Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Friendly advice wanted from cat owners please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

newfocus
newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2009 - 2:11 PM

I've got a perpetual problem in my garden in that my next door neighbour's cat likes killing anything that moves and ripping it apart, usually leaving it strewn around by my kids' play house (see here for an example).

I just went out thinking it'd be good to make snowmen with the kids to find a mess of blood, feathers and 'bits of bird' being dragged around by the cat, leaving a trail through the snow.

Now I don't want to harm this animal in any way and neither do I want to start some kind of cold war of hate with my neighbour but it would be good to get my own garden back for relaxing in by myself and the kids, and recover a little of the wildlife that used to exist there but is now totally absent.

So - what advice do people have for keeping cats out? I've so far tried asking the neighbour concerned for advice (they took it in good spirit but haven't actually helped). I've spend a lot of money on various 'deterrents' and tried regular patrols but nothing seems to work.

Just wanting my own garden back...

Last Modified By newfocus at 24 Dec 2009 - 2:16 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Dec 2009 - 2:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2009 - 2:20 PM

I found the local cats did not like the smell of mothballs. But if you have young kids they might not be good as they look like peppermints.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012609 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2009 - 2:22 PM

lion poo

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 24 Dec 2009 - 2:24 PM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2009 - 2:26 PM

Tips here, not sure which one works though

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012609 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2009 - 2:29 PM

lol at no. 7 Wink

newfocus
newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2009 - 2:51 PM

Yes, 7's one of the few I haven't already tried. Good list though - there are some more on it which are new to me.

I'm sure every cat's different but my feedback on the ones I've tried so far is...

2. Didn't work
3,10,12,16,17,26 (various smells). Seem to work briefly but are then ignored unless changed/refreshed daily. Some success but I have a life and it becomes a continual job. The most successful were old unwanted deodorants, and leeks or onions Smile
5. No noticeable effect
6. Works but impractical over a large area or with small kids.
9. Works to shift the cat from the garden but it usually returns just a few minutes later
13. Er, I think that's missing the point
15. Less noticeable effect than leeks or deodorant. The one I got was harmful to aquatic life and I have a pond (not that it has any wildlife left in it any more).
20. Works in small areas but impractical over whole garden or around play house.
21,22. I didn't specifically ask that when talking to neighbours so I'll give that a go.
23. Works in small areas.
24. Yes - has an effect if you can keep the lawn really short. Not a complete solution, and time consuming, but helps.
27. Had no noticeable effect.
30. Worked to an extent but not entirely and was audible to my kids (they say it gives them a headache).

There's a good list left to go at though - hopefully something out of the rest will work. After that, maybe I need to investigate keeping some kind of large bird of prey Wink

cheers,
John

Last Modified By newfocus at 24 Dec 2009 - 2:53 PM
cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2009 - 2:56 PM

The very best deterant I know of is having your very own " Cat " ..Smile

If the surrounding neighbourhood cats have been used to a spare garden, Many will have decided that its thier patch....Sad

However if you have your own, Especially if its a " Half Tame Ferral " type male, Believe me it will not take long before no other cat will dare to enter your garden.....Smile

I have seen this in action with several cats I have had over the years, One was a big old ginger tom, He had a real bad attitude, He loved nothing better than shredding invading cats, Some needed vetenary treatment after they crossed him.....!

Another one was a " Burmese " male, He was on a par with the big old ginger tom, But at a glance did not look that hard....Smile However if you where another cat invading his garden.......WOW....He suddenly took on a whole different look, Scared the pants off me too.....Sad

Oh! And if you have ( as I did a few years back ) a problem with " Latch Key " dog packs, Who find thier way into your garden, Let me recommend the " Burmese " male, Who on countless occasions chased these roaming dog packs, Not just from our garden, But clean out of the close we lived in.....Smile

Boy was he one mean Cat....Wink

Okay! So lets assume your not a fan of pussies, And you don't fancy owning one of your very own ( You don't know what your missing " Inane Phsyco kinda laugh Smile ) ...........

How about an " Electric fence " the sort they sell for keeping sheep within a strip grazed area on a meadow.....Smile You can get small battery powered jobbies, That are not that expensive, And will not kill anything........Smile

Most good farming supplies, Usually have a range of electric fence units, Going from mild shock to instant death.....Sad

Choice is yours, Battery ones are good, But you can get mains ones, If your feeling a tad peeved.....Smile

So there you are the two best solutions I can think of apart from the " Dawg " option....Wink

Mery Christmas and a Happy New Year......!

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95933 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2009 - 3:15 PM

How about a powerful water pistol.
Won't harm the cat but it is something they dislike intensely.

Cats will invarioubly stay clear of an area where they think they will come to harm.

I know you will have to keep it at hand, but everytime you see the cat, give it a quick blast and see what happens

Adrian

cameracat
24 Dec 2009 - 3:24 PM

Quote: How about a powerful water pistol.

Thats a good idea too, Its also bags of fun.....Smile

And thats coming from someone who is a self confessed cat addict.

Wink

gary_d
gary_d e2 Member 6549 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales13 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2009 - 3:32 PM

A Jack russle would keep cats out if mine is anything to go by, loves children hates cats.

gary

Daffy1
Daffy1  6337 forum posts Ireland
24 Dec 2009 - 3:43 PM

Cats or what I like to call "Furry Rats" ,get 2 Jack Russles and get rid of them !! Damian

Kris_Dutson
24 Dec 2009 - 5:18 PM

A paintball gun does the trick.

And before anyone gets on their high horse it doesn't hurt them. They were, after all, invented for marking sheep. Smile

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2009 - 5:30 PM

Plant catnip in your neighbour's garden! Wink

The cold water spray is probably the best deterrent - when you can catch him in your garden.

If you catch him again in the snow then snow ball him.

(If you neighbour had him 'snow-balled' he probably wouldn't be so aggressive! Wink )
jas

cameracat
24 Dec 2009 - 7:38 PM

Quote: what I like to call "Furry Rats"

Do you know of a breed of Rat, That has no fur, Then.....?

Apart from the human variety...Wink

Quote: A paintball gun does the trick.

LOL....Sounds like a fun way too.....Smile

Last Modified By cameracat at 24 Dec 2009 - 7:40 PM
Kris_Dutson
24 Dec 2009 - 7:41 PM

Mole Rats are hairless. Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.