Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Fuji Bridge Camera decision

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

drdroad
drdroad  2 United States
1 Aug 2012 - 9:54 PM

I'm considering getting a Fuji Bridge camera to complement my DSLR. Under consideration is the X-S1, HS20, HS25, HS30. I wish I could find a way to compare them side by side, but I don't see this on the Fuji website (and the HS20 isn't even showing any longer). The main reason I'm considering Fuji is for the tilting display and RAW processing. I'm a Canon guy, but like most manufacturers, they don't include RAW on their Bridge cameras anymore. Wish I'd realized that before I bought a SX40. I love the camera, but want RAW.

I'm hoping participates here that know more about Fuji can help me with pro and cons. Thanks, Dave

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Aug 2012 - 9:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315154 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
1 Aug 2012 - 10:02 PM

The X-s1 is good but its the size and weight of a dslr with a lens.

The x10 is superb for its size, no tilting screen but it does have a basic optical viewfinder.

bigalguitarpicker

I've had a Fuji S5000, followed by the S7000 (which I still have) and I now use a FujiFinepix S3 Pro. If you've already got a DSLR, I don't know why you'd want to have a bridge camera. Unless it's because of the weight of a DSLR. Shutter lag alone would put me off. It's the major drawback of my S7000 (Which was Digital Camera's Camera of the Year in 2007). I would consider a compact camera to carry in my shirt pocket for the occasions when my DSLR is too unwieldy (most of the time!! GrinGrinGrin) but carrying a bridge camera around? You'd maybe be better with your DSLR.

drdroad
drdroad  2 United States
1 Aug 2012 - 10:15 PM

You're not thinking bigal. The major advantage of a Bridge Camera is it has one lens that covers what requires several lenses on a DSLR, and at a much lower weight. I've been carrying on my shoulder a Bridge camera for at least a decade, and they all offered RAW until this Canon one. Additionally I have a pocket camera for the rare instances I don't have my Bridge OR DSLR with me.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315154 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
1 Aug 2012 - 11:00 PM

Quote: I'm hoping participates here that know more about Fuji can help me with pro and cons

The cheaper Fuji`s are just average, the x series use a larger better sensor.

Quote: I'm considering getting a Fuji Bridge camera to complement my DSLR

In this case it would be better to get a second body.

bigalguitarpicker

Quote: You're not thinking bigal. The major advantage of a Bridge Camera is it has one lens that covers what requires several lenses on a DSLR, and at a much lower weight. I've been carrying on my shoulder a Bridge camera for at least a decade, and they all offered RAW until this Canon one. Additionally I have a pocket camera for the rare instances I don't have my Bridge OR DSLR with me.

No, I'm thinking OK Wink all the advantages of a bridge camera are negated by shutter lag and an electronic viewfinder, unless of course, shuttter lag has been improved since I bought my S7000 and optical viewfinders are standard. I'd only use my bridge if my DSLR broke down.

andart
andart  12478 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Aug 2012 - 9:30 AM

try DPreview for a side by side comparison.

User_Removed
2 Aug 2012 - 10:30 AM

Maybe consider a lighter version of your dslr...if nikon im thinking d3200....latest spec...your lenses fit and a back up if your main dslr fails...im sure canon have a similar model in their range and raw is no problem.

The issue of shutter lag is a very real one...I love my Panasonic LX3 with its Leica lens but whilst out on the bmw with it in my pocket the local french vintage car rally turned up...cue 20 or 30 shots of half cars and a promise to risk my old D70 in the bikes tank bag in future...stuart

petebfrance
2 Aug 2012 - 4:20 PM

I have been looking into bridge cameras for a while as my Fuji S5600 has been playing up during the damp weather - thankfully it's OK now, so I don't have to make a decision.

The Canon was one of the more attractive options because of IQ but according to the Epz review it's a fair bit slower than the Fuji HS30 (which has a better viewfinder than its predecessors and uses a proprietry battery rather AAs). Another I considered was the Panasonic FZ150 - lots of rave reviews but with the shorter reach (equiv 600mm) a lot of people on Birdforum appear to be using it with a teleconverter - it does, however, shoot raw and, like the Canon, has a more sensible 12mp sensor. The Panasonic FZ200 should be coming out soon and is to have a constant f2.8 across the range - again up to 600mm, I forget what the wide end was, it was adequate etc.

The Nikon P510 has a massive reach, seems to get good reviews but a lot of the people on Birdforum (not all, I admit) say the autofocus is 'not bird freindly' and focusses on something else instead (?), and for some reason I never really fancied the Sony offering.

The X-S1 I did consider. It's quite expensive, though, and the tele reach is not that long. I also did not like the first photos coming from the X10 because of how bad the highlights were - this was actually before the blooming issue became a bit of a mania - so was a bit wary of the X-S1 as I believe it uses the same sensor.

Of the bird photographs I saw the ones produced by the Canon impressed me most - I'd like the longer reach to see if I can get some reasonable bird shots, but have gone off it a bit having found how the speed (autofocus) timings compare to my current camera.

I guess I'd go for the Fuji HS30 at the moment, but rather reluctantly, so I'm rather glad that my S5600 is behaving OK - I'll just put up with the shorter reach. Except for the forthcoming FZ200 (which doesn't have the longer reach I want) the widest aperture at the tele end isn't so good - on mine it's f3.5 and that can be limiting enough.

Last Modified By petebfrance at 2 Aug 2012 - 4:21 PM
petebfrance
2 Aug 2012 - 4:35 PM

Sorry, I need to add a rider to the above comments (I was too late to edit).
I haven't actually tried any of them out - camera shops are pretty-much non-existent here, so all of the above is based on hours of reading, re-reading reviews (and hoping against hope to find Nirvana....which I didn't)

Last Modified By petebfrance at 2 Aug 2012 - 4:37 PM
Paul Morgan
2 Aug 2012 - 6:59 PM

Quote: The X-S1 I did consider. It's quite expensive, though, and the tele reach is not that long

How much reach do you need is 24mm to 624mm not enough Smile

The lens is Stella on that XS-1.

Quote: I also did not like the first photos coming from the X10 because of how bad the highlights were - this was actually before the blooming issue became a bit of a mania - so was a bit wary of the X-S1 as I believe it uses the same sensor

That was a storm in a tea cup, in reality very few sensors were effected in a really bad way.

petebfrance
3 Aug 2012 - 12:02 AM

Quote: How much reach do you need is 24mm to 624mm not enough

Lord knows! A fair number of the birders use teleconverters on top of the 600mm FZ150 lenses as the reach just isn't long enough. Quite a few seem to be getting good results using the digital zoom on top of the Canon's whatever-it-is. I suspect about 800mm equiv., but I guess the more the merrier. My current camera is something like 386mm equiv (with no IS - but it works). Cropping on a larger sensor (more Mp, but within reason, of course) would give some extra help, etc. but as I tend to keep cameras for some time I wouldn't want to be under - er - zoomed.

Quote: That was a storm in a tea cup, in reality very few sensors were effected in a really bad way.

Yes, that was all rather unfortunate, to put it mildly Sad

Incidentally, one of the things I like in particular about the S5600 which appears to have gone the way of the dodo is the lens with internal focus and zoom. The whole unit it 'quite' well sealed - no dust vacuum (as far as I can tell), no rotating / extending elements etc. Very neat...

frenchie44
3 Aug 2012 - 7:17 AM

I bought the Fuji Xs-1 as a present for one of my sons, he wanted to do some wildlife shots.
i tried it as well, its amazing value, the picture quality is very good, it handles well. the lens is long enough for small birds, stabilisation works very well.
you cannot compare it to any of the other fuji bridge cameras, he already had a fuji with 35 to 420 approx lens, the xs-1 is far superior in every way. at 100 iso an A4 print from a 60D and the fuji xs-1 would look the same, at A3 it may be different. at 800 iso there is a difference but only if you look for it. when we go out together he carries the xs-1 and i have 60d plus 150-500 sigma, i am fully loaded and he has a camera strung around his neck, no problem.

frenchie44
3 Aug 2012 - 7:20 AM

on Flickr there is a chap that uses the XS-1 for wildlife, i cannot remember his full name but signs in as tony????? look for XS-1 pictures and his pics will come up, his bird shots are very good.
that was the clincher to buy the camera for my son

petebfrance
3 Aug 2012 - 10:33 AM

Hi frenchie44
Thanks for the heads up.
I guess it depends on what one wants. I did look at Flickr - a guy called Tonysturn or something like that? They're OK, but even so the lack of zoom would still be a problem. Other than snaps taken in the garden (which seems to be infested with chaffinches this year), for the most part I'm walking the coastal path here and getting reasonably close to birds is difficult. There are no hides, just have to be sneaky!
Incidentally, my comment that I'd go for the HS30 yesterday was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction having compared the speed to that of my current camera. I found the figures for the S5600 yesterday for the first time on Imaging Resources. If I were actually going buy (at the moment there's no need because my Fuji is behaving itself - I will reasses what's available when the need arises) I guess I'd still go for the Canon SX40. That is based on what I've seen in the various threads on Birdforum, a chap whose name I've forgotten on DPR and a few others I came across when researching.
But we are all different, and of course it's only my opinion Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.