Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

From amateur to semi-pro Canon user...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    StephenBrighton

My personal circumstances have changed a lot over the past year, meaning that now I have a lot more say about how I experience life and what I do or do not do with my money.

One of the things that I would like to do for me is to step up my camera equipment from my entry level Canon 400D body to a more flexible and "professional" camera. Before you ask, I have one professional L series lens (75-200mm) which already has significantly improved image quality.

If money were no object which Canon DSLR would you suggest as a significant working improvement to my trusty 400D?

Thanks

Stephen

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    4 Apr 2008 - 8:27 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

richard00
    richard00  7504 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Apr 2008 - 8:39 PM

1D or 1DS from Canon - if money is no object you buy the best.
    If money is an object, then 40D offers a good jump [fps], 5D gives full frame and better quality plus a few extra pixels. Depends on what you want to shoot, more L lens be a wise choice too

MarkE70
    MarkE70  7199 forum posts
    4 Apr 2008 - 8:43 PM

Depends on how much your willing to spend really Stephen. I have just bought a canon 40D from warehouse express (619 + 100 cashback).
    I absolutely love it and would highly recommend this camera as a step up from the 400D.
    It also gets great reviews from people who use it on this site. Another option is the superb 1D mk3, but this is 2500 (I'll maybe wait a couple of years before I get one!).
    Good luck with your hunting for a new camera,
    Mark.

Burgy_Tog
    Burgy_Tog  10634 forum posts United Kingdom
    4 Apr 2008 - 9:03 PM

Quote: Before you ask, I have one professional L series lens (75-200mm) which already has significantly improved image quality

You mean a 70-200?

In terms of "working improvement" it depends on what you mean. Most current Digital SLRS are pretty competent. The difference is is small areas. Slightly better AF or slightly more robust build, or slightly more pixels. Real Qualititive iprovements will probably come from better glass and improved technique.

Many users aren't getting the best quality out of the kit that they have, before they upgrade.

elowes
    elowes  102832 forum posts United Kingdom
    4 Apr 2008 - 9:44 PM

Presstog is right. Get some good lenses with a 40D if you can stretch. If not then get the lenses and save for the camera. No matter how good the camera you need good lenses to make the best of it.

The 1D cameras are expensive but very good.

If you really have have cash to spare then a complete change might be an option with the new Nikon (hope I don't go to photographer hell for that comment)

StephenBrighton

Thank you for your tips and suggestions

Need to work out what I can afford, what I want to spend and work out how to fund the difference!

Stephen

riprap007
    riprap007  91568 forum posts England37 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Apr 2008 - 11:48 AM

I would go for the 5D as 1st choice, only 'cos it is a slower cam and you have to be more deliberate with it than say a Mk3 (which is the press tog cam to go for)

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Apr 2008 - 11:50 AM

significant improvement?
    1D MK III.

samfurlong
    5 Apr 2008 - 1:59 PM

From the looks of you pf I'd say a 5D is as high, price wise, as you need to go.
    You don't seem to do much action so a 1D series is a bit pointless for you so it comes down to a 5D or a 40D really. Sure if you're a bit rich buy a 1DsMKIII / 1DMKIII (depending on what you want it for) for the hell of it but I'd say a 5D would keep you very happy.
    However, a 40D and a lens or two would probably be a better buy.

swanseamale47

The 40d is only marginally better pixle wise (the Canon reps I spoke to at focus claimed the 450 was far better quality than the 40d) for any significant improvement you really will need a 5d or better still 1ds 3 I'm afraid. Wayne

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.