Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

From Digital to Film....

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Cristian
Cristian  9950 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2009 - 6:11 PM

It's finally happened, after almost 5 years shooting with a digital slr, I've just bought an old manual film slr.

My son is geting ready for his GCSE's so I bought him a 2nd hand Olympus OM10 and a few lenses. Having had a play with it, I've just bought myself another one, plus 50mm & 28mm lenses. Loaded up the film and on my way. Figured that this would be a useful lesson for both of us to think a little more about each shot and make full use of the manual settings.

Watch out for the uploads....

Cristian

Last Modified By Cristian at 31 May 2009 - 6:11 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 May 2009 - 6:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
31 May 2009 - 6:33 PM

OM10..???

Great choice. See if you can find a Manual Adaptor for it - for later...

Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 31 May 2009 - 6:33 PM
Cristian
31 May 2009 - 6:51 PM

Yeah - the model I got for my son has the manual adapter fitted. Mine hasn't, but I'm looking out for one of these. Seems very odd that Olympus didn't have these added as standard, but I guess they were aimed for a different level than the OM1...

Cristian

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 102980 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2009 - 7:30 PM

I shoot nothing but manual with digital as old habits die hard having used film since the last century Smile . It is all about exposure which after some time time can be roughly judged with the eye.
Ken

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2009 - 7:57 PM

MMmm So my mint ( With brand new light seals & mirror foam + Shiny new focus screen ) factory black OM10 Quartz, With manual adapter and genuine ever ready case, etc etc......Just might be worth..........!!!

!

!

!

Keeping ..........Smile

LOL....But seriously the OM10 is a great little camera, But it did have one small fault related to the shutters electro/magnetic trigger, If you have any problems, There is an Olympus dealer in " Luton " who can repair it...Aparently it was a faulty component, And a well known problem to Olympus at the time......Sad

Cristian
31 May 2009 - 8:06 PM

Thanks for the shutter tip. These cameras are going for about 20-30 on ebay as everyone now seems to be digital.

Anyway, lets me have a nostalgic flirt with the 80's, without having to buy a TR7 Smile

Cristian

matt5791
matt5791  10747 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jun 2009 - 6:37 AM

Next thing - get a paterson tank, a changing bag and scanner, and process black and white films for a few pence.

That's where the real fun is!

Cristian
13 Jun 2009 - 5:56 PM

Just added a manual adapter for my OM10, so fully manual now. Film loaded and ready to go....

Planning on running off some colour film, just to see how it goes and then I may get some B&W film and even some infra-red.

I can feel the creative juices flowing already....

Cristian

Last Modified By Cristian at 13 Jun 2009 - 5:57 PM
Professional
19 Jun 2009 - 11:37 PM

I was thinking of this move as well [digital to film].

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139449 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2009 - 1:45 AM

It may make you think about what you are shooting rather than machine-gunning as many do. That can only be a good thing.

Even though I have shot on digital exclusively for 7 years now, I still tend to treat my cameras as if they have a roll of 36 in them. Smile

Professional
21 Jun 2009 - 3:46 PM

I shoot everything, so even if i have film then i will shoot some of what i shoot with digital, this question of what you shoot can be helpful for people who shoot one or 2 things, but us who shoot from landscape to sports, and portraits to wildlife can't decide easily and want everything to shoot with.
I treat my digital as film as well, just i don't fire hundreds or thousands to get a shot, i just do all adjustments, measuring and settings and take the shot, many times you don't have time to take many shots to pick one or 2, so do it right first time, and i am advanced now, so i know what to shoot and how to shoot.

jrfoto
jrfoto  7 United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2009 - 5:55 PM

I Have an old Canon F-1 and a couple of lenses. I find it quite instructive to handle from time to time and kind of marvel at how few controls and 'options' it has. You set shutter speed, aperture, focus, shoot - that's it, no modes, no gadgets, nothing. Quite refreshing really. I think it's instructive to get back to basics sometimes, and also (as someone else said) I think the limit of 36 shots on a roll makes you think more about each shot, rather than just popping away with the digital. And... a silver print made from a negative is still very nice!

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2009 - 11:48 PM

Quote: Even though I have shot on digital exclusively for 7 years now, I still tend to treat my cameras as if they have a roll of 36 in them.

ID11 doesn't do much for the memory card, though, CB!!! Wink
jas

RogBrown
RogBrown  73006 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2009 - 12:21 AM

Quote: ID11 doesn't do much for the memory card, though

Nah. D76 much better! Smile

66tricky
66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
1 Jul 2009 - 4:57 PM

Quote: Yeah - the model I got for my son has the manual adapter fitted. Mine hasn't, but I'm looking out for one of these. Seems very odd that Olympus didn't have these added as standard, but I guess they were aimed for a different level than the OM1...

Cristian

If you can find an OM1 at a decent price buy it. Best film camera I ever used. Almost silent with the smoothest shutter ever and very compact. With the Zuiko 40mm f2 pancake lens it could fit into an inside jacket pocket. Fantastic camera. Better than the OM2 and OM4 I have and more compact and better handling than the Nikon Fs and F2 I own too.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.