Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

From Digital to Film....

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

RogBrown
RogBrown  72996 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jul 2009 - 7:45 PM

Yeah, don't like those washed-out highlights! Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Jul 2009 - 7:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225727 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jul 2009 - 10:39 PM

Found this on the net and thought that it might bring back some memories to you, Rog.

(And interest any new guys thinking of film processing)

here

jas

(Edit: don't use the 'Copper Intensifier' if you are taking pics in the area of Westminster Bridge, London Wink )

Last Modified By Just Jas at 15 Jul 2009 - 10:45 PM
RogBrown
RogBrown  72996 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2009 - 3:06 PM

Wow. A few blasts from the past there Jas. Unitol? Universol? Remember them well. Ta for that.
Rog

Just Jas
17 Jul 2009 - 1:07 PM

I have just bought three 35mm film cameras, for my collection, from a local charity shop. All appear to be in good working order.

1) Halina 500. A substantial metal body, auto exposure, lens 40mm/f2.8, focusing ring symbol marked , and aperture ring f2.8 to f22 used for external flash on hot shoe or PC cord. Pressing the shutter release, on the front of the body, stops down the aperture to the selected aperture, further pressure fires the shutter.

Battery: LR9 (PX625) 1.29 from 7DS

Probably the best of the cameras I've seen at the low end of the market, bearing in mind what the ordinary man in the street would want, and could afford, for his family and holiday snaps, at that time. I would have been pleased to have had such a camera at the age of 15 (too long ago!).

2) Yashica T3 Supar film compact, Tessar T* f2.8/35mm fixed lens shower proof body. Auto-exposure and auto-focus. LED read-out. Built-in flash.

Battery PS2CR5C1 2.99 from 7DS

I seriously intend to use this camera for those occasions where I do not want to lug a SLR outfit around. With its additional (small) viewfinder in the top of the camera body it could be useful for the candid type shot.

3) Olympus Superzoom 70G film compact. Similar to the Yashica, but has an Olympus 38-70mm zoom lens. An attractive little camera.

Battery CR123A 1.59 from 7DS

I sure am going to have some fun trying out and using these cameras over the next few weeks (I have never used a film compact camera before).

Is this not what photography is all about, enjoying it?
jas

Last Modified By Just Jas at 17 Jul 2009 - 1:12 PM
randomrubble
17 Jul 2009 - 5:07 PM

The T3 is a nice little camera with a good lens, I've actually been hoping to stumble on one in my local charity shops. My latest addition is a Ricoh 500G for 4.

Last Modified By randomrubble at 17 Jul 2009 - 5:08 PM
Just Jas
18 Jul 2009 - 10:30 PM

Quote: The T3 is a nice little camera with a good lens,

Tried mine out in earnest this afternoon. As it was raining most of the time it was the camera of choice. It worked steadily throughout the downpour, no problems.

Look forward to seeing the results later in the week.
jas

dwilkin
dwilkin e2 Member 724249 forum postsdwilkin vcard United Kingdom
24 Jul 2009 - 12:04 PM

last call for 'One Camera, One Lens' - last years meeting was 'the most fun I had with a camera all year!' Wink

Smurfmuffin
28 Jul 2009 - 10:45 PM

I still have my Canon AE1, which I bought second hand 20 years ago. Its been the best investment I have ever made - I have three lenses (standard 50mm, 35 - 70mm & 18 - 55mm). I think that the 35-70 is the best for me but I guess its all personal choices. It has a shutter priority over the apiture, which all the sports photographers loved when it was at the cutting edge as its brilliant for those amongst us who loves rallies, hill climbs and motorsports generally, as well as having a well deserved reputation in other fields too.

Can I suggest if you're getting your films developed by someone else, you try a one man band. I have one about half hour from me. Not only the development of the film is excellent quality, I often get a free 35mm film replacement and for the right money, they'll put the negs onto disc too. They can only fit approx 100 pics per disc - not sure how that works as yet - but they are often better quality than some of the high street chains I've tried.

Smurfmuffin
28 Jul 2009 - 10:47 PM

Ive missed the one camera, one lens event. Can you let me know when the next one is as really would loved to have attended. Cheers

KenKerr
KenKerr  4
30 Jul 2009 - 5:28 AM

I am trying to find how much the overall photographic film market has declined in the last few years due to the use of digital cameras. Can anyone please provide a reference for this?

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 1 Aug 2009 - 2:42 PM
joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2009 - 8:31 AM

Well, you could try doing your own research. I'm sure it's not that hard.

Anecdotal evidence suggests film sales have stabilised due to amateurs wanting to try something more challenging after mastering digital as well as pros who see an advantage in keeping a foot in both camps.

dwilkin
dwilkin e2 Member 724249 forum postsdwilkin vcard United Kingdom
30 Jul 2009 - 10:08 AM

Quote: Ive missed the one camera, one lens event. Can you let me know when the next one is as really would loved to have attended. Cheers

Considering that only 4 of us turned up on Sunday, there may not be another one, without a considerable upsurge in interest!

503CW
503CW  4 United Kingdom
30 Jul 2009 - 2:45 PM

Quote: Well, you could try doing your own research. I'm sure it's not that hard.

Anecdotal evidence suggests film sales have stabilised due to amateurs wanting to try something more challenging after mastering digital as well as pros who see an advantage in keeping a foot in both camps.

Yes - I'd side with this, but especially in relation to B&W products - ironic isn't it! I bet many people thought B&W products would die a death once colour become affordable in the '70's!

Angus.

keith selmes
30 Jul 2009 - 9:05 PM

For film sales data, google "kodak film sales", then the same for fuji and ilford, gets you a lot of info.

Last Modified By keith selmes at 30 Jul 2009 - 9:06 PM
tg
tg  1086 forum posts Scotland
31 Jul 2009 - 10:06 AM

Congratulations! I think more should follow in your steps. Film photography, in my opinion, is so much fun.... and the anticipation of waiting for the film to come back from the lab adds a little extra excitement. The posty, has literally just dropped off a batch of slides. Time to get the lightbox out......

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.