Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Fuji Cameras - opinions

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96032 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jun 2005 - 9:06 AM

Hello all - I currently own a Nikon 950, Minolta E323 and Fuji 2800z, none of which I have any intention of getting rid of. However you may notice from my portfolio that my camera of choice is the Fuji as none of the others come close to sharpness but I do like the Nikon for the greater range of manual control. Can anyone suggest another Fuji that would give me the best of both? I'm looking for something manageable ie. not a DSLR but I'm not desperate for a pocket sized camera - the Minolta serves that purpose.

I fully intend to do lots of research but would appreciate any opinions offered by existing Fuji owners. Any suggestions at all in fact. I would also add that I'm not particularly looking for a brand new camera - quite happy with second-hand.
Thanks - Alison

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Jun 2005 - 9:06 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

exclusive
exclusive  9579 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Jun 2005 - 10:06 AM

im not a Fuji owner and haven't really used their cameras, but i notice that Canon seems to be missing from your list. their A series compacts are incredible, my shot of El Palmar was taken on one and the colours have not been tweaked or anything.

The A95 is a very good camera with full manual control and preset modes. it can accept a large range of teleconverters and filter holders etc.. it also goes down to 15 seconds which is more than most i think

for more money the Canon G series is often found in professionals bags. the quality is superb with massive 7.1 resolution and RAW image it doensn't get any better.

The Pro1 may also be worth looking at. but i think your best bet is G series.

www.dpreview.com has the best reviews os look on there.

baker58
baker58  11101 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Jun 2005 - 10:32 AM

The Fuji E550 gets good reviews. It has 6.3 megapixels,3x optical zoom can save as RAW and JPEG and has auto and manual control. Going quite cheaply at Amazon - 159.

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96032 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jun 2005 - 10:46 AM

Hello again - thank you both for your replies. I've made a note of your suggestions and will have a look at dpreview very shortly. Certainly I'm not going to dismiss any other makes - I simply have the most experience with two Fuji's to date and have been extremely happy with both. The only other camera I've played with to date is the Canon D30 which, apart from being way too hefty for me, also doesn't produce very sharp images straight off the card but have to be sharpened somewhat on the computer.

Right, off to dpreview!

Alison

fauxtography
5 Jun 2005 - 10:48 AM

Before I moved up to a DSLR i used a fuji S7000, i found this to be a very capable "bridge" camera, but like most lacked the full control of a DSLR, such as a proper bulb setting rather than one that maxed out at 15secs. The S7000 shoots RAW, has a good lens and is pretty wide if you get the convertor.

The S7000 and the S20 are worth checking out.

robadsy
robadsy  9348 forum posts
5 Jun 2005 - 10:49 AM

hello, i have an s5500. love it.

4MP 15 secs - 1/2000 f2.8 in manual mode.

is an "slr style" camera 10x optical zoom (37 - 370mm)

is very light.

exposure bracketing. RAW mode. 3 frame burst @ 2 frames per second or 40 frame burst @ 1.6 frames per second.

alternative is s7000 up in megapixels and stuff like histograms. 6x optical zoom. lovely camera, but i wanted the long lens.

i suppose check out my portfolio for results, im sure i dont push this camera to its limits.

all the best! ads :o)

theorderingone
5 Jun 2005 - 10:51 AM

I wouldn't turn your nose up at the Nikon 950 so quickly, The first three quarters of my portfolio were taken with that camera and I loved it to bits.

Wish I still had it really

cattyal
5 Jun 2005 - 11:18 AM

More replies - thank you all Smile

My list of cameras to check out is growing longer - lots to think about there and your input is greatly appreciated and very useful to take a look at your pictures to see what can be achieved.

I shall persevere with Nikon as well though - I'm definitely not going to part with any of my current cameras - they all excel in different situations so all get used regularly.

I'll also admit that I want a new 'toy' to play with Smile

Alison

aftertherain
5 Jun 2005 - 1:06 PM

Listen you just cannot beat the Fuji S7000.
It is an amazing camera and knocks the prosumer competition into a cocked hat.
Amazing macro, great colour and pin sharp.
Have a look through the gallery some of the best stuff has been taken with the Fuji S7000.
Arwensgrace didn't get along well with hers because she shoots in low light, maybe you could make her an offer for it.
Merl.

aftertherain
5 Jun 2005 - 1:08 PM

Sometimes Fuji offer refurbished camera's on their website, mine was one of them and it's been great.
I have just got a D70 just for the versatility of filters and stuff but I wouldn't part with my Fuji.

UKmac
UKmac e2 Member 9UKmac vcard Scotland
5 Jun 2005 - 2:16 PM

Hi all, I use Fugi 602, I think it is a fantastic camera, but I'm saving for a DSLR Fugi S3, what a camera (both).....
I have used many other digital non-DSLR cameras, and the Fugi beats them all.
Just my two pennies worth

Steve : Scotland

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jun 2005 - 2:28 PM

Before you splash out a lot on an S3 take a serious look at the 20D and D70. Also read the reviews on places like DPreview where you can see side by side comparisons. I also note Minoltas dSLR has taken a price nose dive. The s3 looks a mite expensive for what it is. Could be a good time to get an S2 though.

As for the prosumers the Fuji offerings tend to offer lots of camera for your money, but, some people do not like the noise/artifacts they produce when compared to the offerings from others. Many of the competitors are offering IS in their cameras, and that means you can stay at the low ISO settings for longer, giving a clear advantage.

clintnewsham
clintnewsham e2 Member 996 forum postsclintnewsham vcard England
5 Jun 2005 - 2:47 PM

hi, i started with a fuji s5500 and got some great results but didnt have the freedom of lens change that i have with the 300d, i bought my wife samantha the s7000 and the results she gets from it are amazing,check out her portfolio and you,ll see what i mean. hope this helps.

clint

johnriley1uk
johnriley1uk e2 Member 1026 forum postsjohnriley1uk vcard United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jun 2005 - 3:41 PM

At our camera club (ADAPS) we have quite a few Fuji S7000 users, and these cameras produce superb results at a relatively low price. The close focusing features are of special note, and focusing is possible down to around 1cm from the front element.

All the DSLRs are probably fine, but Sue and I are really pleased with our Pentax *istDS. Fantastic design and top notch results. The alternative best buy for me would be the Nikon D70.

Whatever you buy, have lots of fun and take loads of photographs! Then post them on ePHOTOzine so we can all share the results....

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jun 2005 - 4:25 PM

Purchase of a 300D has not put my S602Z on the 'back shelf'. In fact, I used it today.

A camera with an effective equivalent zoom lens range of 35-210mm, smaller than the 300D with its kit lens, it is pretty useful!

A couple of lightweight converters can extend the range to 28mm to 315mm eqv.

The viewfinder on the 300D is, of course, better than the evf on the S602Z. But I never found it to be a problem in practise.

jas

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.