving Freesat, with the addition of a suitable receiver (or Television with receiver built in). Providing the LNB (Low noise block-downconverter) has sufficient outputs, the one dish will be able to receive multiple services (i.e. Sky and Freesat).
For users who do not currently have a satellite dish, Freesat offers an installation service which is made available through retailers and which is advertised in a leaflet included with Freesat receivers. It is also possible to buy a satellite dish and install it yourself.

I have a quad LNB, but only two are connected - I dumped my Sky box and just use a Humax Foxsat

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315631 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Apr 2012 - 11:02 PM

Thanks, just checked and it looks like I`ve connected to the right satellite, but channel five is still missing along with the various Iplayer channels, there listed here.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/what-you-get/our-channels

Lol think I`ll cancel my sky package, why pay extra for HD channels when the included at no extra on freesat.

Big Bri
13 Apr 2012 - 11:06 PM

For iPlayer, you will need an internet connection to your freesat box.

Paul Morgan
13 Apr 2012 - 11:08 PM

Lol that`s a good point Smile

Still can`t find channel five Sad

Snapper
Snapper  93771 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
13 Apr 2012 - 11:23 PM

Quote:
Still can`t find channel five Sad

More to the point, when you find something worth watching on Channel 5 you can let us all know! And just don't even bother with Freesat's (ahem) Movies for Men as I think you'll possibly be disappointed. Sad Wink

Last Modified By Snapper at 13 Apr 2012 - 11:23 PM
rambler
rambler e2 Member 6477 forum postsrambler vcard England14 Constructive Critique Points
13 Apr 2012 - 11:23 PM

Thanks for the info chaps I will be changing over when I move.

Ken.

dougv
dougv Site Moderator 108378 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2012 - 12:34 AM

Channel 5 should be on 105
Channel 5+1 on 128
5 USA on 129
5 USA+1 on 130
5* on 131
5*+1 on 132

Try giving it another tune and see what happens.

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2012 - 12:41 AM

The only problem I have experienced with Freesat was when the BBC changed its HD channel encoding. In order to get my box to find it I had to out some of the key facts such as polarisation an suddenly it could auto tune it.

Apart from that its good and I get a better picture than through Freeview, though you do miss out on a couple of channels like Dave.

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2012 - 7:34 AM

With a Humax box you also get ITV Player (in addition to BBC iPlayer). Channel 5 is in there. It could be that your dish needs a bit of fine re-alignment then re-tuning. We live in a really exposed and windy spot and I have had to re-align my dish umpteen times to retrieve channels lost after a storm. The CBS channels and Channel 5 and its derivatives are always the first to go.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2012 - 11:03 AM

That reminds me, I must get a network extender so I can plug our Humax into the t'internet and use iPlayer.

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2012 - 11:22 AM

I meant to say that the other thing to try on a Humax boxis is the following:-

Press :- Menu :-: Settings :-: STB Mode:-: Change Freesat to Non-Freesat.

That way you get access to all the other Channels on that satellite. There are 100s (but lots of duplicates) and they are all mixed up so would mean you having to manually re-arrange them. It would be worth seeing if you can get Channel 5 that way.

Snapper
Snapper  93771 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2012 - 11:28 AM

The one other thing that springs to mind is that the channels you get are linked to the postcode you put into the box before it tunes itself. I wouldn't have thought this was the problem unless you are maybe in an area that hasn't fully switched to digital yet?

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2012 - 11:34 AM

Quote: More to the point, when you find something worth watching on Channel 5 you can let us all know!

CSI! Love it.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.