Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Freesat

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2012 - 11:36 AM

Quote: The one other thing that springs to mind is that the channels you get are linked to the postcode you put into the box before it tunes itself. I wouldn't have thought this was the problem unless you are maybe in an area that hasn't fully switched to digital yet?

The postcode is for regional variations, like the news programs. It won't effect channel 5 and if you really wanted to you could select all the regional channels from the menu.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Apr 2012 - 11:36 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315324 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2012 - 10:30 PM

I should be getting 5 and there`s a fair few others I should be getting, dish is fine.

Maybe the girl in the shop typed the wrong post code, maybe there`s some upgrade the box needs, I really don`t know.

I`ll give there customer care a ring in the week.

dougv
dougv Site Moderator 108376 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2012 - 11:23 PM

As Ian said in his post, the only thing the post code does is to make sure you get the regional programs for your area.

The only thing I could think is that if the dish is slightly out of alignment it may not be getting a strong enough signal from one or two of the satellite transponders which is why you are missing some channels.
I used to get a total loss of signal on some channels if it rained until I upgraded to a 60cm dish.
All channels are rock solid here now even in the heaviest of rain storms.

Last Modified By dougv at 14 Apr 2012 - 11:24 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315324 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2012 - 12:42 AM

The channels are all the using my old sky box

Paul Morgan
15 Apr 2012 - 9:52 PM

I should have said that all the channels are there using the sky box.

Think I`ve worked out the problem, box needs a software/firmware update.

Paul Morgan
5 May 2012 - 6:18 PM

Turned out the box was FTA and not Freesat, took it back for a refund then got myself one of those Humax freesat boxes, confusion over SmileSmile

Then I got chatting to someone who fits sky dishes who gave my a tip, these kits sold by Amazon are the exact same as fitted by Sky.

Ordered the 60cm quad kit(the larger dishes are not needed down south)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Satgear-Sky-Freesat-Satellite-Exclusive/dp/B00282BPYS/re...

Put it up last night,getting the right elevation angle, azimuth bearing and setting the right LMB skew and signal lock was a peice of cake, a lot easier than I had expected.

sky.jpg

My old dish would have needed moving at some point and it would have needed a new LMB having just an old single input so it made sense.

MrGoatsmilk
5 May 2012 - 7:04 PM

We changed ours to a quad recently, 7 for the quad LNB fitted on the old dish and worked straight away which I found very unusual Smile

Paul Morgan
5 May 2012 - 7:50 PM

Yes I`d looked at replacing just the LNB on the old dish, I`d seen quads for as little as 6 or 7 but then decided to move everything, so updated the whole lot.

Quote: and worked straight away which I found very unusual

Yes your not moving the dish, changing the LMB should not effect anything unless your clumsy.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 5 May 2012 - 7:57 PM
MrGoatsmilk
5 May 2012 - 8:43 PM

Not just that but it fitted, the cable went in the LNB first time, I drilled through the wall and pushed the cable through without it trying to go off between the bricks and curve off on its own, that is most unusual. I thought at least I would need to run a rod through and tape the cable to drag it through.

Paul Morgan
6 May 2012 - 12:41 AM

I had that as well, well with the first run Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.