Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

From D80 to D700

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Carrera_c
    Carrera_c  5256 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2010 - 9:21 AM

Just upgraded from my D80 to a D700 and have to say that I'm loving it. Only got it a few days ago so I've not went on any shoots with it yet, just been tinkering in the house and seeing what it's capable of. But I'm very impressed. It's my first full frame camera and I can't believe the difference in high ISO performance. I obviously knew it would be better but I couldn't appreciate how much better...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Nov 2010 - 9:21 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2010 - 9:36 AM

LOL.....Smile The D700 is a fabulous camera.....Grin

I have had mine for over 2 years now and it still amazes me every time I use it, The one and only niggle I have is the 95% viewfinder, Takes a while to remember to allow for it, That said I rarely cut any bits out of the scene.....Smile

Apparently Nikon had to reduce the viewfinder by 5% to allow for the sensor cleaning device, Quite honestly I could live without the sensor cleaner, In preference to a 100% viewfinder......But hey ho! Its only a trivial niggle....Smile

There have been a few mumbling about the so called D700 replacement......Well the truth is this, The D700 replacement has got a serious act to follow, Its going to have to be something very very special indeed, For my own part and two years with this camera, I have no plans or wish to upgrade it anytime soon, Maybe in another 2 or even 3 years perhaps, But by then the frame count will be over 150,000 anyway......!!!

Enjoy your new D700.

Wink

EDIT: One small tip, Although this camera works fine with average lens models, When you can " Treat " it to some classy optics like the Brilliant Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8, Then be careful because the images you get will be sooooo sharp, You might cut yourself on them.....Smile

Last Modified By cameracat at 8 Nov 2010 - 9:41 AM
    Carrera_c
    8 Nov 2010 - 9:59 AM

I got the camera body only, and I'm just using a fixed 50mm 1.8 on it just now as it's the only full frame lens I already had. I've ordered the Sigma 24-70 F2.8 which will hopefully arrive in a week or so. I couldn't really afford the Nikkor version, and from what I've read after compairing the two on photozone.de, the Sigma version performs pretty damn well.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2010 - 11:07 AM

Quote: Sigma version performs pretty damn well

For sure the latest incarnation of the Sigma is pretty decent.....Smile

But if you check out the reviews on the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8, What you will find is that it actually outperforms or equalls all the " Primes " within its focal range.....Grin

In fact the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 is refered to as a referance lens within its type.....!!!

That said and like most things the reviews get all fired up about, In the real world of day to day photography, Chances are you have to look very hard to see the differences, I got lucky when I bought my Nikkor 24-70mm over 18 months ago, It was afew weeks before the prices all went silly, It now sells for almost 300 quid more than I paid....Smile

When you get your Sigma, Give it a darn good work out, If you have the slightest issue, Get it changed or have the calibration checked straight away......!!!

If you get a good copy, Or get a good copy well sorted, They are a darn good option to the Nikon model.

Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 8 Nov 2010 - 11:09 AM
    Carrera_c
    8 Nov 2010 - 11:45 AM

I have heard that the Sigma 24-70 can have a focusing issue and I intend to scrutinise it very heavy when it arrives. Hopefully I'll be onto a good'n.

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73879 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2010 - 12:21 PM

My Sigma 24-70 is superb on the D700 so relax

miyaguchi
    miyaguchi  4136 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Nov 2010 - 12:46 PM

All this is heartening news as I am pondering whether to upgrade my D80 to a D700 in the next six months - only hope the expected replacement doesn't see the D700 disappear from the shelves too soon.

Carrera_c
    8 Nov 2010 - 1:00 PM

I had been keeping a close eye on all the rumours for the D700 replacement. Nikon have apparently said that there is a new full frame camera being announced next financial year, which means announced in April at the earliest and probably in the shops for Autumn. But that doesn't guarantee that it's going to be the new D700, it may be a new version of the D3. So who knows.

miyaguchi
    8 Nov 2010 - 1:56 PM

Is that the Japanese or UK Financial Year, not being pedantic but having tried out the 700, as well as the performance, the feel, shape and weight of it makes it fits snugly in my great mits just like the D80 does, a sense I don't get with the D90, D300 and, even though it is out of my price range, the D3. If it doesn't feel right...............

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73879 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2010 - 2:02 PM

Quote: sense I don't get with the D90, D300 and, even though it is out of my price range, the D3. If it doesn't feel right...............

... But it's the same body as the D300, bar the pentprism housing !

What I liked about the D700 straight away was it felt identicle to the D300.

Last Modified By Nick_w at 8 Nov 2010 - 2:57 PM
    miyaguchi
    8 Nov 2010 - 7:45 PM

Must be the weight then but there was definitely 'feel' to the D700. The same feel there was when I bought my D80 in favour of D60.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.