Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Frozen Planet

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2011 - 8:41 AM

Another vote for Simon King

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Nov 2011 - 8:41 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96339 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2011 - 9:41 AM

Quote: Who will take over from David Attenbough?

I vaguely recall a lady who has done some wildlife documentaries, possibly something to do with "Big Cats" ? but alas Sad I cannot remember her name just now.

mikehit
mikehit  56679 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2011 - 10:06 AM

Do you mean Saba Douglas-Hamilton on Big Cat Diary?

I think David Attenbrough has fireside manner that communicates his wonder of the natural world, not just adding a commentary to a programme. Simon King is OK in short doses but I am not sure I could put up with im for a 12-programme series.
I liked the style of Gordon Buchanan who presented the short series 'The Bear Family and me'.

Jestertheclown
21 Nov 2011 - 10:36 AM

In reality, I don't think that anyone could replace David Attenborough.

mikehit
mikehit  56679 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2011 - 11:11 AM

Someone will have to when he retires, unless of course they totally stop making this sort of series. Is there anything else they can do a mega-series on?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2011 - 11:32 AM

I have it on good authority from media luvvies that, at present, any producer wanting to make a major natural history series just needs to say the words "David Attenborough" to guarantee funding and acceptance!

I doubt there is anyone else - as yet - who could fulfil that role, from a commercial point of view. Luckily Attenborough has said he no intention whatever of retiring. But it is possible that big budget series will become a rarity, if he is no longer available for this type of thing.

Jestertheclown
21 Nov 2011 - 11:38 AM

Quote: unless of course they totally stop making this sort of series.

That could well be the case Denny.

All of these series (and let's not forget that they go back decades) rely upon Attenborough's input.
If there's no-one else that can command that kind of interest, and I don't think for a moment that there is anyone, then it will be the end of an era in braodcasting.
It would be similar to that ludicrous farce when one of the TV companies used Philip Scofield to cover the recent(ish) Royal Wedding because they couldn't get Dimbleby to do it.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 21 Nov 2011 - 11:40 AM
annettep38
annettep38 e2 Member 3188 forum postsannettep38 vcard France32 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2011 - 11:42 AM

I'm glad we can get it here on the slightly illegal satellite.
I don't understand why BBC dosn't allow you to subscribe outside the UK

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315605 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2011 - 2:13 PM

Quote: I don't understand why BBC dosn't allow you to subscribe outside the UK

Because they like to tax people for using there service Sad

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2011 - 2:27 PM

Probably because people in the UK pay to receive the BBC and it would be too much messing to set up some sort of payment scheme to receive the service abroad. Smile

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  3836 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Nov 2011 - 2:35 PM

Don't forget that Auntie Beeb buys in the UK broadcasting rights for many foreign (and probably quite a few UK) productions, but does not have the right to broadcast them outside the UK.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2011 - 2:35 PM

Over here, I get all the BBC channels on cable but they still don't allow me to use iPlayer. Sad

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023171 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2011 - 2:46 PM

Jools,

tvproxy.co.uk

??

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2011 - 2:51 PM

Sounds like a plan... Wink

NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Nov 2011 - 3:37 PM

TRY taking a holiday to the artic circle instead of Costa Lotta for a change.
We went on a cruise from Harwich last year and saw amazing scenery and wildlife Ok so it was cold so you dress appropriately after all you wouldn't take a fur coat to Costa Lotta.
Definetly going back for more and watching "Frozen Planet" just makes me want to get back there sooner rather than later

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.