Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

From Digital to Film....

Henchard e2
9 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
31 Jul 2009 10:11AM

Quote:the anticipation of waiting for the film to come back from the lab adds a little extra excitement.

Especially with the Royal Mail delivering it Wink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Quote:Especially with the Royal Mail delivering it

They're pretty good around our way.
The results that I have had back from the Yashica T3 Supar were very good and the results from the Olympus Superzoom G70 excellent!
jas
9 Sep 2009 1:27PM
I still use film cameras for Black & White photos, I use a Nikon FM2 most of the time, but sometimes I use my Nikon F4 when I can be bothered to lug it around.
Scotty e2
10 64 1 Scotland
9 Sep 2009 7:09PM

Quote:I still use film cameras for Black & White photos, I use a Nikon FM2 most of the time, but sometimes I use my Nikon F4 when I can be bothered to lug it around.

it's always worth lugging a Nikon F4 around.... I just wish I had more chance to use mine!
9 Sep 2009 7:59PM
I just made a switch into the world of film photography, starting with a Canon Rebel G. Though not what even I (who has little experiance with film) would concider to be a great camera, it is a decent starting point, I think.

Any advice anyone could give me would be very helpful and I'd be even more grateful.
10 Sep 2009 7:41AM

Quote:Quote:I still use film cameras for Black & White photos, I use a Nikon FM2 most of the time, but sometimes I use my Nikon F4 when I can be bothered to lug it around.it's always worth lugging a Nikon F4 around.... I just wish I had more chance to use mine!
As much as I love my F4 I still prefer my Nikon FM2.
Daffy1 e2
7 337 Ireland
10 Sep 2009 5:40PM
B&W rolls returned picture from Zeiss Ikon not too bad.
Got more rolls of ASA 50 & 400, also got new lightmeter.
I shall post picture in the future!

Damian
12 Sep 2009 12:22AM

Quote:Congratulations! I think more should follow in your steps. Film photography, in my opinion, is so much fun.... and the anticipation of waiting for the film to come back from the lab adds a little extra excitement. The posty, has literally just dropped off a batch of slides. Time to get the lightbox out......
LOL If the waiting is the thing then just stay digi and post your cf card to yourself. Hey presto, anticipation AND the knowledge that you wont be disappointed by crap shots you thought were going to be great.
Strobe e2
7 1.3k United States
12 Sep 2009 6:49AM
I have just bought a Nikon FM3a and will be the first time I will be seriously using film, I am planning to use B/W only.
the greatest excitement for me is visualising what the photo is going to look like without having the immediate digital result to check whether you succeeded. Setting the right exposure by looking at the zones and compensating in steps is a thrill. I find that part of the digital crowd often strongly trusts on doing it properly in photoshop. And let's face it, new dslr have fantastic metering that can make you very very lazy, technically. I bought a second hand hasselblad 500 with standard zeiss 80 mm (ca. 40 in 35mm) and a second hand Leica M6 with zeiss 28. Before the latter I had a Contax G2 with 5 zeiss lenses (stolen...). The fully manual cameras such as the hassie and the leica are the most fun and in B&W, film has that own vocabulary that will always be special and hard to copy by purely digital means
Oh, and don't forget to invest in a good external meter that does spot, center weighted and incidence. If I do an incidence reading with the hasselblad especially the exposure will be dead perfect, every time. Great for the harder lighting situations.
27 Sep 2009 5:50PM

Quote:LOL If the waiting is the thing then just stay digi and post your cf card to yourself. Hey presto, anticipation AND the knowledge that you wont be disappointed by crap shots you thought were going to be great.

Crap shots - the sole perogative of the Digi boys who have to check every shot on the back of the camera to see if they've done it right...!!! Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.