Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Fuji HS30, anybody?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mad abt cars & gals

I've been toying with the idea of getting a bridge camera/ZLR as a walk around/travel shots camera instead of a full kit (2 body, 3 lens etc) bag all the time and the specs of the Fuji HS30 seem impressive...Anybody here who has actually used the camera? Would be interested in knowing what you think of of it's performance and if you would recommend it to others...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Jan 2013 - 10:09 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ste_p0270
    ste_p0270  363 forum posts England
    26 Jan 2013 - 12:59 PM

i previously owned the HS30's older brother, the HS20EXR.

good camera for what you pay really, only really let down by a distinct lack of sharpness
    at the long focal range (as to be expected really). my HS20EXR also exhibited a "oil" painting
    effect when pictures were viewed on the pc.

the HS30 adds a much better EVF by all accounts but takes away the opportunity to use
    common or garden AA batteries (which depending on preference may be a better option).

have a looksy at the HS30 on flickr... some very decent pictures on there. Smile

Last Modified By ste_p0270 at 26 Jan 2013 - 1:03 PM
    MichaelMelb_AU
    26 Jan 2013 - 9:39 PM

I own HS30, and happy with it. But with that the camera is quite specific - see my personal review here.
    The camera is very capable and can do right stuff under good guidance:

What makes it simply great for me - it's a camera second to my DSLR and it has manual zoom and dedicated buttons at the rear - just as DSLR does. In fact, it is so versatile and so closely reminds DSLR ergonomics-wise that I end up taking it instead of "real thing" if I am not planning on taking images for large prints, which is most of time. Sure, when I need to do an in-house portrait DSLR with 50mm prime is my choice. Smile I recommend HS30 as a great walkabout camera. The only thing with it is the learning curve. This camera needs some time to be spent mastering it. If you are looking for something simpler, lighter and of similar image quality - Nikon's P510 may be worth attention.

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 26 Jan 2013 - 9:44 PM
    mad abt cars & gals

Thanks for the responses, guys...a few more queries...would you use this camera for sports photography? Also, the huge zoom range is attractive but is the lens stabilised at max reach or does one have to use a high shutter speed and hope for the best? Are there any external flashguns available for it?

dcash29
    dcash29  81904 forum posts England
    27 Jan 2013 - 9:59 PM

check out the Fuji XS-1 if you fancy something a little bigger

Last Modified By dcash29 at 27 Jan 2013 - 10:00 PM
    MichaelMelb_AU
    29 Jan 2013 - 8:38 AM

Quote: Thanks for the responses, guys...a few more queries...would you use this camera for sports photography? Also, the huge zoom range is attractive but is the lens stabilised at max reach or does one have to use a high shutter speed and hope for the best? Are there any external flashguns available for it?

For sports photography you need a DSLR. Period. HS30 (or any other bridge-cam) cannot focus that fast. More than a few good shots can be obtained though with careful planning and continuous capture.
    HS30 is stabilized by matrix shift, and holds pretty well in bright light. In dim light it's maximum open aperture at lens longest zoom is 5.6 - which sort of restricts having exposures short enough to keep everything pin-sharp. But , as compared to other cameras in it's class, HS30 is definitely very good. External flash.. i did not use one with this camera yet, and there might be a compatibility problem with TTL system, but simple stuff will work.
    Hope this helps.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.