Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

From Digital to Film....

Cristian 10 950 1
31 May 2009 6:11PM
It's finally happened, after almost 5 years shooting with a digital slr, I've just bought an old manual film slr.

My son is geting ready for his GCSE's so I bought him a 2nd hand Olympus OM10 and a few lenses. Having had a play with it, I've just bought myself another one, plus 50mm & 28mm lenses. Loaded up the film and on my way. Figured that this would be a useful lesson for both of us to think a little more about each shot and make full use of the manual settings.

Watch out for the uploads....

Cristian

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 11 17.9k 8 Norway
31 May 2009 6:33PM
OM10..???

Great choice. See if you can find a Manual Adaptor for it - for later...

Wink
Cristian 10 950 1
31 May 2009 6:51PM
Yeah - the model I got for my son has the manual adapter fitted. Mine hasn't, but I'm looking out for one of these. Seems very odd that Olympus didn't have these added as standard, but I guess they were aimed for a different level than the OM1...

Cristian
KenTaylor Plus
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
31 May 2009 7:30PM
I shoot nothing but manual with digital as old habits die hard having used film since the last century Smile . It is all about exposure which after some time time can be roughly judged with the eye.
Ken
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
31 May 2009 7:57PM
MMmm So my mint ( With brand new light seals & mirror foam + Shiny new focus screen ) factory black OM10 Quartz, With manual adapter and genuine ever ready case, etc etc......Just might be worth..........!!!

!

!

!

Keeping ..........Smile

LOL....But seriously the OM10 is a great little camera, But it did have one small fault related to the shutters electro/magnetic trigger, If you have any problems, There is an Olympus dealer in " Luton " who can repair it...Aparently it was a faulty component, And a well known problem to Olympus at the time......Sad
Cristian 10 950 1
31 May 2009 8:06PM
Thanks for the shutter tip. These cameras are going for about 20-30 on ebay as everyone now seems to be digital.

Anyway, lets me have a nostalgic flirt with the 80's, without having to buy a TR7 Smile

Cristian
matt5791 11 747 1 United Kingdom
3 Jun 2009 6:37AM
Next thing - get a paterson tank, a changing bag and scanner, and process black and white films for a few pence.

That's where the real fun is!
Cristian 10 950 1
13 Jun 2009 5:56PM
Just added a manual adapter for my OM10, so fully manual now. Film loaded and ready to go....

Planning on running off some colour film, just to see how it goes and then I may get some B&W film and even some infra-red.

I can feel the creative juices flowing already....

Cristian
Professional 8 128 United Arab Emirates
19 Jun 2009 11:37PM
I was thinking of this move as well [digital to film].
Carabosse Plus
12 39.7k 269 England
20 Jun 2009 1:45AM
It may make you think about what you are shooting rather than machine-gunning as many do. That can only be a good thing.

Even though I have shot on digital exclusively for 7 years now, I still tend to treat my cameras as if they have a roll of 36 in them. Smile
Professional 8 128 United Arab Emirates
21 Jun 2009 3:46PM
I shoot everything, so even if i have film then i will shoot some of what i shoot with digital, this question of what you shoot can be helpful for people who shoot one or 2 things, but us who shoot from landscape to sports, and portraits to wildlife can't decide easily and want everything to shoot with.
I treat my digital as film as well, just i don't fire hundreds or thousands to get a shot, i just do all adjustments, measuring and settings and take the shot, many times you don't have time to take many shots to pick one or 2, so do it right first time, and i am advanced now, so i know what to shoot and how to shoot.
jrfoto 8 6 2 United Kingdom
28 Jun 2009 5:55PM
I Have an old Canon F-1 and a couple of lenses. I find it quite instructive to handle from time to time and kind of marvel at how few controls and 'options' it has. You set shutter speed, aperture, focus, shoot - that's it, no modes, no gadgets, nothing. Quite refreshing really. I think it's instructive to get back to basics sometimes, and also (as someone else said) I think the limit of 36 shots on a roll makes you think more about each shot, rather than just popping away with the digital. And... a silver print made from a negative is still very nice!

Quote:Even though I have shot on digital exclusively for 7 years now, I still tend to treat my cameras as if they have a roll of 36 in them.

ID11 doesn't do much for the memory card, though, CB!!! Wink
jas
RogBrown 8 3.0k 10 England
29 Jun 2009 12:21AM

Quote:ID11 doesn't do much for the memory card, though

Nah. D76 much better! Smile
66tricky 8 742 Scotland
1 Jul 2009 4:57PM

Quote:Yeah - the model I got for my son has the manual adapter fitted. Mine hasn't, but I'm looking out for one of these. Seems very odd that Olympus didn't have these added as standard, but I guess they were aimed for a different level than the OM1...

Cristian

If you can find an OM1 at a decent price buy it. Best film camera I ever used. Almost silent with the smoothest shutter ever and very compact. With the Zuiko 40mm f2 pancake lens it could fit into an inside jacket pocket. Fantastic camera. Better than the OM2 and OM4 I have and more compact and better handling than the Nikon Fs and F2 I own too.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.