Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

From laptop to pc-not the image I processed!

SosFM 5 81 1 United Kingdom
13 Aug 2010 6:48PM
I am currently processing a load of images taken on a fortnights holiday using CS4 on a laptop from work. So far I have done a 1/4 of them. I transferred one image from the laptop onto my pc with the intention of putting it onto flickr only to discover it was far too dark. It was nothing like the image I had processed originally. I had to adjust the levels to get it back to the way I originally intended it to be. How can there be such a drastic difference between two screens? Admittedly the lap top is much newer than my pc and screen but the difference in images was drastic!
Any advice? I now fear that all the images I have worked on are going to be like this and am going to have to adjust them again when I transfer them to my pc. As I stated it is a work laptop so I dont have the option of leaving them there.Sad

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c 10 4.5k 36 England
13 Aug 2010 6:53PM
You need to calibrate your laptop and PC's screen.
13 Aug 2010 8:19PM
So how do Igo about getting my laptop to be the same as my pc which is whereI do the majority of my processing. I do not possess a calibration device.
justin c 10 4.5k 36 England
13 Aug 2010 8:49PM
You could try and adjust both of them manually until they look similar, but a much more accurate way would be to buy a monitor calibration device and use that.
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
14 Aug 2010 12:11AM
I reckon your first step should be to check both screens against a gradation strip like the one at the bottom of this page. Calibration is largely about brightness - in fact in terms of hardware adjustments it's typically the only one you can make, with gamma and white point adjustments both being software based (brightness adjustment is known as 'black point adjustment').

A calibration device is largely about producing a monitor profile despite its name, although it first walks you through the calibration process and takes that data into account. Some of these devices allow you to select a target luminance point, which is obviously good for matching multiple screens.

There are intrinsic differences between typical laptop screens and PC screens. Laptops on average have a lower colour gamut, and lower contrast ratio, and increasingly they have LED backlighting - which reaches full luminance instantaneously, whereas a PC screen's usual CCFL backlighting has a warm-up time.
14 Aug 2010 9:22AM
Thanks for that Glenn. Believe it or not I had never scrolled that far down an ephoto page to see that (lazy). I notice it says 16 shades, I only see 15 because the last two blacks appear the same to me on my pc. So will give that a go, hopefully that will improve things.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.